comics

Hi everyone, I'm passionate about comics and would be interested to hear from anyone that shares this passion. I'd like to know what comics you enjoy reading and why? There are so many different types of comics out there, all utilising different techniques and different artistic styles. What are your favourites? I'm trying to develop a comic for individuals with ASD. A comic that would be entertaining, informative and something that individuals with ASD can relate to. I do not have ASD myself so I am trying to increase my awareness of the condition. I'd really like to hear everyone's opinions, good or bad, after all communication leads to understanding.

• I must say, I enjoyed comics as a kid.  Whether boys or girls comics, superheroes or Caspar the Friendly Ghost, I read the lot when I could.

And my favourite comic (for all the old timers) was the Eagle.  It was simply perfect.  Yes, I did learn a lot from it. And the adventures of Dan Dare were really exciting, even though I think the age in which it was set was about now (or was it? Was that just what I perceived at the time?) (As an aside, I think Dan Dare was resurrected for 2000AD for a period).

In amongst the pages of the Eagle was a series called 'Focus on Fact'.  Very educational and it certainly taught me a lot - learned about the scientist Fred Hoyle from that series, the bloke what coined the term Big Bang.  The art in the Eagle was superb. 

And never one to read fiction, comics were a way in which I read stories.  A companion comic to the Eagle was 'Boys World' which introduced me to Greek Mythology in a series called 'Wrath of the Gods'.

So yes, comics were a great help to me.  And I'm sure I'd still read them now if they were of the same quality, but as time has passed I find it difficult to follow the speech bubbles. Perhaps they were better in the old days!

Whether you could produce a comic specifically for those with an ASD, I don't know.  I'm sure comics appeal to those with ASDs just as they appeal to those without.

• vometia said:

I've completed it as an occasional comics reader (still have that elusive №1 of 2000AD lying around somewhere: it's not in the best condition as I found it in some bonfire kindling when I was about 10!) though I'm not sure how useful my answers were.  I'm slightly ambivalent about making a point of autistic characters: I'm not sure whether it's a good or a bad thing.

As I mentioned before, my current point of reference is more computer games than comics these days, and there are characters I've found out in hindsight were created as being ASD types though I didn't realise it at the time, e.g. a couple of notable characters in Bioshock for instance.  But it was just a case of creating their personalities rather than trying to be overt about it, I think.

I've seen other examples where certain things that are important to me are featured in character portrayals and I've felt a bit "hmm, I'm not totally sure", although some of that may simply be because it's unusual and breaking new ground.  Sorry, I'm being a bit vague here, it would probably help if I was more specific as I suck at alluding to things!

Speaking of aspies in computer games, have you played Borderlands 1/2? Patrica Tannis gives a reall aspy read to me especialy in the second where we get more insight into her head.

For me, comics are realy something I follow to talktoa  childhood freind, then the Marvel flicks came out, it became easyer to ask my parents /sister to help me colect those on gifting occasions. I do loe Judge Dredd though, and intermitantly pick up trades that intrest me. I;d like to finish off my Transmetpolitan collection, but its pricy.

• Wow! 2000AD No.1, I'd love to have that in my collection, my oldest 2000AD was from the mid-eighties. Thank you so much for participating Vometia.

• I've completed it as an occasional comics reader (still have that elusive №1 of 2000AD lying around somewhere: it's not in the best condition as I found it in some bonfire kindling when I was about 10!) though I'm not sure how useful my answers were.  I'm slightly ambivalent about making a point of autistic characters: I'm not sure whether it's a good or a bad thing.

As I mentioned before, my current point of reference is more computer games than comics these days, and there are characters I've found out in hindsight were created as being ASD types though I didn't realise it at the time, e.g. a couple of notable characters in Bioshock for instance.  But it was just a case of creating their personalities rather than trying to be overt about it, I think.

I've seen other examples where certain things that are important to me are featured in character portrayals and I've felt a bit "hmm, I'm not totally sure", although some of that may simply be because it's unusual and breaking new ground.  Sorry, I'm being a bit vague here, it would probably help if I was more specific as I suck at alluding to things!

• Hi again, I've added a couple of questions to the survey, for those that don't read comics. Even if you don't like comics I'd still like to get your feedback so here's the new link, goo.gl/.../WgF364WRL8mYVRl22. If you don't like comics the survey will take 2 mins to complete, if you do it will take about 20 min. Please participate. Thanks

• Here's a link to my survey, goo.gl/.../fBEfwNr5FAaFNURF3. If you read comics please participate. It shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes to complete and the results would really help my research. Thank you.

• I found this article with illustrator Zeke Clough on the network autism site today which provides more examples of how comics can help to strengthen communication. Here's the pages location if anyone is interested in reading it.

network.autism.org.uk/.../using-comic-strips-commuicate-autistic-people

• Thanks for the link Pixiefox. Dinah the Aspie dinosaur is brilliant. I really enjoyed these. It's a really fun way to discuss how Aspergers impacts on everyday life, and they are so colourful. I especially liked Dinah the Aspie Dinosaur and the Doctor Appointment and
    Dinah the Aspie Dinosaur and the Bus Stop, and Dinah the Aspie Dinosaur and the Morning Commute and...wait, I'll just say I liked them all. Thank you.

• Here's a link to a comic about Dinah the Aspie dinosaur. More an explanation of what life for an Aspie is like than a training manual for social situations, but quite amusing in places. 

dinahtheaspiedinosaur.wordpress.com

• Thanks for the reply, vometia. Yeah, computer games are a great medium as well, and I sometimes feel like my life's a computer game. Everyday just trying to get achievements, solve problems and level up. Social situations are always going to be tricky, there are just so many variables to consider. I'm nearly 34, I don't have ASD and I have a lot of problems with social interaction. However when I experience what I thought was a terrible situation, (I said the wrong thing and offended someone, got frustrated and became aggressive, felt threatened so just walked away without explanation etc) I try to remember how I used to react in similar situations and I always find that I've improved. A lot of the time it is just trial and error, and those errors can be painful and embarrassing sometimes but I know that I am improving. I'm not suggesting that comics are a secret cure to all these awkward social moments, but if someone likes comics and experiences difficulties in these areas I think there is potential to use their techniques to help people. Ideally, I'd like to combine elements of comics and computer games as I think that would be incredibly effective as a learning tool, an interactive comic, but that's something to work on in the future. Just as you mentioned "interactive training", true learning comes through practice. It's great to know things, but it's even better to understand how to use that knowledge to help yourself and others.

• Interesting take on things.  I guess I've had the same sort of "interaction training" with computer games in terms of seeing how persuasive I can be, the outcome of various different responses with characters of differing personalities and so on, although I still tend to find it quite difficult to predict which way things will go...

• Hi, sorry for the delayed response, I work all day Thurs and Friday. Thanks for your replies, some really good discussion happening and some very funny answers as well. It's brilliant that Aspergerix made the comparison of Batman to `training manuals' as that is exactly what I was trying to convey. Comics offer examples of social interaction in all their guises, albeit usually in an overly dramatic way, however they also have the potential to offer more information than you would get in reality. For instance, as well as seeing the facial expressions, gestures, body language of a character combined with their speech the reader may also be supplied with thought balloons giving them an insight into the characters thoughts. This allows the reader to better understand why a character does something, this understanding of intent is a big part of social communication. I'm really glad that Aspergerix included Batman as an example because his character is a big inspiration on the character I'm developing for my comic. As PixieFox justifiably questioned, `unless the story is about an Aspie dealing with social communication problems, how is it helpful?', that is why I have ammended this discussions introductory statement and will elaborate on the scope of my project. I want to create a comic, whose hero is an individual with ASD who deals with complicated social situations that some individuals may find difficult or confusing. Our hero will approach these situations like a detective, analysing the clues presented to him and piece them together like a puzzle. Comics are a fantastic medium to do this in, because you can express the thoughts of the hero as he solves the mystery. As Aspergerix commented about Batman comics, `a set of training manuals for superhero apprentices teaching us wannabe superheroes visually, step by step, by example, how to combat evil villains.' My comic will show the reader step by step, the clues to look out for, and the best way to interact within a given situation and also explain the reasoning behind that interaction. Of course, reality is unpredictable and the possibilities for problematic social situations are infinite, nonetheless if the logic and reasoning behind certain behaviours and interactions is explained then by practicing this logic and reasoning the individuals could train themselves to be more comfortable when they arise. At least that's the theory. I'm sorry for the long answer. Please let me know what you think.

• Hi Aspergerix, yeah I've still been trying to work this out. 

Marlowe Cavendish said:

"if there are signs of improved cognitive activity by combining image and language (and there are) then surely this would be an excellent way to assist learning with individuals who have difficulties with language and communication""

I'm no expert in these things, but does an improvement in cognitive activity really help AS language and communication problems? I can see how it could help people with reading comprehension, but that's not a problem I thought AS people had unless they also have learning difficulties? However that's not relevant to the problems of face to face communication and verbal language, surely?

I think your Batman analogy is saying what I'm thinking - the characters in comics interact, but unless the story is about an Aspie dealing with social communication problems, how is it helpful? 

I don't want to discourage anyone who does enjoy comics from posting on here though - in fact it would be interesting to find out if they think it has helped them in any other way than reading comprehension. 

I'm still a bit confused...

• Hi Pixiefox

I just could not resist, sorry. I have been wracking my brains over what the link between comics and learning may be, and all this dual coding technology , which MarloweCavendish is referring to,  and how it all could relate to me and us on the autistic spectrum. Continuing in a comical vein, I realized, the Batman comics must be a set of training manuals for superhero apprentices teaching us wannabe superheroes visually, step by step, by example, how to combat evil villains. I now get the scientific dual coding bit, pictures and speech bubbles for text; absolute genius, I think this could be a revolution in FastTrack accelerated learning to meet the demand for superheroes. Perhaps one could expand the concept to training neurosurgeons using comics ?

• Hi Pixiefox

Thanks, I'm glad you had a good laugh, there seems to be a myth in some quarters that us Aspies don't have a sense of humour.

• Aspergerix, I found reading your comments really enjoyable. Much more enjoyable  than reading a comic! Actually you really are a comic,  ha ha ha! 

Sorry Marlowe Cavendish, I know you're trying to do something which you see as serious, but a lot of what we discuss on here is sad, sometimes downright depressing. It's good to not take life so seriously sometimes.

Good luck with your comic dissertation and I'll be interested to see what feedback you get.

• I find comics helpful in a number of ways. I find comics helpful as a placemat for when I have breakfast. Comics are also helpful to make a brilliant lining for the bottom of a birdcage. And of course comics are very helpful rolled up as a fly swatter. I enjoy the fresh smell of a new comic, and I enjoy the smoothness of the paper to rub up against my face.

• Can you please define a 'Comic'. What is a comic ? What do you mean by a comic ? What type of comics ? Give us some specific examples. Then please define the word 'enjoy'. What do you mean by enjoy. Enjoy in what way ? How do you differentiate between an autistic person enjoying a comic as opposed to a no-autistic person enjoying a comic ? Then please explain in what way you think comics may be helpful for autistic people. In other words what do you mean by the word 'helpful' ? Helpful in what context ? So if an autistic person reads a Marvel comic for entertainment how will this be helpful for this person, as opposed to a normal person reading the same comic ? 

• Hi Pixiefox,

I never concluded that comics help the learning of some people with ASD, I am currently researching whether or not they could. This is why I am asking the forum for their opinions. I am not building my discussion upon one instance of dual coding theory, I have investigated several. Comics were not used in the example I cited, if they had been there would probably be very little point in me researching this topic for my dissertation. (Also in the example I cited, all participants were screened for learning difficulties) The reason I am researching autistic spectrum disorder and comics is because I am studying Comics at Masters level. Comics are a visual language, if used skillfully they can convey a great deal of information in a very short space of time and they can do it in almost limitless ways. I feel that due to their incredible versatility they could offer an individual who experiences difficulties with language the perfect resource to absorb information in a new way. Of course as you have pointed out, everyone has their own tastes and their own preferred methods of learning. That is why I asked to hear from individuals who read comics and enjoy comics. Thank you for the feedback though.

• Hi Marlowe Cavendish 

Your reply was interesting. I understand a bit more now why you are trying to link comics with ASD. 

However, I'm still struggling to understand how one trial of children with ASD which showed an improvement in learning when images as well as text were employed leads to the conclusion that comics help the learning of some people with ASD.

Firstly, were comics actually used in this study? There are other ways to use images to improve learning and memory apart from reading comics. For example: a colleague I once worked with knew a Spanish language teacher who would use imagery to help students learn vocabulary. For example, the Spanish word for donkey is Burro. This sounds like the English word burrow, so he got them to envisage a donkey digging a burrow in a field. That sort of image will help me with learning, as will diagrams. However I've never really taken to comics, because when I read my mind creates my own "movie" of the story in my mind. I don't like someone creating this "movie" for me with pictures which show what they think the characters and scenes look like. 

Another issue I have with that study is that I'd like to know if the children with ASD had any learning difficulties, such as dyslexia, ADHD, etc. If these weren't screened out, you cannot make a judgement about ASD, because it could be showing that dual coding helps the learning of children with a learning disability. ASD in itself is not a learning disability. 

We all have preferred learning styles. My friend has strong AS traits (AQ score 29) but is a kinaesthetic learner. I find verbal information very difficult to process and prefer text. We're all individuals, whether AS or NT (neuro-typical) 

Finally, you stated that comics helped your learning comprehension and your friend learned to read through comics. But you didn't say if either of you are on the Autistic spectrum. It's nice that this format helped you and that it's something you enjoy,  but from a scientific point of view it doesn't help your hypothesis if you're not AS.