comics

Hi everyone, I'm passionate about comics and would be interested to hear from anyone that shares this passion. I'd like to know what comics you enjoy reading and why? There are so many different types of comics out there, all utilising different techniques and different artistic styles. What are your favourites? I'm trying to develop a comic for individuals with ASD. A comic that would be entertaining, informative and something that individuals with ASD can relate to. I do not have ASD myself so I am trying to increase my awareness of the condition. I'd really like to hear everyone's opinions, good or bad, after all communication leads to understanding.

Parents
  • Hi Pixiefox,

I never concluded that comics help the learning of some people with ASD, I am currently researching whether or not they could. This is why I am asking the forum for their opinions. I am not building my discussion upon one instance of dual coding theory, I have investigated several. Comics were not used in the example I cited, if they had been there would probably be very little point in me researching this topic for my dissertation. (Also in the example I cited, all participants were screened for learning difficulties) The reason I am researching autistic spectrum disorder and comics is because I am studying Comics at Masters level. Comics are a visual language, if used skillfully they can convey a great deal of information in a very short space of time and they can do it in almost limitless ways. I feel that due to their incredible versatility they could offer an individual who experiences difficulties with language the perfect resource to absorb information in a new way. Of course as you have pointed out, everyone has their own tastes and their own preferred methods of learning. That is why I asked to hear from individuals who read comics and enjoy comics. Thank you for the feedback though.

• Hi Pixiefox,

I never concluded that comics help the learning of some people with ASD, I am currently researching whether or not they could. This is why I am asking the forum for their opinions. I am not building my discussion upon one instance of dual coding theory, I have investigated several. Comics were not used in the example I cited, if they had been there would probably be very little point in me researching this topic for my dissertation. (Also in the example I cited, all participants were screened for learning difficulties) The reason I am researching autistic spectrum disorder and comics is because I am studying Comics at Masters level. Comics are a visual language, if used skillfully they can convey a great deal of information in a very short space of time and they can do it in almost limitless ways. I feel that due to their incredible versatility they could offer an individual who experiences difficulties with language the perfect resource to absorb information in a new way. Of course as you have pointed out, everyone has their own tastes and their own preferred methods of learning. That is why I asked to hear from individuals who read comics and enjoy comics. Thank you for the feedback though.

Children
No Data