comics

Hi everyone, I'm passionate about comics and would be interested to hear from anyone that shares this passion. I'd like to know what comics you enjoy reading and why? There are so many different types of comics out there, all utilising different techniques and different artistic styles. What are your favourites? I'm trying to develop a comic for individuals with ASD. A comic that would be entertaining, informative and something that individuals with ASD can relate to. I do not have ASD myself so I am trying to increase my awareness of the condition. I'd really like to hear everyone's opinions, good or bad, after all communication leads to understanding.

Parents
  • Hi, sorry for the delayed response, I work all day Thurs and Friday. Thanks for your replies, some really good discussion happening and some very funny answers as well. It's brilliant that Aspergerix made the comparison of Batman to `training manuals' as that is exactly what I was trying to convey. Comics offer examples of social interaction in all their guises, albeit usually in an overly dramatic way, however they also have the potential to offer more information than you would get in reality. For instance, as well as seeing the facial expressions, gestures, body language of a character combined with their speech the reader may also be supplied with thought balloons giving them an insight into the characters thoughts. This allows the reader to better understand why a character does something, this understanding of intent is a big part of social communication. I'm really glad that Aspergerix included Batman as an example because his character is a big inspiration on the character I'm developing for my comic. As PixieFox justifiably questioned, `unless the story is about an Aspie dealing with social communication problems, how is it helpful?', that is why I have ammended this discussions introductory statement and will elaborate on the scope of my project. I want to create a comic, whose hero is an individual with ASD who deals with complicated social situations that some individuals may find difficult or confusing. Our hero will approach these situations like a detective, analysing the clues presented to him and piece them together like a puzzle. Comics are a fantastic medium to do this in, because you can express the thoughts of the hero as he solves the mystery. As Aspergerix commented about Batman comics, `a set of training manuals for superhero apprentices teaching us wannabe superheroes visually, step by step, by example, how to combat evil villains.' My comic will show the reader step by step, the clues to look out for, and the best way to interact within a given situation and also explain the reasoning behind that interaction. Of course, reality is unpredictable and the possibilities for problematic social situations are infinite, nonetheless if the logic and reasoning behind certain behaviours and interactions is explained then by practicing this logic and reasoning the individuals could train themselves to be more comfortable when they arise. At least that's the theory. I'm sorry for the long answer. Please let me know what you think.

• Hi, sorry for the delayed response, I work all day Thurs and Friday. Thanks for your replies, some really good discussion happening and some very funny answers as well. It's brilliant that Aspergerix made the comparison of Batman to `training manuals' as that is exactly what I was trying to convey. Comics offer examples of social interaction in all their guises, albeit usually in an overly dramatic way, however they also have the potential to offer more information than you would get in reality. For instance, as well as seeing the facial expressions, gestures, body language of a character combined with their speech the reader may also be supplied with thought balloons giving them an insight into the characters thoughts. This allows the reader to better understand why a character does something, this understanding of intent is a big part of social communication. I'm really glad that Aspergerix included Batman as an example because his character is a big inspiration on the character I'm developing for my comic. As PixieFox justifiably questioned, `unless the story is about an Aspie dealing with social communication problems, how is it helpful?', that is why I have ammended this discussions introductory statement and will elaborate on the scope of my project. I want to create a comic, whose hero is an individual with ASD who deals with complicated social situations that some individuals may find difficult or confusing. Our hero will approach these situations like a detective, analysing the clues presented to him and piece them together like a puzzle. Comics are a fantastic medium to do this in, because you can express the thoughts of the hero as he solves the mystery. As Aspergerix commented about Batman comics, `a set of training manuals for superhero apprentices teaching us wannabe superheroes visually, step by step, by example, how to combat evil villains.' My comic will show the reader step by step, the clues to look out for, and the best way to interact within a given situation and also explain the reasoning behind that interaction. Of course, reality is unpredictable and the possibilities for problematic social situations are infinite, nonetheless if the logic and reasoning behind certain behaviours and interactions is explained then by practicing this logic and reasoning the individuals could train themselves to be more comfortable when they arise. At least that's the theory. I'm sorry for the long answer. Please let me know what you think.

Children
No Data