Do you hate having ASD and wish you were neurotypical ?

Since realising that I am ‘on the spectrum, (having been assessed and diagnosed) which of course explains and gives reason for my behaviour and way of thinking, nonetheless, I’ve come to bitterly regret being this way - to the extent of feeling cursed. Does anybody else feel this way and would you - as I do - take a safe cure for it, if there was one? I’d hate to think I was alone in this regard.

• Autistic, likely adhd, cptsd, alexithymia ..... i really wish i could lose any one of those....

• Just to add to that, something that became apparent to me on discovering this forum was that the neurodivergent community are so quick to listen, to try and help one another and genuinely offer advice. I have never ever with any of my Nt friends had this before, it just ends up that they relate your problems to themselves and then off they go with what they want to talk about. 

I love this place and everyone here

accept the bots 

• I agree with Martin

Although I do struggle sometimes and it can get all too much I’m happy to be different. The reason is a lot of the Nt people I know are quite self focused and more often than not put themselves before others. I do understand sometimes this has to be the way but I go out of my way to help others even if that is just letting them talk and me listening. I wouldn’t change that for anything and the one thing I actually like about myself  are my values. 

Good luck with your journey 

• No, I don't hate it. There is nothing wrong with us. I do get frustrated at times as things can be harder being autistic, but it is better to direct that frustration and anger outwards. If people were a bit more accepting, life would be much better! There is nothing wrong with us, the world is just not designed for us. Not being autistic would mean that I wasn't me anymore. I want to be happy but I do believe that is possible as a autistic person too. I do hope that one day society will be more accepting and accessible. 

• No, not really. I'd much rather know who I am than feel I have to pretend to be someone else just to 'fit in' - which I was constantly told I must do growing up.

Having experienced prejudice, bullying, a difficult childhood and extremely trying times as an adult, I'm just happy to be here.

Frankly, I don't give a rat's ass if I don't fit in. 

Societal problems, not mine.

• Reminder of Rule 4:

Content must not be graphic, obscene, defamatory or libellous. It must not encourage, promote or glorify any forms of self-harm of self- neglect. Please do not use the forum to identify other individuals, whether in passing or when making complaints. Please use alternative websites or resources if you wish to make a complaint about an individual or third party service.    

• I am in the middle of accepting this about myself (I'm not diagnosed but my daughter is, which led me down this path of learning about myself). The very first thoughts I had when I realised were related to what you said, that I had been struggling my whole life all for nothing, I was never going to be "normal" no matter how hard I tried. As time has gone on I've been able to think about it more, watch and learn about my daughter with how to support her, and read a lot of encouraging things in this community. This is making me believe (slowly) that since this was who I always was, that this is OK and I shouldn't be trying so hard to fit into a mold that doesn't fit me.

That being said, I still have challenges in believing that completely - I even posted a discussion when I was having a bad day about it which was exactly the same sentiment as what you're saying https://community.autism.org.uk/f/mental-health-and-wellbeing/36288/wishing-i-could-just-be-normal

But... I'm trying to be more accepting of myself too, like when I posted to this more positive thinking thread https://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/36251/everyone-s-good-at-something-what-are-you-good-at 

• shut up with the complaints, either take me or leave me

LOL, have you told that to your employer? 

• Why woul I want to be "normal", when talking to my NT friends I realise how limited they are, they need medication to make them more like us. I would absolutely not take a cure, I don't believe one is possible without totally rewiring every neurological pathway in a person brain.

After diagnosis I went and told pretty much everyone who'd called me weird and had othered and stigmatised me, that there was a reason for me being the way I am and to shut up with the complaints, either take me or leave me. Some left, some stayed, I stopped trying to fit in, to mask and self censor everyword I said, it's not easy, but I'd rather be the real authentic me with no friends or anything than have to go around cringing that I might do or say something to offend someone.

You sound as though being autistic is some kind of choice, it isn't it's how you're made, its like having blue eyes or curly hair. I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling so much.

• I am talking about Republican politics, not "unaliving"

• do a Budd Dwyer

Do you have no sense of responsibility towards others at all?

Encouraging suicide stinks.

• It's easy for you to say that: you work in academia and you are free to "be yourself" as much as you want. Try that in a private job, you won't last a day.

• I hate being an aspie, and I wish there was a cure available. I've seen so many people having more success that me in life just because they were able to "read the room" or to make jokes and funny faces. I tried talking with therapists, they always go with the "you need to learn to embrace autism, unmask and be yourself". I always answer with: "if I did that I would end up unemployed and unemployable". You can imagine their answer.

There is no hope, at least for the short term. [removed by moderator]

• I had behaved badly and I guess it just went out of the window. It's frustrating when someone says that and it feels like no one is there to defend you, so you assume that the entire world feels the same way.

Even though I know I don't care about that person's opinion, it feels like people are more likely to listen to them than me.

• Thank you for asking this question. 

I discovered that I am Autistic only a few months ago. I've been struggling of late to accept my behaviours (ones I didn't know I had, through suppressing and masking). And now being aware how my masking is really damaging my already fragile mental health. The other thing is the companionship or lack of it, and realising that's probably not going to happen after being single for more than twenty years.

When I saw your question I thought I'd say yes. But actually it's no which has really surprised me. I'm me and wouldn't have it any other way.

• Apart from that one time a total stranger accused me of lying about being autistic.

I'm sorry you had that. Just ignore people like that, their problems and ignorance aren't your problem. I've had people tell me I don't look autistic which is really annoying but I'm used to it now.

• Not really no. I like being autistic, it makes me different but I feel like that's a good thing. There's a few challenges with being autistic but I see a lot of positives too. My autism makes me deeply passionate about the things I'm interested in, I'm a natural mimic, very observant, fast learner, very good memory and I seem to get on well with everyone I meet.
    I'm also a very childlike girl despite I'm nearly 27 I still love playing with my toys and watching kids shows. I also don't look my age which I've read before is an autistic thing. I love being autistic and I wouldn't change if I could.

• Since I came to accept it 6 years ago (12 years after my diagnosis), I generally haven't.

Apart from that one time a total stranger accused me of lying about being autistic.