Do you hate having ASD and wish you were neurotypical ?

Since realising that I am ‘on the spectrum, (having been assessed and diagnosed) which of course explains and gives reason for my behaviour and way of thinking, nonetheless, I’ve come to bitterly regret being this way - to the extent of feeling cursed. Does anybody else feel this way and would you - as I do - take a safe cure for it, if there was one? I’d hate to think I was alone in this regard.

Parents
  • Since I came to accept it 6 years ago (12 years after my diagnosis), I generally haven't.

Apart from that one time a total stranger accused me of lying about being autistic.

• Since I came to accept it 6 years ago (12 years after my diagnosis), I generally haven't.

Apart from that one time a total stranger accused me of lying about being autistic.

Children
  • What they meant was 'I've seen Rainman, and being exposed to a 90 minute theatrical represetation of a more extreme form autism (about whcih I would otherwise know literally nothing) makes me qualified enought to contradict you, what with me being an arrogant, ignorant, ***.'

I once had a guy threaten to beat me up (we very nearly came to blows and would have were it not for others intervening) because I said I had PTSD (I have, btw), even though everything he knew about PTSD could be summed up in 6 words: it's that thing that soldiers get.

• Apart from that one time a total stranger accused me of lying about being autistic.

I'm sorry you had that. Just ignore people like that, their problems and ignorance aren't your problem. I've had people tell me I don't look autistic which is really annoying but I'm used to it now.