Do you hate having ASD and wish you were neurotypical ?

Since realising that I am ‘on the spectrum, (having been assessed and diagnosed) which of course explains and gives reason for my behaviour and way of thinking, nonetheless, I’ve come to bitterly regret being this way - to the extent of feeling cursed. Does anybody else feel this way and would you - as I do - take a safe cure for it, if there was one? I’d hate to think I was alone in this regard.

Parents
  • Since I came to accept it 6 years ago (12 years after my diagnosis), I generally haven't.

Apart from that one time a total stranger accused me of lying about being autistic.

• Apart from that one time a total stranger accused me of lying about being autistic.

I'm sorry you had that. Just ignore people like that, their problems and ignorance aren't your problem. I've had people tell me I don't look autistic which is really annoying but I'm used to it now.

• Apart from that one time a total stranger accused me of lying about being autistic.

I'm sorry you had that. Just ignore people like that, their problems and ignorance aren't your problem. I've had people tell me I don't look autistic which is really annoying but I'm used to it now.

Children
  • I had behaved badly and I guess it just went out of the window. It's frustrating when someone says that and it feels like no one is there to defend you, so you assume that the entire world feels the same way.

Even though I know I don't care about that person's opinion, it feels like people are more likely to listen to them than me.