Do you hate having ASD and wish you were neurotypical ?

Since realising that I am ‘on the spectrum, (having been assessed and diagnosed) which of course explains and gives reason for my behaviour and way of thinking, nonetheless, I’ve come to bitterly regret being this way - to the extent of feeling cursed. Does anybody else feel this way and would you - as I do - take a safe cure for it, if there was one? I’d hate to think I was alone in this regard.

Parents
  • You’re not alone. I used to think the same way. I used to feel cursed too. And think many other negative thoughts about myself. I would take meds for my autism for sure. I don’t think it’s a bad thing taking meds. If you had ADHD you would take meds isn’t it the same thing with autism? There already are meds to treat autism anyway. Aripiprazole and Risperidone have FDA approval to treat autism. I don’t know if they’re approved in UK for autism but I know they are available in the UK for psychosis, bipolar and maybe major depression also. Some other medications are in the pipeline for being approved for autism like for example: Cariprazine, Brexpiprazole and Tasimelteon. Thought you might find this interesting seen as you were talking about cures. These will not be cures though just an aid. I don’t think there will be cure or needs to be one.

• You’re not alone. I used to think the same way. I used to feel cursed too. And think many other negative thoughts about myself. I would take meds for my autism for sure. I don’t think it’s a bad thing taking meds. If you had ADHD you would take meds isn’t it the same thing with autism? There already are meds to treat autism anyway. Aripiprazole and Risperidone have FDA approval to treat autism. I don’t know if they’re approved in UK for autism but I know they are available in the UK for psychosis, bipolar and maybe major depression also. Some other medications are in the pipeline for being approved for autism like for example: Cariprazine, Brexpiprazole and Tasimelteon. Thought you might find this interesting seen as you were talking about cures. These will not be cures though just an aid. I don’t think there will be cure or needs to be one.

Children