Do you hate having ASD and wish you were neurotypical ?

Since realising that I am ‘on the spectrum, (having been assessed and diagnosed) which of course explains and gives reason for my behaviour and way of thinking, nonetheless, I’ve come to bitterly regret being this way - to the extent of feeling cursed. Does anybody else feel this way and would you - as I do - take a safe cure for it, if there was one? I’d hate to think I was alone in this regard.

Parents
  • Why woul I want to be "normal", when talking to my NT friends I realise how limited they are, they need medication to make them more like us. I would absolutely not take a cure, I don't believe one is possible without totally rewiring every neurological pathway in a person brain.

After diagnosis I went and told pretty much everyone who'd called me weird and had othered and stigmatised me, that there was a reason for me being the way I am and to shut up with the complaints, either take me or leave me. Some left, some stayed, I stopped trying to fit in, to mask and self censor everyword I said, it's not easy, but I'd rather be the real authentic me with no friends or anything than have to go around cringing that I might do or say something to offend someone.

You sound as though being autistic is some kind of choice, it isn't it's how you're made, its like having blue eyes or curly hair. I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling so much.

• Why woul I want to be "normal", when talking to my NT friends I realise how limited they are, they need medication to make them more like us. I would absolutely not take a cure, I don't believe one is possible without totally rewiring every neurological pathway in a person brain.

After diagnosis I went and told pretty much everyone who'd called me weird and had othered and stigmatised me, that there was a reason for me being the way I am and to shut up with the complaints, either take me or leave me. Some left, some stayed, I stopped trying to fit in, to mask and self censor everyword I said, it's not easy, but I'd rather be the real authentic me with no friends or anything than have to go around cringing that I might do or say something to offend someone.

You sound as though being autistic is some kind of choice, it isn't it's how you're made, its like having blue eyes or curly hair. I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling so much.

Children