Do you hate having ASD and wish you were neurotypical ?

Since realising that I am ‘on the spectrum, (having been assessed and diagnosed) which of course explains and gives reason for my behaviour and way of thinking, nonetheless, I’ve come to bitterly regret being this way - to the extent of feeling cursed. Does anybody else feel this way and would you - as I do - take a safe cure for it, if there was one? I’d hate to think I was alone in this regard.

Parents
  • I hate being an aspie, and I wish there was a cure available. I've seen so many people having more success that me in life just because they were able to "read the room" or to make jokes and funny faces. I tried talking with therapists, they always go with the "you need to learn to embrace autism, unmask and be yourself". I always answer with: "if I did that I would end up unemployed and unemployable". You can imagine their answer.

There is no hope, at least for the short term. [removed by moderator]

• I hate being an aspie, and I wish there was a cure available. I've seen so many people having more success that me in life just because they were able to "read the room" or to make jokes and funny faces. I tried talking with therapists, they always go with the "you need to learn to embrace autism, unmask and be yourself". I always answer with: "if I did that I would end up unemployed and unemployable". You can imagine their answer.

There is no hope, at least for the short term. [removed by moderator]

Children