Do you hate having ASD and wish you were neurotypical ?

Since realising that I am ‘on the spectrum, (having been assessed and diagnosed) which of course explains and gives reason for my behaviour and way of thinking, nonetheless, I’ve come to bitterly regret being this way - to the extent of feeling cursed. Does anybody else feel this way and would you - as I do - take a safe cure for it, if there was one? I’d hate to think I was alone in this regard.

Parents
  • Thank you for asking this question. 

I discovered that I am Autistic only a few months ago. I've been struggling of late to accept my behaviours (ones I didn't know I had, through suppressing and masking). And now being aware how my masking is really damaging my already fragile mental health. The other thing is the companionship or lack of it, and realising that's probably not going to happen after being single for more than twenty years.

When I saw your question I thought I'd say yes. But actually it's no which has really surprised me. I'm me and wouldn't have it any other way.

• Thank you for asking this question. 

I discovered that I am Autistic only a few months ago. I've been struggling of late to accept my behaviours (ones I didn't know I had, through suppressing and masking). And now being aware how my masking is really damaging my already fragile mental health. The other thing is the companionship or lack of it, and realising that's probably not going to happen after being single for more than twenty years.

When I saw your question I thought I'd say yes. But actually it's no which has really surprised me. I'm me and wouldn't have it any other way.

Children
No Data