Technology how has it help you?

I have an iPhone 14 pro max, Apple Watch SE, and an iPad. All three are useful tools for instance setting reminders to take my meds, doctor appointments, zoom meetings, etc.  how has technology help you?

• However, as we have learned during Covid with the Great Reset, Agenda 2030, Sustainable Development Goals, etc, all modern technologies will be used to control the masses and confine us to 15 mins “smart cities” as in “you will own nothing and you will be happy about it” - even if we don’t have children ourselves personally, this should scare all of us (I’m 53 and I have extended family who are parents of very young children themselves) those children, especially the actual babies of today will have far less freedoms than we had at that age, if they reach their teens, let alone adulthood - these advances in technology are a means of control because our parents gave their (and our) power away, as our grandparents generation correctly and accurately pointed out before their passing in the 1980’s - the actions of the globalist elites to date do not inspire trust that they will “do the right thing” - while I get the benefits of these advances in technology, we have seen time and again how these tools have been misused for evil purposes and we also have to question why the elites allowed us access to these tools in the first place, unless their real intentions was to enslave us, as they have gradually done over the course of 40 years or more and this was clearly demonstrated to us during Covid lockdowns - when we read truthful accounts of history via our own research, we begin to discover the horrible truth of what this will mean for us in the future, given the predictive programming films like “The Prisoner” in the 1960’s - knowing the truth of the evil in this world is a burden like no other, call it “gut instinct” or whatever but forewarned is forearmed - my advice for what it’s worth is to proceed with extreme caution as we do not know what these people are capable of - knowing what I know now, it breaks my heart to see children, knowing what they will have to endure after we are all gone once they reach adult life 

• As of Jan 2024, I still have an iPhone 12 Pro because of the Irish governments vaccine passports during Covid and I had to get an iPad Pro for an online course during Covid - before Covid, I had a “brick” phone, but even then, before my diagnosis, I considered getting rid of all my tech devices because of everyone else’s disapproval of my having a phone or being online at all, yet in the last 30 years, especially during Covid, we now live in a world where we have gradually become way too dependent on being online and having mobile phones, as everything has been almost entirely moved online, so we have effectively been forced to be online - the odd thing was that during Covid, because Rural Broadband, along with phone lines and mobile coverage was so bad and was not fully implemented in some parts of Rural Ireland, it became very difficult to contact some family members in Ireland from here in the U.K. - with being online, we also have to contend with issues of online safety, privacy, monitoring, spying, online fraud and censorship, especially during Covid and these issues are going to get worse with advances and “improvements” in technology - in my teens in the 1980’s, I embraced it despite my grandparents warnings, as they knew what it would lead to, but now that I’m 53, I’m totally against all of it, especially around children 

• Technology helps me in many ways. I'm able to interact socially online with others, like I am here now. I have digital appointments with my therapist and phone calls, meaning I don't have to go out and I have an awesome electric wheelchair that allows me to get from a-b.

Technology is an awesome thing and it's great because it aids so many people in a lot of different ways.

• My whole life has been defined by technology. I’ve been a lifelong science fiction fan and computers became a life long special interest when I was about 10 years old and have been my career for my whole adult life.

In terms of mitigating neurodivergent challenges, my phone and laptop have become extensions of my brain. I have thousands of notes on my phone and spreadsheets on my laptop so I don’t forget things and can plan everything out. I have an embarrassing number of reminders on my phone too, which my Apple Watch can now silently prompt me with numerous times per day.

We may not yet have much technology implanted in our bodies, but we are already cyborgs in a real and meaningful way.

• Just bumping this thread back up as a discussion in another thread has reminded me of it.

• I really need to get a 13 mini.. but I’d love to have an iwatch again, along with hyper-convenient tap to pay, so easy to be impulsive with a feature like that..

I used to have quite a bit of disposable income and I did so love purchasing stuff with an iwatch and writing and drawing and sitting at MY tables in coffee shops all over the place..

Drinking weird lattes with friends and go by train to weird places, I was glad to be free of the pennilessness of my childhood, hard to imagine that I turned into a shut-in..Sweat smile

People used to exploit me left right and centre, but that was okay with me as long as everyone was enjoying themselves, I guess the old battery ran-out..

• Yes yes and yes!! I know that it’s an indulgent thing to go all apple, but I’d have the lot if I could afford it, in fact that may end up being the case.. I just get drawn in by the marketing.. I’d love to be able to think in infographic..Sweat smile

• Shopping online - lifesaver because I'm too anxious to go in to shops half the time now.
    • Phones and Internet - allow me to keep in touch with family and talk here. Also reminders on my phone and Google maps so I can never get myself lost.
    • Music and headphones - music puts me at ease keeps me calm and with headphones I can listen to it almost anywhere.
  • Although I know that they are perhaps not as popular as they once were, I would be completely lost without my desktop PC for a whole of reasons.

Writing by hand is something that I can find rather tiring and painful to do. It's not something I tend to do as frequently now, but as a child, I would often send hand-written letters to various relatives, and then when I was in my teens, I would also write to pen-pals and school friends during the school holidays. It was a Godsend when I acquired a manual typewriter, but also a hassle when the ink ribbon needed replacing, or when I had made a series of typing errors.

During my early twenties, I managed to purchase a second-hand Word Processor, which was an improvement. A few years later, a neighbour purchased a new desktop PC and asked me if I would be interested in her old PC. Heck yes! The computer was basic (Windows 3.1 - see link below), but it suited my needs because similar to what Former Member has said, I could actually save the word-processed letters I had typed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SHNcW-G7iw

A few years later, someone else asked me if I would like their old computer (Windows 95, I think), which could connect to the internet. This was back when the only way of connecting to the internet from a residential property was by dial-up. The drawback was that unless one was willing and able to have a second telephone line installed, it meant using the same telephone line used by the home phone. If someone tried to phone when one was connected to the internet, they would be met with an 'engaged' tone. There was many a time when my dad would turn up at my house, alerting me that a member of the family had spent the past few hours trying to get hold of me. The internet opened up a whole new and exciting world for me, although it was very different compared to how it is now.

When broadband came along, it made things even better. Aside from the fact that it took significantly less time to upload to the internet, and download from the Internet onto my PC, I suddenly had the ability to look up information on the internet and relay that information to someone I was talking to on my home phone.

What else? As the only way I can watch my TV is via a set-top-box (my TV aerial became a casualty of strong winds many years ago), I like the fact that I can access the likes of Netflix and YouTube from the comfort of my sofa, and to dose off listening to something on BBC Sounds. None of these things would be possible if the technology didn't exist.

As my closest friends and the majority of my relatives live too far away for me to see them as much as I would like, knowing that I can keep in touch with them via e-mail and Messenger is a Godsend. This place wouldn't exist without technology, and what an absolute lifeline it has proven to be. Grinning

• Technology aids me in many ways. My phone helps me with reminders, I can use it to be social like right now on this site. My apple watch allows me to check my health like blood pressure and heartbeat. Shopping online as well, a gift from God! 

• Digital technology can help people in many aspects of their lives. Digital technology has revolutionized communication by allowing people to connect with each other easily and instantly. Through e-mail, messaging applications, social networking platforms and video conferencing, people can communicate, collaborate and share information regardless of geographic distance. The Internet and digital technology have made information easily accessible to people around the world. Online search engines, digital libraries, and educational platforms offer vast amounts of knowledge, allowing people to learn and obtain information in a variety of subjects. But many people take advantage of this for profit. And at deeplab.com/.../us-provider-of-network-infrastructure-commscope-was-attacked-by-the-vice-society-ransomware we can see such cases.

• Technology is a big part of my life. 

My computer allows me to do work - writing. Programming. Video making.

My phone and camera allows me to do videos, take photos, be sociable online like now, keep in touch with family who don't live close by.

My car - counting this as technology - allows me to have my own space and freedom. Allows me to get in to town. Can get me to the doctors if needed.

Video doorbell so I don't have to interact in person with people when they come to the door. Truly is a lifesaver this.

Cd and record player - music, the biggest and most important thing in my life. Without the technology of cd and records I would go mad.

• For this and for many other reasons, even though my own generation have embraced tech “advances” in the past, I am totally opposed to AI - I’ve also observed (over many decades) how we have become/rendered totally reliant on tech and in many respects, on balance, I consider this to be a bad thing, despite it being labelled as “progress” and similar - for a long time, I never really understood why our grandparents generation were totally against the TV in the 1960’s and against mobile phones and internet before thier passing in the 1980’s in my teens, but as time passed, we gradually saw why this was, as we started to experience real life for ourselves - I sometimes think that we could well do with “rolling back” some of the tech advances that we have had in recent years - things like transhumanism, artificial wombs, chips in people’s brains and many other tech advances like AI absolutely terrify me, as even though they are supposed to be used for good and are merely a tool, the potential risk and temptation by some to use these for bad (and by bad actors) is too great, as we have all seen when this tech falls into the wrong hands - during Covid, we have all had a masterclass as to the direction in how this could possibly go - I often wondered why the internet and mobile phones were freely given to people only on the basis of cost and without any sort of licence system, which is perhaps why our grandparents were totally opposed to us teens in the 1980’s learning anything about mobile phones, internet and computer science and they went to great lengths to try to stop computer science labs being set up in secondary schools, even though these computers were not connected to the old dialup internet at the time and they had the local police to confiscate mobile phones off us kids when we were growing up 

• I really like this thread so I'm going to bump it just in case there are any more replies forthcoming.

• I believe I am about the same age as you, so remember a lot of the things you said. Perhaps rather than ancient we could think of the wealth of life experience we have. Although my son has a very different outlook on life as he doesn't remember life without technology. 

I didn't know all that detail about wills, but do often think of the things we did in the past that would not be allowed now for safety reasons.

In my first office job I remember the nuisance of mistakes and the use of tipex where possible, otherwise the long process of typing all over again.

Libraries too were interesting, but if I had homework my parents had to take me there on an evening they were open. Then as I got older I remember having to get there when I wasn't at work to find things out. So different now if I wonder about something and can look it up instantly.

And phone boxes queuing up to use them. There was one place where I could see two from a distance so we would decide which had less or no queue and hope no one got there before us. Then when you got there they often stunk. The odd missing pane of glass had it's benefits. Now I mostly text people.

In many ways it feels a lot more safe to have mobile phones especially when our alone. However I don't understand going out and looking at the phone whilst walking. I like to look at the world around and would be concerned about dropping it.

• It's the role of Technology to serve Mankind, not the other way round.

• I got my first iPhone 12 Pro after my redundancy in Sept 2019 (I only found out later that Apple had brought out the iPhone 13 only 3 weeks after I’d got my iPhone 12 Pro online) when the Irish government brought in the requirements for NHS/HSE vaccine passports just after Covid, even though I’ve always held (and regularly renewed) an Irish passport in the 20 years that I’ve lived in the U.K. and have always travelled on SailRail from Manchester between Holyhead - Dublin (slightly easier way to get home at the time compared to flying into Dublin) and onto my home County in Rural Ireland in that time - during Covid, having an iPad Pro has been essential in keeping in touch via Zoom and similar apps with family in Ireland, even though some parts of Rural Ireland have still not yet benefitted fully from the Irish governments Rural Broadband programme - as long as I’ve lived in the U.K., I still consider Ireland as my real home, where I have extensive connections with extended family in my home County in Rural Ireland

• helped me a bit, google helps me find businesses and services, it also helps me discover local nature areas i can explore.
    internet finds me social interaction and general knowledge to fill my head with. also found me crypto which made me a bit of cash that motivated me to plan better and get a job and have deposit for property.
    my phone grants me cheap unlimited internet to tether to.
    and games consoles were my go to escapism and probably kept me going through life in my early days, without consoles to lose myself in fantasy worlds and be over stimulated on entertainment id probably have just decided life wasnt worth sticking around for.

when you examine it, technology is a key part of everyones lives. even the people that claim they hate it you can probably examine their lives and point out many areas of tech that gave them their meaning and enjoyment and purpose in life and made their life possible.

• For all of technology’s flaws, I consider it a blessing to be alive now for this very reason. 

Absolutely!

• Email and online services so I don’t have to ring and speak to people. 
    Shopping online and having it brought to my home.
    A way of connecting with others without actually having to leave the comfort of my home. 
    For all of technology’s flaws, I consider it a blessing to be alive now for this very reason.