Technology how has it help you?

I have an iPhone 14 pro max, Apple Watch SE, and an iPad. All three are useful tools for instance setting reminders to take my meds, doctor appointments, zoom meetings, etc.  how has technology help you?

Parents
  • Although I know that they are perhaps not as popular as they once were, I would be completely lost without my desktop PC for a whole of reasons.

Writing by hand is something that I can find rather tiring and painful to do. It's not something I tend to do as frequently now, but as a child, I would often send hand-written letters to various relatives, and then when I was in my teens, I would also write to pen-pals and school friends during the school holidays. It was a Godsend when I acquired a manual typewriter, but also a hassle when the ink ribbon needed replacing, or when I had made a series of typing errors.

During my early twenties, I managed to purchase a second-hand Word Processor, which was an improvement. A few years later, a neighbour purchased a new desktop PC and asked me if I would be interested in her old PC. Heck yes! The computer was basic (Windows 3.1 - see link below), but it suited my needs because similar to what Former Member has said, I could actually save the word-processed letters I had typed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SHNcW-G7iw

A few years later, someone else asked me if I would like their old computer (Windows 95, I think), which could connect to the internet. This was back when the only way of connecting to the internet from a residential property was by dial-up. The drawback was that unless one was willing and able to have a second telephone line installed, it meant using the same telephone line used by the home phone. If someone tried to phone when one was connected to the internet, they would be met with an 'engaged' tone. There was many a time when my dad would turn up at my house, alerting me that a member of the family had spent the past few hours trying to get hold of me. The internet opened up a whole new and exciting world for me, although it was very different compared to how it is now.

When broadband came along, it made things even better. Aside from the fact that it took significantly less time to upload to the internet, and download from the Internet onto my PC, I suddenly had the ability to look up information on the internet and relay that information to someone I was talking to on my home phone.

What else? As the only way I can watch my TV is via a set-top-box (my TV aerial became a casualty of strong winds many years ago), I like the fact that I can access the likes of Netflix and YouTube from the comfort of my sofa, and to dose off listening to something on BBC Sounds. None of these things would be possible if the technology didn't exist.

As my closest friends and the majority of my relatives live too far away for me to see them as much as I would like, knowing that I can keep in touch with them via e-mail and Messenger is a Godsend. This place wouldn't exist without technology, and what an absolute lifeline it has proven to be. Grinning

• Although I know that they are perhaps not as popular as they once were, I would be completely lost without my desktop PC for a whole of reasons.

Writing by hand is something that I can find rather tiring and painful to do. It's not something I tend to do as frequently now, but as a child, I would often send hand-written letters to various relatives, and then when I was in my teens, I would also write to pen-pals and school friends during the school holidays. It was a Godsend when I acquired a manual typewriter, but also a hassle when the ink ribbon needed replacing, or when I had made a series of typing errors.

During my early twenties, I managed to purchase a second-hand Word Processor, which was an improvement. A few years later, a neighbour purchased a new desktop PC and asked me if I would be interested in her old PC. Heck yes! The computer was basic (Windows 3.1 - see link below), but it suited my needs because similar to what Former Member has said, I could actually save the word-processed letters I had typed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SHNcW-G7iw

A few years later, someone else asked me if I would like their old computer (Windows 95, I think), which could connect to the internet. This was back when the only way of connecting to the internet from a residential property was by dial-up. The drawback was that unless one was willing and able to have a second telephone line installed, it meant using the same telephone line used by the home phone. If someone tried to phone when one was connected to the internet, they would be met with an 'engaged' tone. There was many a time when my dad would turn up at my house, alerting me that a member of the family had spent the past few hours trying to get hold of me. The internet opened up a whole new and exciting world for me, although it was very different compared to how it is now.

When broadband came along, it made things even better. Aside from the fact that it took significantly less time to upload to the internet, and download from the Internet onto my PC, I suddenly had the ability to look up information on the internet and relay that information to someone I was talking to on my home phone.

What else? As the only way I can watch my TV is via a set-top-box (my TV aerial became a casualty of strong winds many years ago), I like the fact that I can access the likes of Netflix and YouTube from the comfort of my sofa, and to dose off listening to something on BBC Sounds. None of these things would be possible if the technology didn't exist.

As my closest friends and the majority of my relatives live too far away for me to see them as much as I would like, knowing that I can keep in touch with them via e-mail and Messenger is a Godsend. This place wouldn't exist without technology, and what an absolute lifeline it has proven to be. Grinning

Children
No Data