Just been diognosed heard all negitive not positive

Hi I am pop and I had my.offical dionosis come though yesterday but it was all the negatives and it made me really down. I was wondering is anyone new the benefits to being autistic or is it just all bad?

• I agree,

I know how to be a bully, after all I had so many teachers, but I choose not to

except that forgetting about feelings of other, I caught myself on it few times in my life

• People who bully others usually feel insecure or vulnerable themselves.

• not entirely sure on that. those that are bullied often can become the bully themselves, and often can be less caring of others situation if they have suffered worse and view what others are going through as less than what they themselves went through. also those that are bullied and made to feel alone can view everyone in general as the type that would have bullied them and thus not care for those people being bullied due to feeling that theyd have probably been one that would have bullied them. which in turn a person bullied can remain shut off and not have empathy for others.

• Yes the autistic community is very accepting and a safe space because many autistic people have previously been ostracised or bullied for their neurotype, they need to feel a stronger sense of belonging.

Personally I think the autistic community is great as I can empathise and relate to other  people and I don’t have to explain anything to anyone, I can just be.

• only tutorials with subtitles, mainly because you know most of it already, 

but books i enjoy reading so i even if i could i wouldn't

• That's interesting to hear - is this something you've learnt to do? I'm autistic with ADHD and reading at double speed is one thing I can't do. I certainly can't read and comprehend at double speed.

• It is largely positive but it helps if the people around you are supportive and accept the differences in thinking and behaving. Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't but we don't know that until there's a reaction to something you say, do, behave, your expressions, your gestures etc. It can be a bit of a minefield as it's not fully accepted everywhere and especially so with people who tend to be in charge or have authority eg employers, police, healthcare professionals etc. It can be just good fortune if you're surrounded by decent folk but that's not guaranteed and we need to be mindful of that.

• Pop, I've been spending some time talking to autistic people on forums and in person recently, and one thing that strikes me is that almost all the people I've come across are very accepting. By my (admittedly rough accounting), it seems that a much smaller percentage of the autistic population is prejudiced against people because of their ethnicity or sexuality, for example, compared to non-autistics. Many autistic people also seem rational, honest, loyal, and empathetic, although they might struggle to express empathy. I think there are a great number of benefits.

• worked out quickly how to improve processes

i do that too

i don't tell them right away until it's so busy it would help to get some help

they wanted me back all colleagues and managers lower rank to previous job,. but woman on top didn't like me, because i did not bow to her

i did not have any real bonus for making improvements, except fondness

my bluntness does not like moderation :P

Yesterday I had a HR job interview on Meets 45min long, using my new approach - no masking. I have qualifications to be accountant, skills to be programist, so they only partially overlap, and no experience in any of those. But they called me to tell i did not get it instead of sending email. 

maybe oneday

• I was diagnosed about 6 months ago ages 40 and I have found it to be really positive. I feel a lot more at peace with myself.

Positives:

I am very good at finding errors or patterns in work.

I don't judge people and I am nice to everybody and smile a lot so I fit into teams well. (I have learnt not to be blunt and fluffy up things that I say and email which helps this).

I am extremely efficient and I have walked into many a job and worked out quickly how to improve processes.  (I don't tell them straight away as I have learnt that waiting a while is better). This has made me progress quickly in my career.

I don't get pulled into office politics because it just goes over my head anyway lol.  (I have had a problem with not realising office politics in some places though). 

When given a complex task I can completely focus on it and get it done.

I think of unusual solutions that other people don't think of, along with my ability to see patterns/links this was an asset when I worked in intelligence. 

I have made a successful career out of all of these things but as the others say we all have our own strengths and weaknesses.  If you go into a job that suits your skill set and in a nice company then you will succeed.  

• The benefits are things like good memory, well organised, see things differently to most and having a different idea of how to live your life. The issues are mental health issues tend to be worse for people on the Spectrum, people will sometimes think you are odd and employers will often not understand you. These are the basics, at least to me.

However: you can get support more easily when you need it, it is now a legal right to have workplaces adapt to make things easier for you and, lets be clear here, there is nothing actually wrong with you. You are different to other people, just like you always were. This just adds to that. It's a whole wide world out there where you can find things to enjoy doing and a place to work you'll love.

Go look. You'll be pleasantly surprised, hopefully.

• [ Autism Diagnosis Pro's ]

Evidence of autism can get you access to appropriate benefits, such as universal credit standard allowance and limit capability to work allowance. It can give enough evidence to support a PIP claim (this one is difficult but more evidence the most likely to win the appeal). It can get you access to employment support through schemes created by local authority. It can stop you from being wrongful sectioned and trapped in a mental health hospital years on end. Disclosing it with employer can protect you equality act (it can also make it difficult to be employed through traditional routes). It can help you access special education measures if you pursue education. It can assist with getting support workers when your in your darkest moment in life.      

• I can read and spell anything.

• Can you let us know where you belong so we can join in too? Because I don't belong anywhere.

• Yes i'M 42

Masking turned into 2nd skin. That lives on its own and have no idea about rules. Alexythmia means your body is doing body language but you don't understand it

• Thank you so much everyone. I have found where I belong and feel a bit better too. Do thank you so much.

• Hi Pop

I was diagnosed 4 years ago and to be honest I’m still struggling with it. The diagnosis answered a lot of questions but resolved none.

Thats probably where being diagnosed later in life is a bit tricky, after masking for 50 years I find it extremely difficult to live life as my actual self and maintain a relationship that I’ve been in for 25 years.

We are all different so as for benefits of autism it’s a wide open question. There will be things that you’re good at or even just enjoy there will also be things things that are difficult for you.

With my diagnosis came the knowledge that my processing speed is in the bottom 5% of the population but on the flip side my visual reckoning is in the top 10%

At the end of the day you are the same person you were yesterday, You now just have a diagnosis for Autism to navigate your way through.

The only advice I would give from my experience is take your time and try not to put to much pressure on yourself.

I wish you all the very best with your journey 

• Hi.  Don't dwell on the diagnosis or report, choose to feel that you are just different, neurodiverse and not a set of negative traits.  It shouldn't be this way, but anything we don't do 'normally' is marked as a negative - one day it might change, hopefully.  There are benefits, but a diagnosis by itself doesn't change much - you have to get to know your true self, make changes if you can/need, and try and get through life as best you can.  Diagnosis is just the first step on your autism journey.