Just been diognosed heard all negitive not positive

Hi I am pop and I had my.offical dionosis come though yesterday but it was all the negatives and it made me really down. I was wondering is anyone new the benefits to being autistic or is it just all bad?

Parents
  • Hmm I have just said hello and asked whether it is worth getting a formal diagnosis.  This kind of implies it doesn't add anything. 

However all I have read so far about autism is largely positive as long as you deal with it in the right way.

• Hmm I have just said hello and asked whether it is worth getting a formal diagnosis.  This kind of implies it doesn't add anything. 

However all I have read so far about autism is largely positive as long as you deal with it in the right way.

Children
  • It is largely positive but it helps if the people around you are supportive and accept the differences in thinking and behaving. Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't but we don't know that until there's a reaction to something you say, do, behave, your expressions, your gestures etc. It can be a bit of a minefield as it's not fully accepted everywhere and especially so with people who tend to be in charge or have authority eg employers, police, healthcare professionals etc. It can be just good fortune if you're surrounded by decent folk but that's not guaranteed and we need to be mindful of that.

• most of us impose sort of block on oneself that is preventing full development, we feel like imposters until both self-diagnosis and official diagnosis happen, at least grown ups, I don't know how it is for kids, with loving parents that helped them to get diagnosed and get familiar with being autistic.