Do autistic women wear makeup?

I would have started a poll but I can't see how to do that.

My daughter has just asked why I don't wear any make up, 

It's uncomfortable, makes my face itch, makes me look very odd and I can't do it myself and look like anything other than a clown but my husband says it's because I'm autistic, what do you think?

• I agree with you. I only put it on for special occasions really.

• many women really dont need it ---- wear as little as possible I say :)

• Just liking your post because my skin is extremely sensitive too, it is also very white so I feel like a clown when I put any make up on. Paper white, freckly skin doesn't look good in make up IMO.

• I never wear make up. I feel like others are looking at me funny when I wear it. I also have acne-prone skin and wearing make-up worsens the acne.

• I thought about training to be a make-up artist too. I'd love to have worked in special effects.

• I’m the same, I like to wear make up and in the past wanted to become a make up artist. I too agree with you on perfume, I can’t wear it but like the idea of it. 

• I watch the TV make-up show 'Glow Up' and a lot of the contestants on there, all aspiring make-up artists, have ASD. Personally, I absolutely love make-up, always have, both beauty and special effects. Its fun and creative and I like the way I feel when I wear it. I don't think it's an ASD thing exactly, though it could very well be a sensory issue, but I also have friends who aren't autistic and absolutely hate the stuff. 

Now perfume is a whole other matter. Much as I love the idea of it, the reality is it makes me feel sick and gives me a headache.

• Natural, clean skin, with a nice tan, looks much more attractive in my eyes.  The smell of make-up is too strong for me and the texture of it feels wrong. Maybe, sometimes, a little bit is okay to hide a bad blemish or spot,  or if you are going to a fancy dress party. Waxwork dolls. That is how people with make-up appear to me. They don't seem real. I imagine wearing make-up is a throwback from a previous less enlightened time, and a form of neurotypical conditioning which was designed to keep women in a weaker status in society by having them smear paint on their faces in order to appear attractive to men. 

• I think it's personal preference.

I don't wear makeup that often, but when I do it's mostly just eye makeup, because I have skin sensitivities (allergic to aloe vera, tea tree, cucumber, etc) and I wear glasses, so the base makeup always covers my spectacles. Also, it makes my face itch, and as I have small patches of eczema, I'm not about to deal with the problems that will cause.

I personally like a little bit of eyeshadow, a generous amount of eyeliner, mascara and a singular nude-ish colour on my lips. If you don't like to wear makeup, don't wear it. It's your body, so it's your decision.

Tell your daughter that you don't like it, but that there's nothing stopping her from playing with it. Playing with makeup can be fun, as you can figure out what everything feels like on your skin. And you never know, maybe you'll just like one product, but, if it means that much to you, you can find that one product and figure out how to rock it!

If you don't mind the suggestion, maybe try a brown mascara? It's not as harsh a colour as black, but it will give your eyes definition. I studied media makeup in college, so if I can help any more, please let me know.

Best wishes!

• I’m not officially diagnosed so I’m not sure if I technically have a say in this (I’m still trying to figure out if I’m autistic at all because every time I think, “yeah, I vibe with this a lot.” I find something that’s like “uh, no. You don’t do that. You can’t be autistic. Stop being crazy.”, but I digress), but I can’t stand makeup except like… mascara. Anything involving brushes and my face is a no, no. For senior pictures my mom and gf kinda forced me too and it took almost an hour to do minimal make up because I kept hysterically laughing because I was uncomfortable with the brushes and havining everything put on my face. I also kept running out of the bathroom. 

It also makes me feel fake while I'm wearing it, but that's just a personal thing. I feel untrue to myself and my preferences since I really don't like putting it on or wearing it. 

• Wearing makeup is your choice. Do not let be influenced by all the women and stereotypes. I like myself more without makeup, but sometimes I want to change something. I like makeup because it allows me to manifest myself. For a fresh look, I recommend a highlighter, mascara, lipstick, and eyeliner if you can do it. It is not mandatory to put on your foundation or blush that makes your face sticky. It would help if you found a cosmetic brand that suits you.

• I do I like to mask myself to blend in with other women, I would t dream of leaving the house without make up, I can look in the mirror and feel ugly and think people would stare at me, so I wear it to blend in, however I do only wear a very light foundation as I do not like the cakey feeling in my skin, there is lots of breatheable makeup available, a bit of blush feels weightless an helps me feel more confident to face the day. 

• My wife does but usually not that much.

• I think that autistic women wear make-up as well. Not all, but I think it's normal for them to wear makeup. It is not at all strange that you do not wear makeup. I also don't wear make-up. I hate when I feel the foundation on my face or even the same lashes I hate to paint them. And I'm not against girls who put on makeup. A light make-up looks very beautiful. I prefer to take care of my hair. I like to experiment, to paint it in different colors, to make different hairstyles, etc. Now I tried and made some dreadlocks. I read a beginner's guide before I got Starter Locs and got to work, haha. In my opinion, I look lovely and special. I hope so :)

• I was surprised to see this 3 year old thread popping up but oh well.

I rarely wear make up because I don't see the point. I would spend ages putting it on in the morning, only to have to take it all off again at night. Why bother? I can't see the point of putting on make up.

• I don't wear makeup, because it's uncomfortable on my face, and I dislike people staring at me, and I dislike strangers approaching me to talk to me. 

I also find it weird to have something like liquid skin shades in a bottle to apply onto my face in order to enhance it, as if my regular face would be considered a downgrade of some kind, and makeup as an upgrade. I just find that view kind of sad. I also find this peacocking type of thing that women do as being very weird. I mean just looking at photos of men and women in formal attire, men always look like penguins with the same black and white outfit, and women always look like different tropical birds, and I wonder why we evolved to be like this.    

Anyways, make up is also very time consuming, you wake up early to put it on (so you're tired, but you try to hide your tired eyes with makeup, instead of just getting a few extra hours of sleep), and all day you're paranoid about it smearing so you check every reflective surface to make sure it's not smeared to avoid embarrassment (but checking mirrors also makes you look narcissistic, and other people give you cut eyes), and then you have to take time to reapply it throughout the day, and then at night you have to wash it off, and restart the process the next day. And then when it runs out you buy more. It's just a cycle I never wanted to get myself into.

• I wear it every day. My face feels bare without it, and I feel hideous. I'm also a lesbian, which busts that stereotype! I don't like big OTT makeup though, I prefer natural makeup.

• I can't stand it. It actually hurts. 

• I only wear minimal make up like eyeliner, mascara and a little foundation which tends to be when I'm in the office, church or out and about. For the odd special occasion, I might add a bit of lipstick/lip gloss but that's it.

• I wear the same make up whether it's for going yo work or going to a wedding. The only difference might be my lipstick. I wasn't really into make up at the same time as other girls at school. It was more when I got to college. I have worn the same make up since I was 16 but one of them changed this year so I've had to find a new one. Since then I've actually really enjoyed wearing it out of the house as I like how it enhances my face. I dont actually wear much and can apply it all within about two minutes. Overall however, I prefer not wearing it. I hate the rigmarole of taking it off at night.

I don't know how to put eye shadow on well, haven't a clue about contouring (ive only heard of this cos my friend mentioned it about drag queens) and hate foundation.