Do autistic women wear makeup?

I would have started a poll but I can't see how to do that.

My daughter has just asked why I don't wear any make up, 

It's uncomfortable, makes my face itch, makes me look very odd and I can't do it myself and look like anything other than a clown but my husband says it's because I'm autistic, what do you think?

• I wear make-up. My mum always wore make up and I used to watch her putting it on in the mornings - I was curious and had a play with all her cosmetics. I enjoyed applying make-up and being able to change how I looked. I liked really dark eye make up as I thought it was pleasingly gothic and romantic! 
    I still wear make up but only if I’m going out somewhere - not if I’m just staying at home. I don’t find it itchy or uncomfortable. 

• I used to wear cosmetics a lot when I was in my teens and twenties, and then I seemed to reach a time in my life when I just could not stand the feel of it on my skin. I can honestly say that I don't miss wearing it now, or the hassle of applying it.

• I think your husband is wrong. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to do makeup correctly. You can watch a video on YouTube explaining everything in detail and telling how to do everything correctly. These videos helped me a lot. I had unsuccessful eyebrow microblading and in one of the videos, I found out about this site microneedling to remove microblading. I started following the recommendations, and after a couple of weeks, my eyebrows looked much better. So in these videos, you can find a lot of useful tips. I hope you learn how to make yourself beautiful makeup, and your husband will regret his words.

• I'm agender AFAB. I stopped wearing makeup about 10-15 years before I stopped defining as cis. I wore it in my teens because every birthday and Christmas I'd be inundated with gifts of it and it felt wasteful not to at least try.

• Every society has its ideas of what is good and bad, what is normal and what is not. Some of these attitudes help us; others hinder us. Often societal attitudes are stereotypical, irrational, and have prejudices that are passed down from generation to generation. And very often, the victims of these prejudices are those who are different from the majority. Of course, autistic women behave differently, but they are also beautiful. I had a friend who loved Anime makeup. She was very beautiful with that makeup. So, yes, everyone uses makeup.

• There are certainly some cosmetics that are awful for my skin, which is both sensitive and combination. Clinique is supposed to be hypoallergenic for those with sensitive skin though I don't really think their range is aimed and the majority market - it's a bit "old lady" for my taste.

If I'm going to an appointment, dining out, working on-site, etc. then I will always wear a full face of makeup but it's all neutral - I don't do anything tarty or elaborate. I was never any good with my make up applying skills so I learned to keep it simple and rely on particular brands and formats.

• I don't wear makeup often, I can't stand the feel of it on my skin or the smell of it. Both overwhelm me quickly so it's best to avoid if at all possible.

• I used to work for a subsidiary of a beauty brand and part of our "uniform" was to wear a minimum of 5 make up items. (Foundation, lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, blusher and eyeshadow - as a minimum). They also insisted we wear their branded perfume. I never complied with this fully, but I made an effort.

• I think society is nicer to made up women in general it’s not fair but it’s how most people operate. You may be in a nice unicorn circle of friends or work community or whatever that is super progressive and treats women as humans first and foremost but people in general, even my own family, are much nicer to me when I have a lot of make up on.

• Ha ha yes your probs right! I should have thought back but I just fall to pieces in these situations.

• ah you should wear your battle scars with pride! and make sure the other person has more of them lol

• Usually I don't wear makeup as I hate the feel of it on my skin. But I have a black eye now so I've used a little makeup to make it look a little bit better and less unsightly.

• Interesting question. I have only recently realized I am probably autistic. I never found I was good at applying makeup. I used to wear a small amount to work as thought that's what women did until I worked with someone who didn't. It was such a relief when I realized I didn't need it. One less thing to think about. Pleased to hear I am not so unusual.

• I can't go to work without my face on - it would feel like going in without my clothes on! My skin tone has always been uneven and unhealthily pale, even though I look after myself and get some sun and enough sleep. I started wearing a full face at 12 because I got so fed up of teachers asking if I was ill! The only time I don't wear make-up is when I'm out hiking - seems a waste, it would only get rained off, sweated off, or both.

• Thanks Aidie! While you're there,tell him he's a tw*t.

• I'm so cheesed off right now. Firstly, there's a face powder I had worn for 20 years which the body shop decided to discontinue. I bought a tinted skin cream based on my friend's recommendation which i love. I've been wearing that for the past year and now that has been discontinued as well. I haven't got a clue about make up, hate buying it, i don't know what a lot of the terminology is. I just want something simple which brightens my face, i generally don't wear a lot and it takes me 2 minutes to put it on in the morning. Now i've got to go looking again, wasting money on trying different ones till I get the right product. I'm seriously annoyed!!!

• Same. And once it's on, I just have to take it off again every night. What is the point of that? It's a waste of money and harms my very sensitive skin with all that constant rubbing, washing etc.

• Yes, I can't understand men who like women who are covered in thick make up. Surely natural is better.

• thanks Saffron no need to apologise. you are so polite Slight smile