Books books books

Hey there 

I just finished a audiobook called Unmasking Autism by Devon Price. I really enjoyed it and this was my first experience of an audible. I struggle to read books as I find I read and then track back and read again, I struggle to concentrate and take it all in basically.

Is there a must read book that anyone can recommend for self discovering as a newly recognised autistic? 

• I am 3 weeks out from the getting to the top of the wait list for the audiobook library copy. Looking forward.

• That is too bad. I it is like losing a friend! Did the libraries go online, like they are here?

• You are very lucky to have a good local library! Most of the ones round here have closed or at best have shrunk in size and opening times.

• Good shout r.e. Unmasking Autism. That's one of the best autism books I've ever read. I think everyone with autism should have a copy, it's a really useful book.

A book I highly recommend is Living Well on the Spectrum by Valerie L. Gaus. I own this book and I can't speak highly enough of it! It's a resource book really that takes you through becoming aware of the different ways that autism affects living day to day, and strategies you can develop to cope with the difficulties -- AND more importantly, includes strategies to capitalize on your individual strengths.

I've found this book useful a few times and it's helped me to come to terms with a lot of the difficulties I face. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I thought I would share it here just in case anyone's interested.

• I use mine ALL the time. and they have an online option. I use my phone's audio and a dedicated folder on internal storage. I love my library! and all libraries everywhere. When I travel I like to go the host country libray equivalent just for the vibe, (graveyards too which, are also a sort of archive)

• What about local libaries? Some offer an alternative / cheaper service to audible. I like to have mine on an mp3 player.

• You'd be the first! Laughing My family say they'd love for me to review the books I've just read and after two minutes they're like I've got something to do now byyyeee. Lol. I definitely recommend them though, they are all informative and useful books and helped me in different ways. 

It won't let me post in the comments bit for some reason Expressionless

• I would love hear your book reviews.

• I don’t have any of the books you listed but I have been meaning to get Unmasking Autism for ages and also the Actually Autistic Guide to Advocacy seems great as I would love to get into advocacy.

What is your favourite book from your list?

• Wow! I don't have an entire bookshelves worth of autistic books yet but I do have a few! Some of the ones I have are,

• Taking Off The Mask by Hannah Louise Belcher.
    • Unmasking Autism by Devon Price.
    • Different Not Less by Chloé Hayden.
    • But You Don't Look Autistic At All by Bianca Toeps.
    • The #ActuallyAutistic Guide to Advocacy by Jennifer Brunton.

Some are better than others but all have been pretty informative and of use to me so I recommend them, if they're not already on your bookshelf. Upside down

Best wishes,

Isadora.

• Your are welcome!

I love autism related books, I find them both interesting to read but also very helpful as they are often relatable.

Absolutely I completely agree! I have an entire bookshelf dedicated to books or memoirs authored by my neurokin.

• Thanks for the recommendation 

I love autism related books, I find them both interesting to read but also very helpful as they are often relatable.

Best wishes,

Isadora.

• Uhane, there was an acclaimed British writer of that surname, Kay ***. Sadly she died in 2001. Her life and work are now recorded on a Wiki page.

NB: I typed her full name here but it has been electronically edited out.

Ben

• A Guide to Autistic Experience by Ben Usher Barrass is brilliant! Explains aspects of autistic experiences very simply and is very colourful and visually appealing.

• Never leave the desktop without your (end to end encrypted) VPN!

• So I finished Luke's book. Enjoyed it and due to my memory can't remember all of what he's said in his previous book. But I do know what you mean. The main thing I found is that I got to the end and thought, is that the end of the book as I was hoping for more

Yes I completely understand what you mean, I thought the same thing. Like you, I am still a big fan of Luke Beardon’s work though. His next book will be about reasonable adjustments.

I hope you find Neurotribes interesting. Just to let you know, given that the book covers the history of autistic people some of the content is quite upsetting.

• So I finished Luke's book. Enjoyed it and due to my memory can't remember all of what he's said in his previous book. But I do know what you mean. The main thing I found is that I got to the end and thought, is that the end of the book as I was hoping for more. Still, I am a big Luke Beardon groupie - hands up to that. Next book (audiobook) to finish Neurotribes. Then will work through the others that I haven't read that are on this thread. xx

• I got a lot out of The Gendered Brain, By Gina Rippon, it dosen't talk about how to cope with being ASD, but it does go into the history of it and how poor so much of the research is.

I read Neurotribes and found it to American for me, I've found that with a lot of books recently, they talk loads about how things are in the US, but rarely about the UK.

• I am glad to have lifted you out of the morass of charade into the light of intellectual curiosity! Enjoy your new best friend writer PKD! You are in for such a treat!

• there was a rotoscope animation done of Scanner, actually. It was pretty good. I'll find the link. Give us a tick.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Scanner_Darkly_(film)

My fav of his would be "Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said"

followed by "Valis"