Books books books

Hey there 

I just finished a audiobook called Unmasking Autism by Devon Price. I really enjoyed it and this was my first experience of an audible. I struggle to read books as I find I read and then track back and read again, I struggle to concentrate and take it all in basically.

Is there a must read book that anyone can recommend for self discovering as a newly recognised autistic? 

• Oh they broke the mold when he began writing. He changed, along with JG Ballard so much of what Sci fi. would later become!

If you are interested in the heady history of sci fi there are some fantastic online classes at "the great courses".. I'll fetch a link for you...

Wow! I just went to the site and there are WAY more classes about the genre than every before!

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/search/science%20fiction

• Thank you so much for mentioning this chap. (PKD). I have never come across him before but having read up a little just now, he sounds very much up my street.

• No one EVER mentions hs meisterwerk "Through a Scanner Darkly"...

• Yes and I could continue this charade and be furtherly obscene but shall refrain. I don't want to bring you down to my level. 

I generally don't read fiction but shall look up the names you mentioned.

• ok. Joking?I think so, yes?

wiki the name, there he is, a very influential sci fi writer. He wrote Minority report, Blade Runner, AI, The mame in the high castle and many others. He is a legend.

And what a pity the post overlooks the other references, all great writers.

• Such an obscenity! I'll have to report you!

Ohhh moderatorrrr!

• authors name is PK D I C K. It's his actual name, from a time when the word was just a work.

• I'm reading Nick Harkaway's "Angelmaker" : it's a Connie Willis/William Gibson love child reared on a dash of PK ***. He writes a lot for the whovian universe as well.

• I have just bought Different, Not Less by Chloe Hayden. I haven’t started reading it yet but I’ve had a little glance through it and it seems like a good book. 

• "Living Well On The Spectrum" by Valerie L. Gaus this is more of a guide book for autistic adults, but it walks the reader through some skills that you might be able to teach your kid. Explains 'what is autism' in a way I found very useful. I think it's a good adults and children can find useful.

• just finished the Sleepless series of books by Nancy Kress. now reading "Men and Casrtoons" by Letham.

• That's a great book. Another you might like and find useful is "Women And Girls With Autism Spectrum Disorder" by Sarah Hendrickx. This book really resonated with me and I think when she's old enough my daughter will find the same. It has excellent reviews as well.

• I dreamed of writing sci-fi many years ago but life got in the way. Still very much addicted to reading it though.

• The very first thing I did when I got a computer with a useable keybard and CP/M was start writing a book.

Nevr finished it of course.

It was about a bloke who worked in "Ensurance". 

Ensurance of course is like insurance, in that you pay a premium, get yourself scanned (periodically) and you are now "Ensured" to live out your natural life free of accident.

The scanning process is basically, you go through a star trek type transporter, and a copy recording is made of the "pattern buffer" and held on file to be either retrieved or updated as neccesary (providing your premiums are up to date, of course) 

MY guy, naturally enough, is  a tech who has maintenance access to the machine, and is finding life a little tiring and difficult and decided to make his-self a clone to share his flat, life and go to work for him when he wants a day off. 

From this point the series kinda writes itself really...

If anyone wants to nick the idea (or even collaborate) it might be fun, I doubt I'll ever restart it on my own steam.

Abut ten years ago, me and a friend started storyboarding a conspiracy theory comedy, provisionally entitled "The most Powerful People in the world" about a non-descript street where some fairly regular looking (By my standards) people live who (completely unbeknownst to them) are all having huge effects in the world simply by living their very humdrum lives.

We were howling with laughter as this thing unfolded, it was like Tom Sharpe tried his hand at Conspiracy theory sci-fi, but I lost the notes...

That's how it can go I guess. Any writing talent I might have is hamstrung by PDA and PTSD brought on by my early difficulty with teh act of writing compunded by it being used a punishment for nearly a decade.In fact I've only really done any writing since P.C. adn teh inetrnett made it mandatory, adn if not easy, at least editabble so the fnshed item can be free of crossings out and otehr visual nastiness...    

• Im just finishing uo the last of the 3 books in that "Sleepless". It is quite prescient. She's a great teller of tales and ticks all the boxes for me. I will read more of her work. I've been looking for a new Sci Fi author to devour. I love to read sci fi. I am trying to write a sci fi story too. Its slow going but I think by the end of the summer I might have something to submit to a anthology magazine.

• I know right!!! Slight smile One of the best books I have ever bought!

• I have the book Loud Hands, it’s brilliant!

• A book I recommend is Loud Hands: Autistic People Speaking. I've read this book and found it a good resource for myself on my journey of self discovery and I still read it now from time to time.

I would recommend it to everyone who's autistic. It has great reviews too which I think says a lot about it.

"Loud Hands: Autistic People, Speaking is a collection of essays written by and for Autistic people. Spanning from the dawn of the Neurodiversity movement to the blog posts of today, Loud Hands: Autistic People, Speaking catalogues the experiences and ethos of the Autistic community and preserves both diverse personal experiences and the community’s foundational documents together side by side."

-from ASAN

Here's the link in case anyone is interested.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16328437-loud-hands?from_search=true&search_version=service

The books content was written by autistic people like you and me. That for me is what makes this book even better because I feel I can really relate.