A new baby

An experience famous for pushing NT to the edge. So I'm wondering how other ND parents found the first few months & years of having a child?My son turns 6 months old this Saturday and, he is amazing, but after navigating the birth in a pandemic and remaining supportive to my partner throughout, I find myself to be a stressed out, overworked, overwhelmed, bag of mess each day now. I feel like I never spend time alone anymore to recharge and often meltdown in various ways, constant migraines and flare-ups of sensitivities in the process.
Will it get easier? Or are we not really built for this journey? 

• (posted in error)

• Congrats on the new addition to your family! That’s such an exciting time, and I imagine how thrilled you must be. Babies can bring so much joy and a bit of chaos, but it's all part of the fun. I remember when I had my little one, I was always looking for samples to try out.

• Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

Seeing this old post brings it all back. My boy is now fast approaching 3, and he is amazing.

I'm still having flare ups, and migraines, but it's mostly because of work changes over being parent, which is something I guess.

Overall, I love being a Dad and despite the additonal demands it has brought it is a wonderful experience. Everytime he runs to me for a cuddle or wants to show me something he's proud of makes it all worth while.

Makes me thankful for life, the journey it is, is all the more poetic when you realise the challenges actually create the path to follow.

I'm going my best to turn towards challenges more as I get older and run away less. Seems to be working, not easily, but definitely makes me more fulfilled

Love to all if you, and the parents especially

• Additionally, if you're looking to make the financial challenges of parenting a little easier, you might want to check out guides on how to get free samples and free baby stuff. Some companies offer special offers and discounts that can help you save a lot.

• Sorry for bumping the thread, but I’d like to say that it's totally normal to feel overwhelmed and stressed out during the first few months and years of having a child. Remember, parenting is a learning process for everyone, regardless of neurodiversity. It can be exhausting and demanding, but trust me, it does get easier over time. As your little one grows and develops, you'll find your rhythm and discover what works best for you and your family.

• I don't have any advice but just wanted to say more power to you - I cannot imagine having to care for a baby when I can barely care for myself. 

I see my sister raising two children and the mental, physical and emotional challenges she faces every single day is just beyond me. It's so overwhelming and exhausting, all the time. Not even to mention the constant noise!

• It might be helpful to explore some practices that can help you restore emotional balance and reduce stress. Whether it's finding a few moments for yourself to recharge, engaging in activities you enjoy, or practicing mindfulness, these small self-care practices can make a big difference. Additionally, don't hesitate to reach out to your loved ones for support. They can be a great source of help and understanding.

• soon it we be over,, then it nursery,,,, then school hooray ! Slight smile

• Yeah he has started to sleep more recently. For 6 months he only slept for 3hrs at a time 24/7 so that was really starting to break us.

I definitely think kids feel that burden, my parents are starting to get quite old now so we are beginning to navigate this relationship more after our siblings emigrated to Australia.

Life is just tricky period. ND or NT tbf

• just shoot me I would prefer that 

• Sadly I have spent enough time working in adult social care to know that children don't always grow up to be helpful to their parents. Definitely one of the things that makes me cringe when people suggest that is why they felt they should have children. I wouldnt want my children to be burdened with helping me in my older age anyway after some of the things I've seen!!! 

• I can't remember much about that stage but aren't you at/ nearly at the weaning stage? - that could help baby be less demanding on you when it's the right time for them.  (I've not been diagnosed yet but am definitely ND one way or another.)

• Thanks guys. Doing a bit better this week. Planning ti tey and adjust my work schedule to give more free time to choose what to do. He is a great baby and Im in love, which i was very worried i wouldnt be, but i think one is enough for me. I feel having another would be overwhelming and i cant handle stress at all. with work as well i think it would break us, me in particular. But there is subtle pressure from our families, an expectation that we must automatically want more now we have started. i find their attitudes very ignorant tbh, makes me want to not speak to them as much. they live away from us, so we have been dealing with having a child on our own in this damn pandemic so has probably been a difficult induction into parenting tbf.

i hope you find some peace Michelle. Remember one day they will be a help to you, and that will be priceless

• Being a mother of two children, I can say that the first year is the hardest. Everything will change soon, believe me. I know that it is difficult. Can you ask someone for help? At least, for two-three hours afetr and before feeding. You will have time for yourself, for rest, for sleep. Don't hesitate to ask for help. 

• I hated becoming a parent and even now when my daughters are 3 and 7 I struggle to tolerate them. I was particularly depressed after having my oldest daughter but in hindsight this is the biggest transition. Having my younger one hasn't been as bad but now I have to contend with them bickering over very minor things. My favourite time of the day is night time because they're in bed. 

• Thanks guys, really nice to hear some positivity. Seems to be that the whole process is (quite rightly) structured to support the mother and baby throughout, but I've found the father's role is very involved, whilst working, and with all the ND and health issues I deal with, has boiled down to making me an inflamed mess.

I've always struggled to find effect ways to relax. I end up working obsessively to distract myself, which has its benefits, but really hurts my health after a while.

Meditation has certainly helped, but it seems so many of the people I know are struggling atm. Anxiety has shot up everywhere.

I like how you say it's your favourite special interest, that's a very true statement. I think if I got more of a break I would be able to enjoy it more. I think I need to scale back work so I have some space to breathe

Thanks guys

• u need to get some space for yourself like a evening one once a week, OR, 1 hour per evening  whereby u are on your own (no partner no child). 

Arrange this with your partner

then in this time you do something like

1. brisk walk
    2. headphone on listen to guided relaxation hypnotherapy or guided meditations
    3. kniitting
    4. jigsaw
    5. colouring in 
    6. hobbie

those bolded would be the best because ur mind is away from the situation 

3,4,5,6 would only work if u r in a separate room the odds are u would be interrupted. But if u can get a no interruption space than these are just as good

no 1 is the best for mental health and side effect is improvement of physical health

• The first 6 months were the worst as it was a constant rollercoster of exhaustion.  Plus adjusting to real food was stressful. BLW made it easier as preparation of mush was not something I wanted to do. And now every time there's a big routine change, like dropping a nap, it throws me out. But otherwise, I love being a stay a home mum. My little one is the best special interest I can imagine.