"ASD" is not a disorder & it certainly isn't a mental illness (most of us know that)-YT Tony Attwood on Greta Thunberg

I don't know much about Greta, except that many young people are starting to take activist roles-probably bc most of us that are older feel 'beat down' to stop many of the corrupt things in this world. I had to post this short video, mostly-for Dr. Tony's response where he laughs when ask, "What do you think about ASD as being called a mental illness." His laugh & response, that it's 'last century thinking.' I JUST LOVE HIM!

• I don't. His shifting the goalposts has me repulsed: he should withdraw the High-functioning diagnosis if he doesn't know what he's talking about. My communications issues are because Neurotypicals lack the brain capacity to follow. My obsessiveness is because it takes a lot of work to construct new thinking many times the size they're used to. They're not used to that much focus that long. So no, I'm not disordered, how dare he say I am? I've a top IQ and a decent share of a Nobel Prize to back it. Does he?

Greta's IQ would have been marked against mine. She complains she had no childhood, she had her nose in books trying to make sense of this crazy world. Too much detail, not enough structure, for a generalist: you may know everything about nothing, Mr Expert, some of us want to know enough about everything (starting from recognising we know next to nothing about the entire ontological gamut) to be able to judge who's full of BS. Generally, it requires coherent corroborated in-depth studies: in six years searching, the first common sense has only been started in the last year.Yale only started it's Genius school last year, 2020, and even there, Craig Wright's feeling his way.

So perhaps he's hearing my scorn. I don't think differently, I think more, and I have some weird traits too, reflecting my right-brain usage. However, in the case of that entire school of prejudiced know-it-alls, from Asperger to Dabrowski to Attwood and co, accept we're born bright, school us accordingly, and stop trying to drive us crazy through isolation. Don't mark us to Neurotypical norms, we're neurodivergent and those norms don't apply. Let's play the Two Ronnies and Cleese Class Distinction game. Me, IQ 153/4. Norman Normal, IQ 104. Simple Simon, marginally incompetent, 70. 153/104 = 104/70. Or more plainly, how Norman sees Simon is how I experience him. Thankfully for Norman, few are duller than Simon. Sadly for me, half of humanity are duller than him. They can't stick me as a result. I'm not interested in their reliance on the media telling them what to believe, instead of thinking for themselves. You know the kind of thing, "10 things you need to know about..." Mindless support for celebrity for the sake of celebrity. 

•  "Historical research has now shown that he [Asperger] was...a well-adapted cog in the machine of a deadly regime. He deliberately referred disabled children to the clinic Am Spiegelgrund, where he knew that they were at risk of being killed. The eponym Asperger’s syndrome ought to be used with awareness of its historical origin."  Slagstad, Ketil (28 May 2019). "Asperger, the *** and the children – the history of the birth of a diagnosis"Tidsskrift for den Norske Laegeforening139 (9). 

• Sorry, i disagree. Hans Asperger was not evil. He was an outspoken anti nâzi. The SS did not arrest him nor the gestapo as he was useful to them. Im a Aspie, always have been, always will be.

• TheLoneWolf,

If you haven't done so yet, watch some videos or read some books about "neurodiversity". Fortunately some professionals have began to embrace it and see it is possibly the next paradigm shift to inclusion. 

One book I suggest is "The Power of Neurodiversity" by PhD. Thomas Armstrong. He talks about several neurological conditions including autism about the strengths that come with them and how to create environments suitable, and which jobs these conditions can have an advantage of.

• I understand where you're coming from but this is a debate has been going of for the last decade. some of those diagnosed with autism with actual brain damage that occurred during birth and prior prenatal development are often and wrongly given an autism diagnosis. The point that i am getting at is that there are a lot of individuals with chronic intellectual disabilities (Never be able to be independent) that are slapped with a autism diagnosis and often do not have autism.     

• Blue,

I don't think you're getting me, is natural neurodevelopment brain damage, or is it the interference with natural neurodevelopment that's brain damage? Variation does not equal brain damage, everyone's neurodevelopment varies, so if you're going to claim variation in neurodevelopment is brain damage you're claiming everyone has brain damage. 

I don't see natural neurodevelopment like an autistic brain as brain damage. I believe autistic brains can have brain damage, but autism itself is not brain damage, the brain damage is separate. There's no validity in calling a brain "damaged" just because it's different. In brains of autistics, dyslexics, down syndrome, ADHD etc. there is regions that function more greatly than those regions in neurotypical brains, how do we validly claim it's not a neurotypical brain working wrong in those regions? There is no scientific basis to claim variation equels damage just because there's fewer. Just like variation doesn't equel damage, fewer doesn't equel wrong.

Just like you're using the term "with", autism with brain damage is claiming autism is one thing and brain damage is something separate with it as I said.

• No, But some children are diagnosed with autism who also happened to be born with brain damage or intellectual disability and these individuals are highlighted in every debate referring to autism. That charity event that had the autism community up in arms is another great example of this as the event wasn't about autism but those with autism who where born with brain damage or severe intellectual disability and raising money to prevent it.  

• Its because she said autism is a superpower. She not going to have to experience the difficult barriers most of us face because she is extremely wealthy background. its like comparing a poor man to a rich man.  

• How about you use google and find out yourself and make a decision for yourself. I found out this information within a couples of minuets on google.

• The world just isn’t really set up for us it’s a shame but there isn’t much we can do except change the small things in our own lives to help rather than try to change the structure of society 

• I have to say that I value Sir David Attenborough's opinion over yours. 

• She is a child herself and what I've seen of her based on her own words she is not the type to manipulate anyone. In fact I admire her for being true to herself at such a young age. She is much more true to herself than most adults I have came across. She is a credit to herself and an inspiration to all people. young or old and is a fine example of using her Austism strengths for bringing about positive change that will benefit all of humanity and listening to her own conscience. 

• I can't help thinking that a few of the people here, if alive in the 15th century, would have been happy to light the faggots under Joan of Arc.

• Wow - as if you manage to keep threads on track  Smiley

You think having autism gives her a free pass to manipulate gullible children?

That's 5 replies now-  I'll help you count.

• I think you've responded about 4 times on this post and none have anything to do with the actual subject of the OP. What claims you have made outside the subject, you haven't provided a shred of evidence for either. 

You'd rather rip to shreds a young girl with Autism.

• radicalise children

Exactly - no facts, no critical thinking, no measurement, all emotion - all knee-jerk politics for money.

• I don't know much about her, Plastic, but from what I've seen, she's an effective mascot to help radicalise children into environmental activism. 

• Greta is specifically chosen / programmed to take advantage of the 'speshul' girl-child persona to tug the heart strings and fog the minds of the typical viewer.     An underage 'mother earth' shtick.    All very cynical, coordinated and timed by a whole team of media professionals to influence public opinion to get funding support for their many parasitical businesses. .

I feel sorry for her - she's been totally used, abused and will be dumped when she's no further use to them.

• I wonder if there would have been quite so much hostility and views of her being in some way 'controlled' had she been a boy, rather than a girl? I believe that she is an adult now, as she is 18 years old. Being the daughter of an actor and opera singer and the granddaughter of a theatre director doesn't strike me as being particularly tainted by corporate big-business, quite the opposite. Besides which, who is responsible for the actions of ones parents? 

• It is a difference in brain architecture and brain function. Nothing in the brain is damaged by autism, it just develops somewhat differently to most neurotypicals. There hasn't been a definitive answer to what the differences are, but they seem to involve, amongst other things, an increase in short-distance connectivity in the brain and a decrease in longer-range connectivity, This is thought to be partly responsible for the heightened abilities in hyper-focusing (reliant on short-range connectivity), such as researching facts or writing a thesis, that autistics display,. This can be compared to things like ball-based team games, at which autistics tend to be poor, where the integration of visual, motion, spatial awareness, trajectory predictive and many other parts of the brain (reliant on long-range connectivity) are vital.

This architectural difference also affects abilities in social interaction, again requiring lots of co-ordination between parts of the brain, and sensory issues.