New diagnosis

Hi, I have just found out that I have had a diagnosis of ASD. It was diagnosed a year ago, but nobody told me until now. I feel very numb and shocked-although I wanted the diagnosis. Social settings are too complex. My son has ASD also. I 45 years old. Don't know were to go from here. Can anyone advice please?

• Thanks Arron.  My psychiatrist today said pretty much the same thing.  I think I am just finding it very hard to understand and accept that I can be so bright (academically at least) and so totally incapable of normal day-to-day functioning (at least in any sustained way) simultaneously.  Not helped by other people struggling to understand the same thing.  It''s like I can manage each of the individual tasks I need to do, but when I try to do them all at once and in a timely and prioritised way, sooner or later everything collapses.  I think my high levels of perfectionism and extreme difficulty with multi-tasking/obsessiveness play a significant role.

• Hi Arron.

You're not an idiot at all, far from it. The Consultant said 'wait' so you did. That's normal behaviour, for us - we tend to take things literaly.

Your doctor must have been taken by surprise to find that you hadn't had a copy of the report, it's usual for them to send one direct to you. What a ***-up!

• Thank you Electra. I don't know what to do now. I'm not surprised just feel daft-I know it's silly to wait for a promised report for as long as a year, but I didn't know how long to wait. The psychiatrist told me to wait for his report. I felt sorry for the doctor. He just came out with it. What an idiot waiting on the post for a whole year. 

• Soldersplash, again, so sorry to read this. Don't know what answer to give you. But if it is of help, your comments have left me not feeling alone. Thank you. Despite how you are feeling, you have managed to share your current story and I am very grateful.

• Thank you Zitami. I am so sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. In my naivity I assumed this would be part in parcel of a symptom of ASD for adults? But I don't have a clue.

• Thank you Classic Codger. It's really appreciated to hear so soon from someone who gets it.

• Zitami said:

have this issue of periodically just 'crashing', usually resulting in severe depression and a seemingly total inability to cope with 'joined up living' for long periods.  It is incredibly frustrating because I just can't understand why it keeps happening or what to do about it and it seems to be getting progressively harder to rebuild my life after each episode.

This is me also. I am going through yet another severe depressive episode, it's been dragging on for something like 10 wks now. I have specifically asked to be referred to a Psychologist to discuss the combination of Aspergers & Major Depression because the help I've previously had hasn't recognised my autistic traits and has only been the typical depression (guided) self help stuff in the foothills of CBT. I haven't found that very useful, especially longer term i.e. I can't seem to keep myself well.

• Hi Arron, 

I really relate to what you say in your post.  I have ASD and generalised anxiety disorder but also seem to have this issue of periodically just 'crashing', usually resulting in severe depression and a seemingly total inability to cope with 'joined up living' for long periods.  It is incredibly frustrating because I just can't understand why it keeps happening or what to do about it and it seems to be getting progressively harder to rebuild my life after each episode.  The mental health team are trying their best but don't seem to have any more of an answer than I do.  I wonder how common this is for us?

• Aaron I'm so sorry you've had such a bad experience and that the system has let you down so badly.

The medical profession think their job ends when they give us a diagnosis so we get no help in dealing with this life-changing, earth-shattering news.

Apart from this forum perhaps your best option is to se if there is a charity or other group in your area that supports autistic adults. You may see advice elsewhere on this site to call the NAS Helpline. In my experience the phone is never answered and even if you leave a message when in crisis nobody gets back to you.

Keep talking to us, you're not alone.

• I'm not surprised that you're shocked, I can't think of worse ways to find out than instantly - we don't like surprises, we like plans.

It's OK to feel the way you do right now. I was given mine by the assessor as he walked me from the building. My whole world turned to something unrecognisable, I didn't know whether I was coming or going, I was wobbly in all sorts of ways. One of the biggest shocks was suddenly finding out who I am.

My assessor gave me a list of websites, but there really wasn't anything else he could tell me. This website was one of them, and I feel better for finding a community that 'gets' me. I hope you have the same experience.

I spent ages just reading the pages and watching what people were talking about, before I felt able to join in. I think you've come to the best place, you can ask anything you like and others are sure to have something to say to you, but don't forget that we want to hear what you have to say too!

And remember this. Lots of us have been where you are now, so we know what a strange time this is for you. It will soon pass, you'll get comfortable with us, we hope, and we're always glad to welcome new people.

• Hello and thank you.

I had a diagnosis of depression and not worked in three years and feel unable to work. I just seem to crash when the structure changes from daily routine. In an effort to 'snap myself out of it' I tried everything: Counselling; exercise; changing to healthier diet ect...but I would crash at any problem, challenge, change. Crash to me means sleep. Just walk away and sleep.

By chance I filled in a questionnaire on autism, not expecting to have the suggestion made. It took a year for me to see the pattern of my social and emotional gaps.

I have no common sense, no sense of danger unless I have been stung and the lesson learnt.No understanding of other people. Completely no understanding of people.

I went to my gp with my opinion and experience in writing (it helps me) and asked for a referral.

To cut a long story short, my referal was lost. Then it was sorted, saw the psychiatrist.

He told me he would be in contact and to wait for his written assessment. But he never did write.

I found it hard to go to my gp, as he did not assess me. But had to for other reasons.

When I enquired, he checked my records and told me that a diagnosis was made by the psychiatrist of ASD.Two copies sent to him and he did not know, I was not informed.

I now have a copy of the letter and the lead practioner has discharged me.

I am just shocked. I need help with chaos around me but don't know how to unravel it.

Thanks for listening.

• Hi Arron, welcome to the community

You've probably done the best thing you can at the moment, which is to come on here and start talking. There are lots of old posts to read that cover most things, but you can get information overload that way.

I think it's better to chat away here and get involved with other threads too. Your thoughts and opinions count, so we want to hear them, and if you're suffering anything, we can always do our best to comfort and support you. People will give you all sorts of advice and pointers, and you might find that you can offer some too!

That's a bit strange, being diagnosed but not told. Do you feel like telling us how that came about?