New diagnosis

Hi, I have just found out that I have had a diagnosis of ASD. It was diagnosed a year ago, but nobody told me until now. I feel very numb and shocked-although I wanted the diagnosis. Social settings are too complex. My son has ASD also. I 45 years old. Don't know were to go from here. Can anyone advice please?

Parents
  • I'm not surprised that you're shocked, I can't think of worse ways to find out than instantly - we don't like surprises, we like plans.

It's OK to feel the way you do right now. I was given mine by the assessor as he walked me from the building. My whole world turned to something unrecognisable, I didn't know whether I was coming or going, I was wobbly in all sorts of ways. One of the biggest shocks was suddenly finding out who I am.

My assessor gave me a list of websites, but there really wasn't anything else he could tell me. This website was one of them, and I feel better for finding a community that 'gets' me. I hope you have the same experience.

I spent ages just reading the pages and watching what people were talking about, before I felt able to join in. I think you've come to the best place, you can ask anything you like and others are sure to have something to say to you, but don't forget that we want to hear what you have to say too!

And remember this. Lots of us have been where you are now, so we know what a strange time this is for you. It will soon pass, you'll get comfortable with us, we hope, and we're always glad to welcome new people.

• I'm not surprised that you're shocked, I can't think of worse ways to find out than instantly - we don't like surprises, we like plans.

It's OK to feel the way you do right now. I was given mine by the assessor as he walked me from the building. My whole world turned to something unrecognisable, I didn't know whether I was coming or going, I was wobbly in all sorts of ways. One of the biggest shocks was suddenly finding out who I am.

My assessor gave me a list of websites, but there really wasn't anything else he could tell me. This website was one of them, and I feel better for finding a community that 'gets' me. I hope you have the same experience.

I spent ages just reading the pages and watching what people were talking about, before I felt able to join in. I think you've come to the best place, you can ask anything you like and others are sure to have something to say to you, but don't forget that we want to hear what you have to say too!

And remember this. Lots of us have been where you are now, so we know what a strange time this is for you. It will soon pass, you'll get comfortable with us, we hope, and we're always glad to welcome new people.

Children
No Data