New diagnosis

Hi, I have just found out that I have had a diagnosis of ASD. It was diagnosed a year ago, but nobody told me until now. I feel very numb and shocked-although I wanted the diagnosis. Social settings are too complex. My son has ASD also. I 45 years old. Don't know were to go from here. Can anyone advice please?

Parents
  • Aaron I'm so sorry you've had such a bad experience and that the system has let you down so badly.

The medical profession think their job ends when they give us a diagnosis so we get no help in dealing with this life-changing, earth-shattering news.

Apart from this forum perhaps your best option is to se if there is a charity or other group in your area that supports autistic adults. You may see advice elsewhere on this site to call the NAS Helpline. In my experience the phone is never answered and even if you leave a message when in crisis nobody gets back to you.

Keep talking to us, you're not alone.

• Aaron I'm so sorry you've had such a bad experience and that the system has let you down so badly.

The medical profession think their job ends when they give us a diagnosis so we get no help in dealing with this life-changing, earth-shattering news.

Apart from this forum perhaps your best option is to se if there is a charity or other group in your area that supports autistic adults. You may see advice elsewhere on this site to call the NAS Helpline. In my experience the phone is never answered and even if you leave a message when in crisis nobody gets back to you.

Keep talking to us, you're not alone.

Children
No Data