New diagnosis

Hi, I have just found out that I have had a diagnosis of ASD. It was diagnosed a year ago, but nobody told me until now. I feel very numb and shocked-although I wanted the diagnosis. Social settings are too complex. My son has ASD also. I 45 years old. Don't know were to go from here. Can anyone advice please?

Parents
  • Zitami said:

have this issue of periodically just 'crashing', usually resulting in severe depression and a seemingly total inability to cope with 'joined up living' for long periods.  It is incredibly frustrating because I just can't understand why it keeps happening or what to do about it and it seems to be getting progressively harder to rebuild my life after each episode.

This is me also. I am going through yet another severe depressive episode, it's been dragging on for something like 10 wks now. I have specifically asked to be referred to a Psychologist to discuss the combination of Aspergers & Major Depression because the help I've previously had hasn't recognised my autistic traits and has only been the typical depression (guided) self help stuff in the foothills of CBT. I haven't found that very useful, especially longer term i.e. I can't seem to keep myself well.

• Zitami said:

have this issue of periodically just 'crashing', usually resulting in severe depression and a seemingly total inability to cope with 'joined up living' for long periods.  It is incredibly frustrating because I just can't understand why it keeps happening or what to do about it and it seems to be getting progressively harder to rebuild my life after each episode.

This is me also. I am going through yet another severe depressive episode, it's been dragging on for something like 10 wks now. I have specifically asked to be referred to a Psychologist to discuss the combination of Aspergers & Major Depression because the help I've previously had hasn't recognised my autistic traits and has only been the typical depression (guided) self help stuff in the foothills of CBT. I haven't found that very useful, especially longer term i.e. I can't seem to keep myself well.

Children
No Data