New diagnosis

Hi, I have just found out that I have had a diagnosis of ASD. It was diagnosed a year ago, but nobody told me until now. I feel very numb and shocked-although I wanted the diagnosis. Social settings are too complex. My son has ASD also. I 45 years old. Don't know were to go from here. Can anyone advice please?

Parents
  • Hello and thank you.

I had a diagnosis of depression and not worked in three years and feel unable to work. I just seem to crash when the structure changes from daily routine. In an effort to 'snap myself out of it' I tried everything: Counselling; exercise; changing to healthier diet ect...but I would crash at any problem, challenge, change. Crash to me means sleep. Just walk away and sleep.

By chance I filled in a questionnaire on autism, not expecting to have the suggestion made. It took a year for me to see the pattern of my social and emotional gaps.

I have no common sense, no sense of danger unless I have been stung and the lesson learnt.No understanding of other people. Completely no understanding of people.

I went to my gp with my opinion and experience in writing (it helps me) and asked for a referral.

To cut a long story short, my referal was lost. Then it was sorted, saw the psychiatrist.

He told me he would be in contact and to wait for his written assessment. But he never did write.

I found it hard to go to my gp, as he did not assess me. But had to for other reasons.

When I enquired, he checked my records and told me that a diagnosis was made by the psychiatrist of ASD.Two copies sent to him and he did not know, I was not informed.

I now have a copy of the letter and the lead practioner has discharged me.

I am just shocked. I need help with chaos around me but don't know how to unravel it.

Thanks for listening.

• Hello and thank you.

I had a diagnosis of depression and not worked in three years and feel unable to work. I just seem to crash when the structure changes from daily routine. In an effort to 'snap myself out of it' I tried everything: Counselling; exercise; changing to healthier diet ect...but I would crash at any problem, challenge, change. Crash to me means sleep. Just walk away and sleep.

By chance I filled in a questionnaire on autism, not expecting to have the suggestion made. It took a year for me to see the pattern of my social and emotional gaps.

I have no common sense, no sense of danger unless I have been stung and the lesson learnt.No understanding of other people. Completely no understanding of people.

I went to my gp with my opinion and experience in writing (it helps me) and asked for a referral.

To cut a long story short, my referal was lost. Then it was sorted, saw the psychiatrist.

He told me he would be in contact and to wait for his written assessment. But he never did write.

I found it hard to go to my gp, as he did not assess me. But had to for other reasons.

When I enquired, he checked my records and told me that a diagnosis was made by the psychiatrist of ASD.Two copies sent to him and he did not know, I was not informed.

I now have a copy of the letter and the lead practioner has discharged me.

I am just shocked. I need help with chaos around me but don't know how to unravel it.

Thanks for listening.

Children
No Data