New diagnosis

Hi, I have just found out that I have had a diagnosis of ASD. It was diagnosed a year ago, but nobody told me until now. I feel very numb and shocked-although I wanted the diagnosis. Social settings are too complex. My son has ASD also. I 45 years old. Don't know were to go from here. Can anyone advice please?

Parents
  • Thanks Arron.  My psychiatrist today said pretty much the same thing.  I think I am just finding it very hard to understand and accept that I can be so bright (academically at least) and so totally incapable of normal day-to-day functioning (at least in any sustained way) simultaneously.  Not helped by other people struggling to understand the same thing.  It''s like I can manage each of the individual tasks I need to do, but when I try to do them all at once and in a timely and prioritised way, sooner or later everything collapses.  I think my high levels of perfectionism and extreme difficulty with multi-tasking/obsessiveness play a significant role.

• Thanks Arron.  My psychiatrist today said pretty much the same thing.  I think I am just finding it very hard to understand and accept that I can be so bright (academically at least) and so totally incapable of normal day-to-day functioning (at least in any sustained way) simultaneously.  Not helped by other people struggling to understand the same thing.  It''s like I can manage each of the individual tasks I need to do, but when I try to do them all at once and in a timely and prioritised way, sooner or later everything collapses.  I think my high levels of perfectionism and extreme difficulty with multi-tasking/obsessiveness play a significant role.

Children
No Data