newly diagnosed but feel like a fraud

I was diagnosed last week after my son being diagnosed earlier this year. I didn't think there was much wrong with him as he is very similar to the way I was when I was younger.

I also have been previously diagnosed with ocd in the past and had therapy for anxiety and depression.  this is where I feel like a fraud because in the  past I pushed for the ocd diagnosis and was also asking if I was bipolar and pushing for that too. When talking about getting autism diagnosis with my husband he said he thinks I am very suggestible - like I got the idea in my head that I was and pursued the diagnosis but I'm not really. Now I'm wondering if I exaggerated in my assessment to get diagnosed. I thought I was being honest at the time though.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I hate these forum things.

• You're very kind, thank you.

As far as the GP is concerned, yes, give as much information as possible to help the GP decide that his request for referal is justified.

As far as diagnosis is concerned, a good assessor should get the information that they want because they'll know the questions that they want answers to, so I wouldn't get overly concerned about those aspects. I rather think that if you have to tell them, they're not being proactive, but that's just my view.

As far as education and the ensuing workplace are concerned, well with the diagnosis he will be covered by the Equality Act anyway. I'd follow Napoleon's dictum - first engage the enemy, then we'll see... You're right about people and the workplace though, and you're concerns aren't ill-founded, but he'll have the support of law which is still new for everyone and we don't have much evidence yet about how it might work. He's a way from that though, if I understand you correctly.

I sincerely hope that with a diagnosis, and chats on here, you'll find lots of suggestions for ways to manage all sorts of circumstances, but first he'll have to learn to manage his condition of course, and look on the adventure of learning together as just that - a learning opportunity.

On the plus side, you have a special person, he wouldn't be achieving anything at all if he didn't have a special Mum, and if he ever wants to do pro bono work for abused AS people, he'll get plenty of opportunity!

• Dear Classic Codger (love the name)

I so much apreciate you taking the time to reply to my post...thank you

He is going to the GP tomorow and as he is inteligent he does realize some issues are holding him back. He has been asking me things like am I ok, is that good, do you think, how am I walking & am I going to be ok? He also looks in the mirror at any oportunity car mirrors etc.

It is good to know that ASD can be diagnosed as I am going to have to face this head on and understand it more to support him. He is currently looking for jobs before his masters starts in September, but I feel he is wasting his time....who would employ him. We have been working on things like his timeing, where he must place himself, the nature of his conversation and how he represents himself. We are making some ground but I feel he is limited and would not last in the kind of workplace I know. People are not kind, get impatient and would not have tolerance.

I do talk about my fears and he is listening. He must be able to talk to his GP tomorow and give a full list of the problems he has

Thanks again

• For anyone who wants it, 'I Think I Might Be Autistic' by Cynthia Kim contains a summary of the DSM-5 criteria, and a list of questions looking at how they might be applied to an adult.  One postitive is that DSM-5 includes sensory sensitivites as an optional criteria: for me that possibly increases my chances of being diagnosed.

• classic codger said:
    I'm surprised you can't find it on a search engine, I use the guaranteed-to-be-private Ixquick because Google spy on people and collect personal data without permission.

Searching Google for the phrase "type 1 ASD" has one of your recent posts here as the second result.  There are only three pages of results (when I go through them, and without including omitted results), and your post is the only one that uses the term "type 1 ASD" in the way you do.  The very few other results involving autism mean different things by "type 1".

Including omitted results, posts of yours here are the second and third results.  There are only five pages of results, and your posts are the only ones using the term "type 1 ASD" in your way.

[quote]It is an attempt to bring both diagnosis and spectrum disorders under a single term, that of ASD under the new diagnostic guidelines of DSM-5. Try this:-

www.sciencedaily.com/.../quote]

That didn't really help, since it doesn't say anything about the way you're using the word "type".

However, searching Google for the phrase "type 1 autism" did bring a result that led, in turn, to something about three levels of severity in DSM-5, with level one being the least severe and level three the most severe.  Searching Google for the phrase "level 1 ASD" seems a lot more successful, and seems to be what you mean by "type 1 ASD".

Is "level 1 ASD" what you mean?

• I'm surprised you can't find it on a search engine, I use the guaranteed-to-be-private Ixquick because Google spy on people and collect personal data without permission.

It is an attempt to bring both diagnosis and spectrum disorders under a single term, that of ASD under the new diagnostic guidelines of DSM-5. Try this:-

www.sciencedaily.com/.../140226074524.htm

• classic codger said:
    I, for instance, am type 1 ASD, formerly known as Asperger Syndrome, or Asperger's, for short.

What's the classification system (or whatever) that the term "type 1 ASD" is part of?  I've tried Google, but not very successfully.

• Hello fenton. We are trying to use the term ASD now. These are desired changes in the way that ASD is diagnosed and represented. I, for instance, am type 1 ASD, formerly known as Asperger Syndrome, or Asperger's, for short.

If your son feels that he would benefit from a diagnosis, his first stop would be his GP. He should talk about why he thinks he has ASD and be able to give some examples. Many people seem to find that getting a GP to refer them for assessment is the first, and largest, hurdle. If he isn't keen, you cannot force him, and nor can you persuade him that if he is ASD, he might find his life improved by knowing.

There are many aspects to ASD, and a diagnosis can only be carried out by a trained professional. This is because there are behaviours that are exagerated 'normal' behaviours for non-AS people, or are other conditions. Research is ongoing, some 'conditions' are recently recognised as being on the autism spectrum, so it's all still a moveable feast I'm afraid.

If your son doesn't feel that his behaviour or the things that happen to him are abnormal, he isn't going to see any point in pursuing this. Your 'fears' for him are not nearly enough, you need to be able to talk about why you have those fears.

• Hello

I have a 21 year old son who I fear has asbergers

Can I get him diagnosed?

Can he get financial support?

Is there fellowship meetings I Can take him to to meet others? 

Can I help him 

He just recieved a scholorship to study for a masters in Law!

He is my son and I want help, he's not eager to come here 

Please any responce would be appreciated 

Thank you

• heya, i feel like that some days too! i have been to many psycyatrists for a diagnosis with a personality disorder and now my daughter is undergoing many tests for asd. some days im 100% sure of behaviours, whilst on other days (what i call down days) i question things, is it just me? am i just a bad parent? etc etc.

all i can say (and its something i say to myself) with the amount of appointments we have both been going through, if it wasnt true then this would have certainly been picked up and something else would have been flagged. you know yourself and your children best and no one can tell you otherwise.

• Thanks very much for replying and giving so much information. I have a lot to think about. It's so much to digest and not helped by the fact we're moving to the other end of the country next Monday. I really appreciate your advice and I'll definitely be back for more oh and thanks for the reading list that will definitely help

• Hello and welcome,

It's important to understand that ASD is the condition, but under that umbrella many (but not all) other co-occuring conditions may be present. Those you have mentioned are those conditions. The diagram in the link below, although not comprehensive in my opinion, illustrates this.

www.google.co.uk/search

We are highly, suggestable, but i would concur with Classic. If your assessor has diagnosed you, he/she will have looked at the global picture and you should have some faith in their ability to assess.

Many have very poor experiences with assessment where some of those assessing use the male bias criteria of presentation, that typical males with ASD display and therefore dismiss the female presentation, which is completely different. These assessors, if dismissive of a patient who has gone to the trouble of asking for an assessment, can do a lot of damage. (The general consensis of a patient is that they don't like to waste the doctors time unecessarily) This also leads to many more women tan men being under or remaining undiagnosed. It's clear that your assessor is clued up and accordingly you have received a diagnosis.

Take some time to come to terms with your diagnosis, but also read up about the condition. The chances are that you are more susceptible to your husbands suggestions at this point, as he is probably the closest to you.

Even though my children had ASD and were diagnosed early; as incomprehensible as it sounds, I didn't see it in myself. The more I've learned, the more i've realised how Aspie I am.

Sadly, I was searching for years for the answer (singular) to why I didn't cope, but now I realise that the condition is not a single element of symptoms and presentations, but a whole array of them unique to me. Now suddenly, everything makes sense. I'm not just clumsey, socially awkward and anxcious separately, but wholey Aspie.

As a women of the spectrum, I reccommend you read Sarah Hendrickx and or watch a few of her you tube videos. Links below.

www.youtube.com/watch

When you have had time to comprehend the diagnosis, the thing to look toward is happiness and well-being.

www.youtube.com/watch

Also read cynthia Kim (Nerdy, shy and socially inappropriate.) and look at 'Musings of an Aspie.'

musingsofanaspie.com/.../

I hope my ramblings make sense and wish you all the best on your journey.

C.x

• Hi Joldene. You're not in the wrong place for this, you're in exactly the right place! Let's see if we can help. I am diagnosed, so I'm speaking from personal experience, and so will others.

Clearly you have been struggling for a long time, feeling your feelings and wondering what the hell is going on for you. Yes, you've tried various diagnoses that seemed to 'fit' at the time, and yes, there can be an element of self-fulfilling prophesy - I have serious issues with people who diagnose themselves from internet information for that very reason.

I would find it almost impossible to believe that you could go through an ASD assessement 'faking it' as you're thinking. What did you 'fake' or 'exagerate' and why do you dismiss the professionalism if your assessor?

I accept that the assessement is down to the skill of the assessor, but none of your previous diagnoses are outside of the ASD experience. In my case, I very much identify with the effects of undiagnosed ASD on you, because I've had them too, as have many others - I want to strongly emphasise my assurance to you that you're not alone or unique with that. And, I had an allegedly very knowledgeable and highly respected  psychiatrist call me a fake, although he didn't say a fake what, and actually did me harm with his ignorant opinion. He was NOT my assessor...

'Pushing' for a diagnosis wasn't what you did, it was a sign that you were desperately seeking answers and 'pushing' for an explanation. I spent 40 years doing that (yes, really - again, not unique experience)) although to be honest, ASD never once entered my head. I thank my God for the GP who had enough faith and trust in me to go against existing 'psychiatric' opinion and raise her serious concerns about the misdagnosis and subsequent mistreatment by the NHS, or as you and I would say, she wasn't having it.

By its' very nature, ASD makes us highly suggestible. Actually, it isn't that, it's that we tend to believe what we are told. It is a vulnerability that we all share. Your husband is actualy missunderstanding a key element of ASD. Get him on here separately, we'll help you educate him - he's got a very special lady in his life and he'll be keen to get a new understanding of both you, and his good fortune.

Like me, and others, you are probably finding that this new diagnosis brings with it much confusion for you. All I can say is, stay on here, talk about yourself, let us go through it with you, and things will become much clearer for you. I've never read anyone on here who says that it turned out that their diagnosis of ASD turned out to be wrong.

We're here for you, you are not alone Smile