newly diagnosed but feel like a fraud

I was diagnosed last week after my son being diagnosed earlier this year. I didn't think there was much wrong with him as he is very similar to the way I was when I was younger.

I also have been previously diagnosed with ocd in the past and had therapy for anxiety and depression.  this is where I feel like a fraud because in the  past I pushed for the ocd diagnosis and was also asking if I was bipolar and pushing for that too. When talking about getting autism diagnosis with my husband he said he thinks I am very suggestible - like I got the idea in my head that I was and pursued the diagnosis but I'm not really. Now I'm wondering if I exaggerated in my assessment to get diagnosed. I thought I was being honest at the time though.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I hate these forum things.

Parents
  • You're very kind, thank you.

As far as the GP is concerned, yes, give as much information as possible to help the GP decide that his request for referal is justified.

As far as diagnosis is concerned, a good assessor should get the information that they want because they'll know the questions that they want answers to, so I wouldn't get overly concerned about those aspects. I rather think that if you have to tell them, they're not being proactive, but that's just my view.

As far as education and the ensuing workplace are concerned, well with the diagnosis he will be covered by the Equality Act anyway. I'd follow Napoleon's dictum - first engage the enemy, then we'll see... You're right about people and the workplace though, and you're concerns aren't ill-founded, but he'll have the support of law which is still new for everyone and we don't have much evidence yet about how it might work. He's a way from that though, if I understand you correctly.

I sincerely hope that with a diagnosis, and chats on here, you'll find lots of suggestions for ways to manage all sorts of circumstances, but first he'll have to learn to manage his condition of course, and look on the adventure of learning together as just that - a learning opportunity.

On the plus side, you have a special person, he wouldn't be achieving anything at all if he didn't have a special Mum, and if he ever wants to do pro bono work for abused AS people, he'll get plenty of opportunity!

• You're very kind, thank you.

As far as the GP is concerned, yes, give as much information as possible to help the GP decide that his request for referal is justified.

As far as diagnosis is concerned, a good assessor should get the information that they want because they'll know the questions that they want answers to, so I wouldn't get overly concerned about those aspects. I rather think that if you have to tell them, they're not being proactive, but that's just my view.

As far as education and the ensuing workplace are concerned, well with the diagnosis he will be covered by the Equality Act anyway. I'd follow Napoleon's dictum - first engage the enemy, then we'll see... You're right about people and the workplace though, and you're concerns aren't ill-founded, but he'll have the support of law which is still new for everyone and we don't have much evidence yet about how it might work. He's a way from that though, if I understand you correctly.

I sincerely hope that with a diagnosis, and chats on here, you'll find lots of suggestions for ways to manage all sorts of circumstances, but first he'll have to learn to manage his condition of course, and look on the adventure of learning together as just that - a learning opportunity.

On the plus side, you have a special person, he wouldn't be achieving anything at all if he didn't have a special Mum, and if he ever wants to do pro bono work for abused AS people, he'll get plenty of opportunity!

Children
No Data