newly diagnosed but feel like a fraud

I was diagnosed last week after my son being diagnosed earlier this year. I didn't think there was much wrong with him as he is very similar to the way I was when I was younger.

I also have been previously diagnosed with ocd in the past and had therapy for anxiety and depression.  this is where I feel like a fraud because in the  past I pushed for the ocd diagnosis and was also asking if I was bipolar and pushing for that too. When talking about getting autism diagnosis with my husband he said he thinks I am very suggestible - like I got the idea in my head that I was and pursued the diagnosis but I'm not really. Now I'm wondering if I exaggerated in my assessment to get diagnosed. I thought I was being honest at the time though.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I hate these forum things.

Parents
  • Dear Classic Codger (love the name)

I so much apreciate you taking the time to reply to my post...thank you

He is going to the GP tomorow and as he is inteligent he does realize some issues are holding him back. He has been asking me things like am I ok, is that good, do you think, how am I walking & am I going to be ok? He also looks in the mirror at any oportunity car mirrors etc.

It is good to know that ASD can be diagnosed as I am going to have to face this head on and understand it more to support him. He is currently looking for jobs before his masters starts in September, but I feel he is wasting his time....who would employ him. We have been working on things like his timeing, where he must place himself, the nature of his conversation and how he represents himself. We are making some ground but I feel he is limited and would not last in the kind of workplace I know. People are not kind, get impatient and would not have tolerance.

I do talk about my fears and he is listening. He must be able to talk to his GP tomorow and give a full list of the problems he has

Thanks again

• Dear Classic Codger (love the name)

I so much apreciate you taking the time to reply to my post...thank you

He is going to the GP tomorow and as he is inteligent he does realize some issues are holding him back. He has been asking me things like am I ok, is that good, do you think, how am I walking & am I going to be ok? He also looks in the mirror at any oportunity car mirrors etc.

It is good to know that ASD can be diagnosed as I am going to have to face this head on and understand it more to support him. He is currently looking for jobs before his masters starts in September, but I feel he is wasting his time....who would employ him. We have been working on things like his timeing, where he must place himself, the nature of his conversation and how he represents himself. We are making some ground but I feel he is limited and would not last in the kind of workplace I know. People are not kind, get impatient and would not have tolerance.

I do talk about my fears and he is listening. He must be able to talk to his GP tomorow and give a full list of the problems he has

Thanks again

Children
No Data