newly diagnosed but feel like a fraud

I was diagnosed last week after my son being diagnosed earlier this year. I didn't think there was much wrong with him as he is very similar to the way I was when I was younger.

I also have been previously diagnosed with ocd in the past and had therapy for anxiety and depression.  this is where I feel like a fraud because in the  past I pushed for the ocd diagnosis and was also asking if I was bipolar and pushing for that too. When talking about getting autism diagnosis with my husband he said he thinks I am very suggestible - like I got the idea in my head that I was and pursued the diagnosis but I'm not really. Now I'm wondering if I exaggerated in my assessment to get diagnosed. I thought I was being honest at the time though.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I hate these forum things.

Parents
  • Hello fenton. We are trying to use the term ASD now. These are desired changes in the way that ASD is diagnosed and represented. I, for instance, am type 1 ASD, formerly known as Asperger Syndrome, or Asperger's, for short.

If your son feels that he would benefit from a diagnosis, his first stop would be his GP. He should talk about why he thinks he has ASD and be able to give some examples. Many people seem to find that getting a GP to refer them for assessment is the first, and largest, hurdle. If he isn't keen, you cannot force him, and nor can you persuade him that if he is ASD, he might find his life improved by knowing.

There are many aspects to ASD, and a diagnosis can only be carried out by a trained professional. This is because there are behaviours that are exagerated 'normal' behaviours for non-AS people, or are other conditions. Research is ongoing, some 'conditions' are recently recognised as being on the autism spectrum, so it's all still a moveable feast I'm afraid.

If your son doesn't feel that his behaviour or the things that happen to him are abnormal, he isn't going to see any point in pursuing this. Your 'fears' for him are not nearly enough, you need to be able to talk about why you have those fears.

• Hello fenton. We are trying to use the term ASD now. These are desired changes in the way that ASD is diagnosed and represented. I, for instance, am type 1 ASD, formerly known as Asperger Syndrome, or Asperger's, for short.

If your son feels that he would benefit from a diagnosis, his first stop would be his GP. He should talk about why he thinks he has ASD and be able to give some examples. Many people seem to find that getting a GP to refer them for assessment is the first, and largest, hurdle. If he isn't keen, you cannot force him, and nor can you persuade him that if he is ASD, he might find his life improved by knowing.

There are many aspects to ASD, and a diagnosis can only be carried out by a trained professional. This is because there are behaviours that are exagerated 'normal' behaviours for non-AS people, or are other conditions. Research is ongoing, some 'conditions' are recently recognised as being on the autism spectrum, so it's all still a moveable feast I'm afraid.

If your son doesn't feel that his behaviour or the things that happen to him are abnormal, he isn't going to see any point in pursuing this. Your 'fears' for him are not nearly enough, you need to be able to talk about why you have those fears.

Children
No Data