newly diagnosed but feel like a fraud

I was diagnosed last week after my son being diagnosed earlier this year. I didn't think there was much wrong with him as he is very similar to the way I was when I was younger.

I also have been previously diagnosed with ocd in the past and had therapy for anxiety and depression.  this is where I feel like a fraud because in the  past I pushed for the ocd diagnosis and was also asking if I was bipolar and pushing for that too. When talking about getting autism diagnosis with my husband he said he thinks I am very suggestible - like I got the idea in my head that I was and pursued the diagnosis but I'm not really. Now I'm wondering if I exaggerated in my assessment to get diagnosed. I thought I was being honest at the time though.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I hate these forum things.

Parents
  • heya, i feel like that some days too! i have been to many psycyatrists for a diagnosis with a personality disorder and now my daughter is undergoing many tests for asd. some days im 100% sure of behaviours, whilst on other days (what i call down days) i question things, is it just me? am i just a bad parent? etc etc.

all i can say (and its something i say to myself) with the amount of appointments we have both been going through, if it wasnt true then this would have certainly been picked up and something else would have been flagged. you know yourself and your children best and no one can tell you otherwise.

• heya, i feel like that some days too! i have been to many psycyatrists for a diagnosis with a personality disorder and now my daughter is undergoing many tests for asd. some days im 100% sure of behaviours, whilst on other days (what i call down days) i question things, is it just me? am i just a bad parent? etc etc.

all i can say (and its something i say to myself) with the amount of appointments we have both been going through, if it wasnt true then this would have certainly been picked up and something else would have been flagged. you know yourself and your children best and no one can tell you otherwise.

Children
No Data