newly diagnosed but feel like a fraud

I was diagnosed last week after my son being diagnosed earlier this year. I didn't think there was much wrong with him as he is very similar to the way I was when I was younger.

I also have been previously diagnosed with ocd in the past and had therapy for anxiety and depression.  this is where I feel like a fraud because in the  past I pushed for the ocd diagnosis and was also asking if I was bipolar and pushing for that too. When talking about getting autism diagnosis with my husband he said he thinks I am very suggestible - like I got the idea in my head that I was and pursued the diagnosis but I'm not really. Now I'm wondering if I exaggerated in my assessment to get diagnosed. I thought I was being honest at the time though.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I hate these forum things.

Parents
  • Hello and welcome,

It's important to understand that ASD is the condition, but under that umbrella many (but not all) other co-occuring conditions may be present. Those you have mentioned are those conditions. The diagram in the link below, although not comprehensive in my opinion, illustrates this.

www.google.co.uk/search

We are highly, suggestable, but i would concur with Classic. If your assessor has diagnosed you, he/she will have looked at the global picture and you should have some faith in their ability to assess.

Many have very poor experiences with assessment where some of those assessing use the male bias criteria of presentation, that typical males with ASD display and therefore dismiss the female presentation, which is completely different. These assessors, if dismissive of a patient who has gone to the trouble of asking for an assessment, can do a lot of damage. (The general consensis of a patient is that they don't like to waste the doctors time unecessarily) This also leads to many more women tan men being under or remaining undiagnosed. It's clear that your assessor is clued up and accordingly you have received a diagnosis.

Take some time to come to terms with your diagnosis, but also read up about the condition. The chances are that you are more susceptible to your husbands suggestions at this point, as he is probably the closest to you.

Even though my children had ASD and were diagnosed early; as incomprehensible as it sounds, I didn't see it in myself. The more I've learned, the more i've realised how Aspie I am.

Sadly, I was searching for years for the answer (singular) to why I didn't cope, but now I realise that the condition is not a single element of symptoms and presentations, but a whole array of them unique to me. Now suddenly, everything makes sense. I'm not just clumsey, socially awkward and anxcious separately, but wholey Aspie.

As a women of the spectrum, I reccommend you read Sarah Hendrickx and or watch a few of her you tube videos. Links below.

www.youtube.com/watch

When you have had time to comprehend the diagnosis, the thing to look toward is happiness and well-being.

www.youtube.com/watch

Also read cynthia Kim (Nerdy, shy and socially inappropriate.) and look at 'Musings of an Aspie.'

musingsofanaspie.com/.../

I hope my ramblings make sense and wish you all the best on your journey.

C.x

• Hello and welcome,

It's important to understand that ASD is the condition, but under that umbrella many (but not all) other co-occuring conditions may be present. Those you have mentioned are those conditions. The diagram in the link below, although not comprehensive in my opinion, illustrates this.

www.google.co.uk/search

We are highly, suggestable, but i would concur with Classic. If your assessor has diagnosed you, he/she will have looked at the global picture and you should have some faith in their ability to assess.

Many have very poor experiences with assessment where some of those assessing use the male bias criteria of presentation, that typical males with ASD display and therefore dismiss the female presentation, which is completely different. These assessors, if dismissive of a patient who has gone to the trouble of asking for an assessment, can do a lot of damage. (The general consensis of a patient is that they don't like to waste the doctors time unecessarily) This also leads to many more women tan men being under or remaining undiagnosed. It's clear that your assessor is clued up and accordingly you have received a diagnosis.

Take some time to come to terms with your diagnosis, but also read up about the condition. The chances are that you are more susceptible to your husbands suggestions at this point, as he is probably the closest to you.

Even though my children had ASD and were diagnosed early; as incomprehensible as it sounds, I didn't see it in myself. The more I've learned, the more i've realised how Aspie I am.

Sadly, I was searching for years for the answer (singular) to why I didn't cope, but now I realise that the condition is not a single element of symptoms and presentations, but a whole array of them unique to me. Now suddenly, everything makes sense. I'm not just clumsey, socially awkward and anxcious separately, but wholey Aspie.

As a women of the spectrum, I reccommend you read Sarah Hendrickx and or watch a few of her you tube videos. Links below.

www.youtube.com/watch

When you have had time to comprehend the diagnosis, the thing to look toward is happiness and well-being.

www.youtube.com/watch

Also read cynthia Kim (Nerdy, shy and socially inappropriate.) and look at 'Musings of an Aspie.'

musingsofanaspie.com/.../

I hope my ramblings make sense and wish you all the best on your journey.

C.x

Children
No Data