newly diagnosed but feel like a fraud

I was diagnosed last week after my son being diagnosed earlier this year. I didn't think there was much wrong with him as he is very similar to the way I was when I was younger.

I also have been previously diagnosed with ocd in the past and had therapy for anxiety and depression.  this is where I feel like a fraud because in the  past I pushed for the ocd diagnosis and was also asking if I was bipolar and pushing for that too. When talking about getting autism diagnosis with my husband he said he thinks I am very suggestible - like I got the idea in my head that I was and pursued the diagnosis but I'm not really. Now I'm wondering if I exaggerated in my assessment to get diagnosed. I thought I was being honest at the time though.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I hate these forum things.

Parents
  • classic codger said:
    I'm surprised you can't find it on a search engine, I use the guaranteed-to-be-private Ixquick because Google spy on people and collect personal data without permission.

Searching Google for the phrase "type 1 ASD" has one of your recent posts here as the second result.  There are only three pages of results (when I go through them, and without including omitted results), and your post is the only one that uses the term "type 1 ASD" in the way you do.  The very few other results involving autism mean different things by "type 1".

Including omitted results, posts of yours here are the second and third results.  There are only five pages of results, and your posts are the only ones using the term "type 1 ASD" in your way.

[quote]It is an attempt to bring both diagnosis and spectrum disorders under a single term, that of ASD under the new diagnostic guidelines of DSM-5. Try this:-

www.sciencedaily.com/.../quote]

That didn't really help, since it doesn't say anything about the way you're using the word "type".

However, searching Google for the phrase "type 1 autism" did bring a result that led, in turn, to something about three levels of severity in DSM-5, with level one being the least severe and level three the most severe.  Searching Google for the phrase "level 1 ASD" seems a lot more successful, and seems to be what you mean by "type 1 ASD".

Is "level 1 ASD" what you mean?

• classic codger said:
    I'm surprised you can't find it on a search engine, I use the guaranteed-to-be-private Ixquick because Google spy on people and collect personal data without permission.

Searching Google for the phrase "type 1 ASD" has one of your recent posts here as the second result.  There are only three pages of results (when I go through them, and without including omitted results), and your post is the only one that uses the term "type 1 ASD" in the way you do.  The very few other results involving autism mean different things by "type 1".

Including omitted results, posts of yours here are the second and third results.  There are only five pages of results, and your posts are the only ones using the term "type 1 ASD" in your way.

[quote]It is an attempt to bring both diagnosis and spectrum disorders under a single term, that of ASD under the new diagnostic guidelines of DSM-5. Try this:-

www.sciencedaily.com/.../quote]

That didn't really help, since it doesn't say anything about the way you're using the word "type".

However, searching Google for the phrase "type 1 autism" did bring a result that led, in turn, to something about three levels of severity in DSM-5, with level one being the least severe and level three the most severe.  Searching Google for the phrase "level 1 ASD" seems a lot more successful, and seems to be what you mean by "type 1 ASD".

Is "level 1 ASD" what you mean?

Children
No Data