Exhausted all the time

Hi, does anyone else experience exhaustion all the time?

I've been like this for the last few years. I don't sleep well, but it feels more like it's where things in my life get on top of me and makes me even more exhausted. If something stressful happens I'm so tired after I need to have a nap. And lately driving home from work has been an increasing concern because of how tired I feel, I don't want to fall asleep at the wheel and crash.

Do you have any tips for this? I feel like this is an asd thing more than anything. I've tried being more relaxed but I'm anxious most of the time so it's a struggle. I'm open to any suggestions you might have to help Slight smile

• Yes - I feel so tired all of the time - I think it's because of autism burnout - the constant masking is just so exhausting.

• I mentioned this on another thread, but St John's Wort for a couple of days might be enough to take the edge off things.  Just don't take with anti-depressants, especially SSRIs. I use them to rebalance myself when I get really out of whack.  They won't cure exhaustion and burnout.

As for sleep, i have weird sleep patterns so won't comment. Slight smile

Maybe hit a gym in the evening and run for 30 mins or swim.  Something that is enjoyable but also tires you out completely.  Then you might sleep longer and better.

• Sorry, I just read that melatonin in the uk is a prescription only medicine. I live in canada and I just found it readily available on the store shelves at the pharmacy, so it can be purchased over the counter here, and I didn't think it would be different in the uk.

I think that yes, it's similar to kalms which is made from valerian root and used as a sleep aid.

• I feel exhaused all the time too, have done for years, mainly mentally exhausted that is. I could sleep for ever, 12 hrs+ easily, sleep is my escape there is nobody to hassle me, or expect things of me in my sleep.  I think much of my issue is also with my bad diet as I hate pretty much all healthy foods. What is your diet like?

• I second this. A multi can't hurt (I take one daily) and for D, I use a mushroom complex a few times a week which also helps with focus. 

However, my experience was this: I'd had unknown allergies half my life. by 18 I couldn't get enough sleep! I was put on a diet that was nearly gluten free. But still had issues till 27 when I went off gluten entirely and I had more energy. But sugars don't help, so I mind that. Anything which creates added inflammation will wear me down. 

• I was looking into this but I wasn't sure what to get or if its even sold in the uk. Are they like Kalms?

•  For me it's not really been anxiety about covid or catching it. More so the extra demands added back onto life. I think the little things like walking into an office of people every day for example,  contribute to the drip drip effect. I don't have this at work but similar things.

That's good you have got a walking routine.

I am finding meditation and mindfulness helps. It creates a bit of space in my brain. Yoga nidra is also good. Like a body scan and you're kind of awake and asleep at the same time.

• I use melatonin to fall asleep sometimes Melatonin is a neurochemical that's naturally produced by the body, and it makes you have that sleepy or drowsy feeling before you fall asleep.

They sell melatonin at the pharmacy for very cheap. I use the smallest amount I could find, which is 1mg, and I always feel well rested the next day. 

• T your in burnout and your fighting it which is going to make the recovery so much longer. 

Their has been a study that suggest individuals on the spectrum may struggle to absorb nutrients due to stress, diet and bowel problems like IBS. Have you thought about taking some supplement like B12 and Riboflavin and vitamin D to combat the fatigue. It’s worth a try. 

• I agree regarding the change since lockdowns were lifted. When we had the first one I started walking daily and began a garden project. Some of my anxiety from before that lifted. However as people started mixing more and the constant changes it has become more challenging. 

I have found myself feeling exhausted for the last few months particularly as Covid is still around but many people don't seem bothered about precautions now  I do find things improve a bit and it helps if the sun is shining and I can walk.

I stopped driving because I felt I was no longer safe. I was able to walk to work, but now I work from home which reduces the stress as I don't have to walk into a room and find somewhere to sit or go past lots of people to get coffee. When I feel overwhelmed when working I can take time out privately. I only need to make contact with colleagues then if I choose to.

Yesterday was really hard not being able to get a walk. Fortunately I was able to make up for it by going for a longer walk today before the rain.

• Go to the doctors as there might be an underlying physical cause. I do feel AS gives me a general base layer of tiredness though. I found this information on sleep on this website. I'm not sure how credible it is but the articles have references etc embrace-autism.com/.../ it's also got other useful information on there too.

I find since lockdown ended things have gone back to how they were before. I cannot keep up with normal days, feel there's too much to remember to do in a day or week and just generally feel exhausted. There's more people time and more expectation to keep up.

I think chipping away at things is the best approach rather than suddenly making drastic changes in your life. I feel this has worked well for me as by introducing small steps it's easier to stick to it. Then build up from there. I'm talking in terms of exercise,  eating, lifestyle, relaxation etc 

• I find myself tired most days but then I don't get much sleep. Usually manage 6 hours but then in the morning I'm still shattered which makes no sense. 

• My sleep, most nights, is over twelve hours long. However, last night I slept seven; from eleven to six. 

• Not just you. I find myself tired n lacking motivation all the time, been like this for a few years. Not sure if I'm burned out or over whelmed? Just feeling flat out all the time. No energy, no drive n no motivation.

I don't no what to suggest for you as it's a problem for me as well but I see others have had good suggestions so hopefully those will help Purple heartHeart I'm going to try yoga and being more physically active HeartHeartGreen heartGreen heartBlue heartBlue heart

• It's not just you. I'm always exhausted, have trouble concentrating and motivating myself to do things. I've been like this for a year or more now. Not sure if I'm burned out or whether this new normal is actually not as good for me as I'd assumed it would be (been working from home for nearly 2 years now). I'm trying to make sure I have time for hobbies and enjoyment as it's been all work and study for quite a while which doesn't help. Let me know if you find anything that works for you, I'm willing to give anything a try at the moment!

• Hi T.

Sorry you're feeling so tired. And it's usually, on top of or because of "everything else."

I see Humans as the plate spinners in the circus of life. Most Humans maintain their manageable number of plates of interest, spinning on poles with ease, dazzling their audience to applause. Whilst I crunch in my forest of poles, screaming from plate to wobbly hysterical plate. It's exhausting. I know deep down I can't keep all those plates, so I Try2 take more care of the ones I can. Especially that Crystal plate in the middle. Sensory hyperactivity isSunglassesa defensive weapon, use it wisely.

Beyond this, it could be a physical prob or chemical deficiency? Something to flag.

Keep talking about it until you don't feel it any more. 

• Thank you I will do Slight smile 

• Feel free to let me know how you are doing Slight smile

• Thanks they're a big help! I will give them all a try and see what works best for me. Physical exercise is a tough one, especially when I have the car so I don't have to walk lmao Joy

Yes that's right. I think understanding and managing is really important but for me those are hard to do. I find myself more time wishing it would go away. 

• I hope some of that helps. However, they are not magic solutions, and the ones that I find help the most (physical exercise) are the ones that are the most difficult to get to do.

Ultimately I think it is important to understand that this is something that is part of our life, and we need to be kind to ourselves, accept it and manage it to the best of our abilities, rather than trying to get rid of it.

That's the stage where I am at, at least Sweat smile