Autism and periods

Hi! 

I hope it is ok to make this a discussion point. I am pretty new to this forum but I thought this was a pretty important topic! 

I wondered if anyone else with Autism especially struggles with pre period and during their period and what you do to survive it?  

I personally find that during my pre period and period (especially the pre-period is hell) - my sensory overload occurs much more frequently, especially to light (I always struggle with sound but light particularly becomes problematic on period), it triggers me a lot more easily during this time. I also find that being in pain, means I have absolutely no means of focusing on anything other than the fact I am in pain. I also have a lot less capability to handle emotions and I just need to cry over and over during the whole thing. Although these are things I struggle with all the time, I just find that it is even more difficult depending on where I am in my cycle. I feel almost like a werewolf actually, its as if my pre period is me in werewolf mode and I lose a lot of control of my emotions, does anyone relate to that? 

I was curious to hear other people's experiences. I also wanted to know if anyone found anything that helps in relation to Autism and periods? I have tried to be more physically active with exercise which has helped, but I just wondered what others with a similar thing have done to help survive? It seems impossible to manage it, especially as it comes monthly!

Thanks, Al Slight smile

• woah, very true Pixiefox! I never thought of it like that before but makes a lot of sense! Thank you for sharing that perspective as I haven't thought of it before and I like to think about a new way of looking at it :) 

• Hi Swiftie14,

Apologies for not replying sooner, haven't logged on for about a week!

Awww, thank you as well for your message, we are not alone <3! That's a wonderful phrase, I will write that down Slight smile

I think it's a really important topic (Autism and Periods) and I feel it was a major reason I couldn't figure out my Autism sooner, and I am sure there are many more people like ourselves too who relate to this. 

Thanks again and I hope you are well! 

Al

• Mine were breathe of fresh air and a break from hormonal drives. I felt a lot calmer during the progesterone cycles.

• Yeah, actually people think periods are natural, but they would have been fairly rare in our species originally, as women spent most of their reproductive years either pregnant or breastfeeding. And if there was a lack of food, periods would not happen as there is no point in someone getting pregnant if they are under-nourished themselves, because the chances of healthy offspring are low.

Nature gives our bodies hormones to control periods, but we can now use hormones to release us from the pain of periods if we wish, however it is of course a personal decision.

• I stopped mine with norethisterone (period delay pills) for 3.5 years, with no side effects. I've stopped taking it as I'm now on testosterone which does the same job. There is absolutely no reason in this day and age that anyone should ever put up with having a period. They don't benefit your health in any way.

• Hi Al,

your post made me realized what had happened to me. Doctors didn't understand why i was such in pain but still do not show signs of any illness. I've started with the pill in order to reduce the pain.

I was diagnosed with Asperger a few month ago, taking the pill at least for 6 years and now i found the reason.

Thanks you Al.

We are not alone <3

• I find it really difficult. I don't tend to have meltdowns instead I tend to have shutdowns. I find stimimng with my hands help and using my loop 3 in 1 earbuds and my tangle fidget. What I really love to do is take the opportunity to watch Disney movies ,because I am very sensitive and like watching animated movies that I get great nostalgia from.

• Yes I relate a lot- I can’t cope with having periods to be honest, I’ve been on the pill for years. I know it’s not particularly ideal for the developing brain/body but it’s the only way I can cope as I can’t deal with the irregularity and emotions around it. The ‘mini pill’ (so just one hormone) can be easier to deal with if you didn’t like the combined pill. 

I also found reusable pads were the best option as they have less smell & are a more ‘normal’ texture. If your pain is really bad it may be worth looking into whether it could be endometriosis. 

• A Mireana coil could be an option, they do them for women who have had children and those who've not, I tried it but it came loose probably because I no longer had enough cervix left to hold it in place after a couple of cauteries, but a couple of friends did and went from overwhelmingly heavy periods with a lot of pain to either a panty liner or a normal tampon.

Another thing you could try is Weleda Arnica Massage Oil with lavender and rosemary, the arnica will take down the swollen tissues and the lavender and rosemary will help soothe your aching muscles and tissues. You can get that from holland and barrats or online and is completely natural and is ok to use with things like paracetamol.

• Hi! :) Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it and thank you for your kind words and empathy. Interesting to hear your view on the pill, I used to be on it and came off because I felt my emotions were worse than usual, it was when I was a lot younger. I was thinking of looking into it again, but I do feel there was a reason I went off before. I haven't tried an osteopath but I am curious to try it actually. I am glad this worked for you. I am curious whether it could be related as my hips and pelvis are often in pain sometimes. Thank you, as I really wouldn't have considered it might be related so I will look into this. And thank you for the tea suggestions, I will definitely give it a go, as I love herbal and green tea. I hope you are well and thanks again Slight smile

• Hi Pixiefox, thank you for your reply :) I agree, it is a bit of a trial and error process till you find whats right for yourself, which is difficult whilst finding it but a big relief once you find the thing that works for you. Interesting to hear about depo provera progesterone, I am glad this worked for you. I have been considering whether stopping the period would be the best solution, as I had been on the pill previously and went off because I felt emotionally I was more down, but it was when I was much younger. Thanks again for your words and I hopefully can find a solution soon! 

• Hi! Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it, I think you are right. I might look into the pill again, I did used to be on the pill when I was younger and it was good to know at least when it was coming, so I will have a look into it, thanks again and I hope you are ok and well. 

• Hi! I think you are completely right, I might try to get more comfortable loose-fitting clothing, I think this would definitely help, thank you :)

• Thank you for your reply! I am sorry you are struggling with periods as well, it is really difficult. I am glad the pill worked for you. I have tried the pill when I was younger, but I might give it another go, as it definitely is good knowing when they will happen. I have a baby yoda hot water bottle actually and it does help you are right! Also because its baby yoda makes me happy to look at it haha. Period pants definitely sound like a good idea actually, I will look into that. Thank you for messaging, I really appreciate it and I hope you are okay :)

• I hugely struggle with my periods, and always have. A few years ago I was quickly approaching the clinical definition of PMDD (too many complicating factors to put it purely down to that) and was put on the pill. For me this helps a lot. I have half as many periods and I know exactly when they will happen, and they are less bad as the hormones are more regulated.

In terms of the sensory side of things, I have period pants and reusable pads and they're much more sensorily okay for me. Hot water bottles are amazing for the pain, and sometimes you just accept that you are not going to get something done that day.

• For those not able to meditate their tooth ache away, it's hydrogen peroxide for the win. 

There's a colgate product called peroxyl (IIRC I'll edit tomorrow if I am wrong) that seems to work, with repeated applications, in that scenario.

• I can't speak from personal experience but for dealing with chronic pain I have experience through others who have used meditation as a way to be able to block out the sensory part of it to a great degress.

Not really practical if you are trying to live a normal, active life but if you are reduced to a shivering ball on the sofa then it may be a workable approach to dissociate from the sensory input and be able to function for a while.

I was able to use it when I had an abcess in a tooth when travelling around Indonesia and a dentist was days away - the pain was stopping me from being able to concentrate on anything and was driving me mad until I tried the technique I learned decades ago.

As a temporary measure it may help but I think medical approaches are more likely to have a premanent effect.

An ex of mine found that going on the birth control pill made a massive improvement for her including reducing the amount and duration of her periods. There are associated risks of course but possibly worth adding to the list to consider.

I hope you find a workable solution.

• Hi, like Catwoman I'm also post menopausal but I struggled for years with pain too. I was different in my hormonal balance though, as for me it seemed it was oestrogen that was the problem (it also raised my blood pressure) So the answer for me was the depo provera progesterone only injection - which stopped my periods and all the pain and PMS.

It's often a bit of trial and error to find out what works for you. 

• I'm so glad I'm post menopausal, I suffered similarly to you. Do you have a sympathetic GP? Because it's recently been rcognised that some women suffer premenstrally much worse than others. I found hormonal treatments like the pill totally unhelpful, they made me worse. I always had sore boobs premenstrally, and then I found out that sore boobs are linked to a sensitivity to progesterone, including my own, so all the hormonal treatments were actually making it worse, not better.

This is a bit off the wall, but have you seen an osteopath? I went to one because I'd hurt my back and after he'd worked on my hips and pelvis, my period pain practically disapeared.

If you want to go down the natural route then I'd suggest a medical herbalist or traditional accupunture, in the mean time try chamomile tea as a calmative and fennel tea for cramps and nausea, they're both available from supermarkets for about a pound.

I'm sorry I can't suggest more to help you, as I really empathise with you.