Autism and periods

Hi! 

I hope it is ok to make this a discussion point. I am pretty new to this forum but I thought this was a pretty important topic! 

I wondered if anyone else with Autism especially struggles with pre period and during their period and what you do to survive it?  

I personally find that during my pre period and period (especially the pre-period is hell) - my sensory overload occurs much more frequently, especially to light (I always struggle with sound but light particularly becomes problematic on period), it triggers me a lot more easily during this time. I also find that being in pain, means I have absolutely no means of focusing on anything other than the fact I am in pain. I also have a lot less capability to handle emotions and I just need to cry over and over during the whole thing. Although these are things I struggle with all the time, I just find that it is even more difficult depending on where I am in my cycle. I feel almost like a werewolf actually, its as if my pre period is me in werewolf mode and I lose a lot of control of my emotions, does anyone relate to that? 

I was curious to hear other people's experiences. I also wanted to know if anyone found anything that helps in relation to Autism and periods? I have tried to be more physically active with exercise which has helped, but I just wondered what others with a similar thing have done to help survive? It seems impossible to manage it, especially as it comes monthly!

Thanks, Al Slight smile

Parents
  • I find it really difficult. I don't tend to have meltdowns instead I tend to have shutdowns. I find stimimng with my hands help and using my loop 3 in 1 earbuds and my tangle fidget. What I really love to do is take the opportunity to watch Disney movies ,because I am very sensitive and like watching animated movies that I get great nostalgia from.

• I find it really difficult. I don't tend to have meltdowns instead I tend to have shutdowns. I find stimimng with my hands help and using my loop 3 in 1 earbuds and my tangle fidget. What I really love to do is take the opportunity to watch Disney movies ,because I am very sensitive and like watching animated movies that I get great nostalgia from.

Children
No Data