Autism and periods

Hi! 

I hope it is ok to make this a discussion point. I am pretty new to this forum but I thought this was a pretty important topic! 

I wondered if anyone else with Autism especially struggles with pre period and during their period and what you do to survive it?  

I personally find that during my pre period and period (especially the pre-period is hell) - my sensory overload occurs much more frequently, especially to light (I always struggle with sound but light particularly becomes problematic on period), it triggers me a lot more easily during this time. I also find that being in pain, means I have absolutely no means of focusing on anything other than the fact I am in pain. I also have a lot less capability to handle emotions and I just need to cry over and over during the whole thing. Although these are things I struggle with all the time, I just find that it is even more difficult depending on where I am in my cycle. I feel almost like a werewolf actually, its as if my pre period is me in werewolf mode and I lose a lot of control of my emotions, does anyone relate to that? 

I was curious to hear other people's experiences. I also wanted to know if anyone found anything that helps in relation to Autism and periods? I have tried to be more physically active with exercise which has helped, but I just wondered what others with a similar thing have done to help survive? It seems impossible to manage it, especially as it comes monthly!

Thanks, Al Slight smile

Parents
  • I can't speak from personal experience but for dealing with chronic pain I have experience through others who have used meditation as a way to be able to block out the sensory part of it to a great degress.

Not really practical if you are trying to live a normal, active life but if you are reduced to a shivering ball on the sofa then it may be a workable approach to dissociate from the sensory input and be able to function for a while.

I was able to use it when I had an abcess in a tooth when travelling around Indonesia and a dentist was days away - the pain was stopping me from being able to concentrate on anything and was driving me mad until I tried the technique I learned decades ago.

As a temporary measure it may help but I think medical approaches are more likely to have a premanent effect.

An ex of mine found that going on the birth control pill made a massive improvement for her including reducing the amount and duration of her periods. There are associated risks of course but possibly worth adding to the list to consider.

I hope you find a workable solution.

• For those not able to meditate their tooth ache away, it's hydrogen peroxide for the win. 

There's a colgate product called peroxyl (IIRC I'll edit tomorrow if I am wrong) that seems to work, with repeated applications, in that scenario.

• For those not able to meditate their tooth ache away, it's hydrogen peroxide for the win. 

There's a colgate product called peroxyl (IIRC I'll edit tomorrow if I am wrong) that seems to work, with repeated applications, in that scenario.

Children
No Data