Autism and periods

Hi! 

I hope it is ok to make this a discussion point. I am pretty new to this forum but I thought this was a pretty important topic! 

I wondered if anyone else with Autism especially struggles with pre period and during their period and what you do to survive it?  

I personally find that during my pre period and period (especially the pre-period is hell) - my sensory overload occurs much more frequently, especially to light (I always struggle with sound but light particularly becomes problematic on period), it triggers me a lot more easily during this time. I also find that being in pain, means I have absolutely no means of focusing on anything other than the fact I am in pain. I also have a lot less capability to handle emotions and I just need to cry over and over during the whole thing. Although these are things I struggle with all the time, I just find that it is even more difficult depending on where I am in my cycle. I feel almost like a werewolf actually, its as if my pre period is me in werewolf mode and I lose a lot of control of my emotions, does anyone relate to that? 

I was curious to hear other people's experiences. I also wanted to know if anyone found anything that helps in relation to Autism and periods? I have tried to be more physically active with exercise which has helped, but I just wondered what others with a similar thing have done to help survive? It seems impossible to manage it, especially as it comes monthly!

Thanks, Al Slight smile

Parents
  • I hugely struggle with my periods, and always have. A few years ago I was quickly approaching the clinical definition of PMDD (too many complicating factors to put it purely down to that) and was put on the pill. For me this helps a lot. I have half as many periods and I know exactly when they will happen, and they are less bad as the hormones are more regulated.

In terms of the sensory side of things, I have period pants and reusable pads and they're much more sensorily okay for me. Hot water bottles are amazing for the pain, and sometimes you just accept that you are not going to get something done that day.

• Thank you for your reply! I am sorry you are struggling with periods as well, it is really difficult. I am glad the pill worked for you. I have tried the pill when I was younger, but I might give it another go, as it definitely is good knowing when they will happen. I have a baby yoda hot water bottle actually and it does help you are right! Also because its baby yoda makes me happy to look at it haha. Period pants definitely sound like a good idea actually, I will look into that. Thank you for messaging, I really appreciate it and I hope you are okay :)

• Thank you for your reply! I am sorry you are struggling with periods as well, it is really difficult. I am glad the pill worked for you. I have tried the pill when I was younger, but I might give it another go, as it definitely is good knowing when they will happen. I have a baby yoda hot water bottle actually and it does help you are right! Also because its baby yoda makes me happy to look at it haha. Period pants definitely sound like a good idea actually, I will look into that. Thank you for messaging, I really appreciate it and I hope you are okay :)

Children
No Data