Autism and periods

Hi! 

I hope it is ok to make this a discussion point. I am pretty new to this forum but I thought this was a pretty important topic! 

I wondered if anyone else with Autism especially struggles with pre period and during their period and what you do to survive it?  

I personally find that during my pre period and period (especially the pre-period is hell) - my sensory overload occurs much more frequently, especially to light (I always struggle with sound but light particularly becomes problematic on period), it triggers me a lot more easily during this time. I also find that being in pain, means I have absolutely no means of focusing on anything other than the fact I am in pain. I also have a lot less capability to handle emotions and I just need to cry over and over during the whole thing. Although these are things I struggle with all the time, I just find that it is even more difficult depending on where I am in my cycle. I feel almost like a werewolf actually, its as if my pre period is me in werewolf mode and I lose a lot of control of my emotions, does anyone relate to that? 

I was curious to hear other people's experiences. I also wanted to know if anyone found anything that helps in relation to Autism and periods? I have tried to be more physically active with exercise which has helped, but I just wondered what others with a similar thing have done to help survive? It seems impossible to manage it, especially as it comes monthly!

Thanks, Al Slight smile

Parents
  • I stopped mine with norethisterone (period delay pills) for 3.5 years, with no side effects. I've stopped taking it as I'm now on testosterone which does the same job. There is absolutely no reason in this day and age that anyone should ever put up with having a period. They don't benefit your health in any way.

• I stopped mine with norethisterone (period delay pills) for 3.5 years, with no side effects. I've stopped taking it as I'm now on testosterone which does the same job. There is absolutely no reason in this day and age that anyone should ever put up with having a period. They don't benefit your health in any way.

Children
  • Yeah, actually people think periods are natural, but they would have been fairly rare in our species originally, as women spent most of their reproductive years either pregnant or breastfeeding. And if there was a lack of food, periods would not happen as there is no point in someone getting pregnant if they are under-nourished themselves, because the chances of healthy offspring are low.

Nature gives our bodies hormones to control periods, but we can now use hormones to release us from the pain of periods if we wish, however it is of course a personal decision.