cannabis oil

Our 3 year old boy is in the final process of officially being diagnosed, and we are probably like many  other families , in that we are always online desperately looking for help/ advice  that  may  help our boy, we have come  across articles on cannabis oil  ( albeit mainly on  American sites ) has any one got any views on this? Is it legal here ,does it help, has anyone any experience of it ? 

• God, first of all, I wish your little one a speedy recovery

• Hi,

Here is the 3% CBD oil I buy for my son (made out of isolate so no other cannabinoids in it).

https://let-magic-happen-cbd.com/collections/cbd-oils/products/plant-of-remedy-cbd-oil-3-10ml-1

• Do you do a good range of SPAM too?

• Medical cannabis oil for children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) appears to be a well-tolerated, safe and effective option to relieve symptoms including seizures, tics, depression, restlessness and rage attacks, according to a new study by Israeli researchers from Ben-Gurion University (BGU) of the Negev and Soroka University Medical Center.

The findings, published in the journal Scientific Reports, also show that cannabis treatment can significantly improve sleep and concentration.

“Overall, more than 80 percent of the parents reported significant or moderate improvement in their child,” said Lihi Bar-Lev Schleider of the BGU-Soroka Clinical Cannabis Research Institute.

psychcentral.com/.../142541.html

• I know this was a few days ago but here is the holland and Barratt link 

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/vitamins-supplements/homeopathic-flower-remedies/cbd/

My partner uses the 5% we were looking at the lower strength one for our daughter but haven't tried it 

• I've recently started my ten year old on DHA from a Nordic company. It's totally pure fish oil and the gummies taste ok. She loves them.

I've found within the last few days she is more relaxed.  

Cannot comment on cannabis oil. I did watch that documentary lSteph and Dom last  week and it looks like it possibly could help..which would be a welcome relief to many.

Hopefully it will be easier for parents to access soon through the correct channels. The young man that went from having a day full of seazures to hardly any..well that just must be amazing for him and his family.

Would it be classed as homeopathic...?

I find takeing probiotics cures most things and keeping the body alkaline. I'm not autistic..lm always open to looking at ways that could help my lovely daughter though.

Have a positive..and hopefully not too snowey Saturday.x

• Hi NAS!

Which H&Barrett oil did you use with your son please?

• Yes it works for my son.. 

My son is 20years old, he has autism severe learning disabilities, ocd sensory processing disorder.

He was not sleeping good at all awake three nights then the meltdowns cause of lack of sleep, he would trash the house broke the telly punch his head sad to see.

Always talked to him to bring him out of it.

This CBD oil i read up about it, and its the oils from the plant it self.

Bought in Holland and Barrett in wales Aberdare. 

My son now sleeps all night and when he goes out into the world that is so confusing to him and stressful,

To much overload sometimes.

Hes calm and its so nice to see him like this.

Some tablets from the doctors can have terrible side effect,

This oil is Not addictive and no side effect so pleased i give my son this CBD oil... 

• I think everyone needs to eat healthy and stay well away from any processed food, snacks and even drinks and throw your microwaves in the bin. Microwaves are banned in some countries !

If it dont walk on the ground or fly over it or come out of it, dont eat it simple. 

Years and years of abuse to our bodies with man made crap is taking its toll on our bodies, we get to age and become parents, the offspring have genetic mutations such as asd then we wonder why. We caused it without knowing ! It is very important what we eat ! 

We were not to know but we know now, it will take a generation of good children, bought up on good natural food and taught this, for their children to be born mutation free and then so on. 

Eat good, eat natural...you will live longer and have healthier children 

• I think everyone needs to eat healthy and stay well away from any processed food, snacks and even drinks and throw your microwaves in the bin. Microwaves are banned in some countries !

If it dont walk on the ground or fly over it or come out of it, dont eat it simple. 

Years and years of abuse to our bodies with man made crap is taking its toll on our bodies, we get to age and become parents, the offspring have genetic mutations such as asd then we wonder why. We caused it without knowing ! It is very important what we eat ! 

We were not to know but we know now, it will take a generation of good children, bought up on good natural food and taught this, for their children to be born mutation free and then so on. 

• I think contributors have strong views on this issue and this is a area which has gained much attention in recent times. NICE have limited any pharmacological interventions for Autism unless it is to address Challenging Behaviour. In these circumstances, Atypcial Antipsychotics under supervision are recommended when other interventions fail. Antipsychotics come with a number of undesirable side effects which make sustaining this treatment problematic. 

Depression and Anxeity is commonly Comorbid with Autism and to support these issues, a mixture of anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medications are prescribed. Again, these do have side effects and may not be useful for everyone. Autism specific support is patchy and many adults do not have access to Autism CBT or targeted, relevant mental health support.

I understand that the debate around Cannibis Oil is to do with the compound which is less harmful and more therapeutic. There have been prescribtions for chronic long term pain and recently in the news, for rare forms for epilepsy. It is envitable that this will feature as a possible licenced medicine at some point and it could benefit those on the spectrum in respect to anxiety and other issues. My caution is to ensure that relevant trails and ethics surrounds all medical interventions and we may need more information before this can be used more widely. I also think we need to address the poor support services across the nation for autism to ensure that the right solution is available to each person and pharmaceutical solutions are not the first and only option.

• My own experience of cbd oil is a good one, have been using it for over a year now and my life is 10x better with it than without it stops the constant overthinking of everything in my mind, I sleep better, I go out of the house more. cbd is harmless and has no psychoactive effect no bad side effects like you get from pharmaceuticals.

cannabis is harmless its just a plant what has been used buy humans as medicine for millennia the time frame it has been illegal for in comparison to its use by the human race is nothing (1971 it was made illegal for medical use) alcohol is 114 times more harmful to health than cannabis yet its accepted     

• It's because I went looking for scientific evidence that it's 'safe and effective' for anything related to autism (using PubMed), and don't see much beyond one trial that hasn't reported yet.

Here's five pages of article links from Science Daily:

Autism and Cannabidiol

https://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?keyword=Autism+and+cannabidiol+#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Autism%20and%20cannabidiol%20&gsc.page=1

• People who are calling CBD a drug are uneducated

From the Oxford dictionary (or any other):

Drug (noun): 1a) A medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

I sympathise with the situation that you find yourself in, but the quote above and your sweeping accusation of "narrow-mindedness" can be read as personal attacks just the same as those of people that you (quite rightly) would criticise for jumping down the throats of struggling parents. Only one response that I can see is an outright moral condemnation, most others are simply expressing a personal opinion about CBD, adding to the sources of information to be considered, or advising a cautious approach (perfectly reasonable, whatever the treatment might be.) It is a controversial subject and there's a lot of misinformation about it on both sides, so disagreement is to be expected.

You should bear in mind also that many comments are from autistic adults (what your boy is going to grow up to be). Our use of language can, at times, seem emotionally distant or extremely blunt without us intending to be hurtful; do be careful that you are not reading attacks between the lines where none were intended. People are not being "narrow-minded" just because they don't agree with a particular opinion or would prefer better scientific evidence before making up their minds, and your experience as a struggling parent makes you no more an expert on pharmacology, or even autism, than anyone else here (you could be an expert for other reasons which we don't yet know, of course!)

For the record, my own opinion is that there is more than enough anecdotal evidence that the CBD component of cannabis can be beneficial that it should be researched much more than it is, and that it is very unfortunate that the "war on drugs" has prevented this for so many years. The ethics of using children as "guinea pigs" for medical trials unavoidably complicate things further. The main reason to be cautious, in my opinion, is that autism is extremely variable in how it shows itself, and may have more than one different cause, so good effects for one autistic person (even me) don't necessarily mean that others won't experience bad effects, or none at all. I have no moral objection to anyone trying it where other techniques have failed, but I feel that this should be done extremely carefully, preferably under observation of a sympathetic doctor who has a good understanding of autism (though, sadly, finding such a doctor is rather unlikely.)

Others will no doubt disagree with me, and that's fine, but it is an informed opinion, not because I am "uneducated" (I've never taken prescription drugs either without first doing some research into them, and have had to correct my GP on more than one occasion.)

Parents have to make difficult choices about their child's safety every day; what to feed them, which roads to let them cross alone, stranger danger etc.; I do think that people often over-react when parents mention the possibility of medication or "alternative therapies" to help with their child's autistic behaviours. But equally, when others of us say "hang on a minute, are you sure about this?", parents should ask whether we are really aiming to criticise their parenting, or are simply trying to show some compassion for their child, even if it is misplaced or badly put across. It is only natural that many autistic adults find it easier to identify with the autistic child (as we once were) than with the child's parents.

We should all be supporting eachother guys not undermining eachother. 

I couldn't agree more, but "support" is not the same thing as unconditional agreement; we should be able to resolve our differences without accusations of wilful ignorance or stupidity. There is ample evidence on this site that autistic adults are able, and more than willing, to help parents with some of the difficulties that arise from their child's autism. Long may that continue.

• People who are calling CBD a drug are uneducated and need to read up on what it actually is. I bet half of the people criticising people of poor parenting are not dealing with a severely autistic child who is non verbal and melting down more times than you can remember. I work full time and and a single parent and I don’t have the time to sit with my boy every minute of the day to help him i get as much professional  help as I can for him and I apply myself every day trying to make his life easier. So if someone turns round and criticises my efforts DON’T YOU DARE! Pattym I thought it was a good question but it sounds like asking on here is clearly going to bring a lot of narrow minded responses. We should all be supporting eachother guys not undermining eachother. 

• But to do what? Does it just have the effect of a tonic? I realise CBD can't be marketed as for any medical condition yet, so maybe that's why it's so unclear as to what the effect is supposed to be.

It looks like people are attracted to these forums just to comment on this one article.

By the way, when I was in H&B I decided to look for CBD but couldn't find it. It's not with other hemp oils as far as I can see, and online the one brand they stock has very middling reviews, from the taste to the dispenser to the actual effect.

Here's some more scientific opinion, suggesting cannabinoids may have more therapeutic uses than I'd previously found and the applications in epilepsy may be stronger than the NHS piece suggested, and explaining the lack of research:
    http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/further-reaction-to-billy-caldwell-and-the-use-of-cannabis-oil-for-treatment-resistant-epilepsy/

• The CBD oil for Holland & Barratt saved my depressed teen sons life, without a doubt. And I am looking into using it with my 7yr old who is under suspicious of aspergers. We are only at the beginnings, saw the GP today about a referel. No idea how long we will wait until he is seen though. But I want to help him now.