cannabis oil

Our 3 year old boy is in the final process of officially being diagnosed, and we are probably like many  other families , in that we are always online desperately looking for help/ advice  that  may  help our boy, we have come  across articles on cannabis oil  ( albeit mainly on  American sites ) has any one got any views on this? Is it legal here ,does it help, has anyone any experience of it ? 

Parents
  • I think contributors have strong views on this issue and this is a area which has gained much attention in recent times. NICE have limited any pharmacological interventions for Autism unless it is to address Challenging Behaviour. In these circumstances, Atypcial Antipsychotics under supervision are recommended when other interventions fail. Antipsychotics come with a number of undesirable side effects which make sustaining this treatment problematic. 

Depression and Anxeity is commonly Comorbid with Autism and to support these issues, a mixture of anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medications are prescribed. Again, these do have side effects and may not be useful for everyone. Autism specific support is patchy and many adults do not have access to Autism CBT or targeted, relevant mental health support.

I understand that the debate around Cannibis Oil is to do with the compound which is less harmful and more therapeutic. There have been prescribtions for chronic long term pain and recently in the news, for rare forms for epilepsy. It is envitable that this will feature as a possible licenced medicine at some point and it could benefit those on the spectrum in respect to anxiety and other issues. My caution is to ensure that relevant trails and ethics surrounds all medical interventions and we may need more information before this can be used more widely. I also think we need to address the poor support services across the nation for autism to ensure that the right solution is available to each person and pharmaceutical solutions are not the first and only option.

• I think contributors have strong views on this issue and this is a area which has gained much attention in recent times. NICE have limited any pharmacological interventions for Autism unless it is to address Challenging Behaviour. In these circumstances, Atypcial Antipsychotics under supervision are recommended when other interventions fail. Antipsychotics come with a number of undesirable side effects which make sustaining this treatment problematic. 

Depression and Anxeity is commonly Comorbid with Autism and to support these issues, a mixture of anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medications are prescribed. Again, these do have side effects and may not be useful for everyone. Autism specific support is patchy and many adults do not have access to Autism CBT or targeted, relevant mental health support.

I understand that the debate around Cannibis Oil is to do with the compound which is less harmful and more therapeutic. There have been prescribtions for chronic long term pain and recently in the news, for rare forms for epilepsy. It is envitable that this will feature as a possible licenced medicine at some point and it could benefit those on the spectrum in respect to anxiety and other issues. My caution is to ensure that relevant trails and ethics surrounds all medical interventions and we may need more information before this can be used more widely. I also think we need to address the poor support services across the nation for autism to ensure that the right solution is available to each person and pharmaceutical solutions are not the first and only option.

Children
No Data