cannabis oil

Our 3 year old boy is in the final process of officially being diagnosed, and we are probably like many  other families , in that we are always online desperately looking for help/ advice  that  may  help our boy, we have come  across articles on cannabis oil  ( albeit mainly on  American sites ) has any one got any views on this? Is it legal here ,does it help, has anyone any experience of it ? 

• Thank you so much for your unbiased response. Its not nice to be made to feel you are a bad parent or in my case grandparent, or wanting to drug a child so he cannot function, this was not what I meant. It was an article on charlottes web I was reading. I'm sure a lot of people that are new to ASD are always looking desperately for help and advice, it is devastating to know the struggles he faces in life , and it is early days for us yet, but not knowing another child with similar needs you do feel alone. Once again thank you 

• There are examples of its use in America, but the big problem is whether the efficacy is proven. Children seem to get better, and it might therefore have an effect on anxiety etc that might equally be achieved by other medications.

I suspect the problem in UK would be legal, both in terms of the drug and in terms of administering something unproven to children.

I don't think there is anything wrong with raising it here, despite there being strong views held both for and against recreational drugs, which might make the discussion prickly. We need to explore options in a balanced way, whether or not they are feasible under current UK legislation. We don't know enough about the causes of autism to be forthright one way or the other.

There are a lot more cures and facilitating solutions offered in the States, but they tend to be expensive, and create a class divide. There will be parents in America who cannot afford these costly elixirs, whether or not they work.

But I hope the discussion continues, in spite of this hiatus.

• What a nasty reply to some one that is totally new to ASD I am bewildered by your attitude, as stated it was something that came up online , and I was merely asking a question , I'm not sure I will in future 

• No, it isn't legal here and I would take a very dim view of any parent administering drugs to children. I'd have to question what you hope to achieve by using any type of chemical cosh on a child, legal or otherwise.

My best advice would be to be a proper parent - learn your child and help him. Blatting his brain is, in my view, abuse of the worst kind. Others will think differently.

Adult choices are a vastly different matter and are not relevant to your post.