This forum has become toxic to me

I can't sit back and watch some of the hateful posts anymore about things close to my heart because of a person I have known and was close to and then seeing all the kinds of hate they get. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of people thinking lumping a group of people in the same boat as 'predators' is the same as thinking certain ideologies are toxic are the same. 

I'm tired of the hypocrisy of people who fight for certain rights but turn a blind eye to a certain sector of a population and come up with the same old hateful *** that people used to say about gay people. 

• Well said.

Personally I don't really understand the whole gender thing myself and was educated to believe there are only two sexes and that sex and gender were basically the same thing, but as we advance as a species we learn new things about ourselves and the world and where it might not be what I was taught at school I'd rather be one of those who embraces new information, rather than one of those who fear it, and who seek to limit our development in order to maintain a world I recognise. 

So for me, the transgender thing comes down to my belief that so long as they're not hurting anyone else people should be free too live in a way which makes them happy. I remember when transgender people were fair game to be made fun of and ridiculed by the rest of society and I'm ashamed to say I never thought twice of thinking of them as weird, or freaks, as they were often portrayed in the media.

When I was actually made to consider them as people and not just the subjects of jokes I began to realise what kind of world we'd created for transgender people, why their rates of suicide are so high, why they're often faced with violence simply for existing, and I decided I would not contribute to a world in which they are treated as somehow less deserving of the respect the rest of us would expect for ourselves. 

Like you, I now find myself having a lot of admiration for their bravery. I used to serve a couple of cross-dressers (I think in their case it was just that they liked to dress as women, though) and thinking that even if they were wearing dresses they had bigger balls than most to be who they were, proudly. 

• Deleted user has gone and good riddance. They were obviously trying to hijack the spirit of these forums to suit their own agenda.

• Not toxic, just lively.

• I would like to see actual proof of what was said that is considered toxic and why.

Often the people complaining are the most toxic themselves and unable to accept that others may have a different opinion and disagree with them.

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/22551/is-depression-part-of-autism

• I would like to see actual proof of what was said that is considered toxic and why.

Often the people complaining are the most toxic themselves and unable to accept that others may have a different opinion and disagree with them.

• I could tell (for once). 

I really agree with your other post too, and especially the sentiment of sticking with other people who are considered abnormal by the majority of society. I have friends who are trans and they came out whilst I've known them and it is BRAVE. I can't even be brave enough to tell all my friends that I'm autistic and they've completely reinvented themselves and proudly said "this is who I really am". They aren't sex offenders and why should they be presumed to be?! They just want to live their lives being comfortable in their own skin. If anything, they should be inspiring ME to be more comfortable with who I am. 

• You may have a degree and experience in the field, Michelle, but have you watched the relevant Youtube videos, on the matter?

I think not. You 'experts' and your 'knowledge'. SOME OF US ARE CAPABLE OF JUMPING TO OUR OWN CONCLUSIONS WITHOUT THE FACTS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I'm joking by the wayStuck out tongue

• Pretty sure abuse goes on in prisons regardless of whether someone is trans or not. But by all means disregard the fact that violence in prisons is common, regardless of sex and gender and focus only on the fact that some of the cases involve trans inmates. 

You could say 'how many of these cases involved people of x religion or x race' and act like these issues are specific only among those you target, too. You could ask 'how many were autistic?' If you wished to make the claim that autistic people cause trouble in prison or wherever else. It's a load of horse crap and bigotry dressed up as something else. The same as when people say 'we can't let immigrants in we have to take care of our own!' but neglect to mention that when it comes to our own they don't care, hence why we have rising levels of homelessness and poverty in our country. 

Frankly I'd expect people with experience of what it is to be considered abnormal by many in society to have a bit more solidarity with others in a similar situation. 

• Don't apologise if you have evidence of something but please do share it. I am pretty certain there are less trans women assaulting women than there are men assaulting women.

I work in the field of sexual violence and have a law degree so I welcome any research you have to share to support your argument. It is an area of particular interest for me.

• Blanket statement "rarely happens". Plenty of evidence it does, sorry

• I think Deleted User has gone 

• can a person hate a group though, but like the individuals of that group?

what if, say, cola, or monsanto, or some large corporation came along and claimed that it stood for the rights and existance of all.... say.... straight people.... if you hate monsanto then you hate all straight people?... we need to separate groups from individuals.

love all individuals.... be more cynical and distrusting of the groups as the groups always want to use the thing for some ulterior motive.

• This rarely happens and isn't actually about trans women, but still just about men abusing women. 

• Yes, we all need to be respectful and enter into all discussions in a spirit of helpfulness.

We all have different views and are entitled to them, but we can disagree without exclusionary language and  by having respect that none of us can know exactly what another's experience is.

We are all just souls on our own path to growth. We need to remember that.

• Could you elaborate on who and what the issue is? I use this forum to post questions and answer a few questions. Why are you so passionate about this forum what has someone done ?

• Yeah thats why I wondered.. thanks for explaining! 

• I generally just use man. It's not really anyone business whether I'm trans in general in my view. But for medical purposes or sexual relationships is really to be honest the only time I would mention 'transman' or in this post unfortunately because I'm an idiot. LOL