I want life to stop

Lights, sounds, smells, everything is extra intolerable lately. I cant seem to make myself do stuff, I cant make decisions. I feel tired and am getting headaches. Words are harder. I keep almost having meltdown/shutdowns (just today I felt like a meltdown every 30min). Im exhausted 

I want it all to stop, I want to take a break from everything but I cant. I have homework, I have school, on friday we have an assembly which I always get overwhelmed at but im scared ill have a full on meltdown because I seem to not even be able to handle everyday stimuli so how could I survive a room with hundreds of students with everyone screaming to get hyped for stupid turnabout dance 

I started feeling like rubbish for a couple weeks but then the last 3 days have been absolutly unbearable. Why is life so hard

Took me 21min to type this (not even that long of a post...)

• Alright, So not burnout?

• Why not show them some resources on burnout/overwhelm?

You could explain that this is how you are feeling (if this is the case) and then they may be able to offer suggestions for adaptions to your current school demands including reducing them.

• In my opinion Frozen, I don't think you need to worry yourself about burnout.  When most of us experience burnout, we are really buggered and really unable to do anything much at all.  That's how most of us know when we have burnt out......we are barely functional.

You're functional and clear thinking from what I see.

• I dont know how to ask for help. The letter suggestion others gave is good but I dont know what to say

• Oh ok, maybe that’s not an option then. It seems like you are under quite a lot of pressure!

Do you have a mentor/allocated member of staff you can speak to about how you are feeling? If so, maybe they could help you with asking for extensions on assignments for example.

• Yes as the article says it can take months to recover and heal. However it is important to recognise that this process of recovery cannot start until the cause of the burnout is addressed.

As I see it you are at a very important crossroads. If you continue on your current path your burnout could become much more extreme and result in you being unable to function and dropping out completely. 

There is another way. You can get the help you need to address the causes of the problems and reduce demands on you. That way you are able to continue your education and importantly start the recovery process.

If you can't talk to your parents or teachers, which is very understandable, then write everything down for them. You communicate very well on here and autistic people can typically find it much easier to communicate in writing. 

There are ways of learning other than at school. I recall your post on here a few weeks ago about how much more productive you were at completing assignments at home. In that post you had a lot of very good ideas and a good understanding of how you work most effectively.

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/35503/good-week

Maybe some sort of hybrid approach would work for you, whereby you only need to attend on certain days or for the most important lessons. All of the adjustments mentioned in Natalie's post above could be things you could ask for to make the school environment more tolerable. Good luck!

• ^^^ - this! 

I went through similar at school when I was your age and it very near killed me. I was exhausted, my pain sensitivity was at max the worst it had ever been and I felt like I was at breaking point.

Do talk to your teacher or counsellor and explain your situation and that you need support with this. How you feel is valid and no one will think you're being lazy or not serious. The teachers can reduce the workload and offer support and help which will reduce your stresses and then you'll start to feel better gradually.

Also talk to us here. The world can be a lonely place for us autists which is why sites like this one exists so we can support each other when times are hard.

Hang in there it will get better for you. We're all here for you x

• If it is burnout, it says it can last months. If I do have all this for months then how will I pass school? 

• You're a sight for sore eyes...it's been windswept around here!

• Everything you describe is listed as one of the characteristics of autistic burnout listed in this document:

https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/117253/pdf/

• Fatigue, extreme exhaustion
    • Increased sensitivity to sensory input
    • Loss of skills such as functional memory
    • Increasing meltdowns and shutdowns
    • Stop talking
    • Headaches and migraines

It isn't going to get any better while you continue to be put under extreme pressure in an unsuitable environment on a daily basis. Something needs to change and you desperately need the kind of adjustments and accommodations described in the post by Natalie above.

I did just fine with the other 10 years of school, so id probably just be making it up or being lazy.

Burnout has a cumulative impact, so all of those 10 years have built up to the point where you are no longer able to function effectively and mask. It is very real and you're not being lazy. Anyone who may think that is completely invalidating your experience of the world.

As this article explains, you're currently in survival mode. The only way out of that is getting the support you need combined with having the demands placed on you reduced.

https://www.barrierstoeducation.co.uk/burnout

• Im sorry you are feeling similarly 

Thanks for the ideas. I might try to get help from the school 

• Slight smile

Ive heard of SAD but ive never had this before so I didnt think that could be it. Unless you can develop SAD later?

• Hi FrozenHeart. Apart from the headaches, that sounds exactly like I'm feeling at the moment. I know it doesn't help much but you're not alone. I try to remember that the bad days don't last forever, they will pass and good days will come. 

I don't know what schools are like where you are but I have experience of schools in the UK. I worked in a secondary school as a SEND (special educational needs and disabilities) teaching assistant until I ended up with burnout from the sensory overload of the school environment! That's how I realised that I was autistic! The school I worked at made lots of adaptions for autistic students that might help you so I would suggest you talk to your school and see what they can do for you. Adaptions in the UK include leaving a lesson 5 minutes early so that you don't have to deal with busy corridors, skipping assemblies, collecting your lunch early or from a separate area to avoid the queue, a lunch club in a quiet, low sensory room, toilet passes so if you are too anxious to go during busy break times, you can leave the lesson, a pass to allow you to step outside the classroom or go for a 5 minute walk. I know it's hard but I think your school should be supporting you better.

• Bloody good post there number.. 

• 21 mins is very quick for that kind of post.

You are kind to us, now be kinder to yourself.

Someone suggested the time of year.

There's a thing called SAD. 

A guy I know got relief by sitting under a special light.

Might be worth looking into, might not. IDK

• Sounds like quite a burnout. Only real way to deal with it is to reduce all stress. If you are working see your doctor and say "Autism burnout" as you need a long break and rest.  Is close to a breakdown and can lead to such if one keeps trying to push... If in school ask for time out. 

Ypu need rest and days of just relaxing... Going to the beach for walks and things like that.

• Na....Isperg is 952....he's proper old.

• Thank you Slight smile

When your 896 years old like me

Wow you must be in the world record book for being so old! haha

• Evening Frozen.

I hear you.  Even an old boy like me feels like you describe, more often than I care to admit.

I'd love to tell you it gets easier....but I'm not sure it does....but I definitely have more tools to deal with it these days....so I make it look easier.  I think I only found the right tools for me because I had too.  You will too - I am ABSOLUTELY sure of that.  Your intelligence and flair shines out mate.  When your 896 years old like me, you'll be better than me at it....you'll be like a swan.  I'm more like a brick wall!

Don't panic.  I often think of these types of times like being on the beach, in the sea, but only waist high in water, but the waves are strong and big and can knock you off your feet if you are not careful.  However, if you know they are coming, it makes it easier to prepare for them.  You brace when you see them about to hit you....kinda hold your breath, not afraid, because you KNOW you are strong enough to cope with a wave, because they only last for a moment.  When the wave has passed, relax, rest....only for a minute....because you know another wave is coming again soon....but that little rest is super valuable!

You can make it fun in your own head.  I do.  If I'm going to be doing something I find difficult, I take it as a personal challenge.....like running a short race, jumping some hurdles, dodging a bundle of unruly puppies that are all running at you at the same time....or doing a difficult painting....when you have done loads of good stuff on it, but you know you can mess it up with the next really difficult bit, so you try and get real calm, real quick....breathe....focus.

I have faith in you.  I don't often have faith in people.  You are damn cool.

Life is hard.  I reckon its hard for everyone.  Those nutty kids you describe at assembly, you probably think they don't have a care in the world....but they DO....they DEFINITELY DO....

It's brilliant that you are so calm and rational about how you feel.  That is a GREAT sign.  You're clever and wise.  So use your clever and use your wise.  I don't know how it works in your world, but if you get calm inside....you'll be fine.

Rooting for you mate.  Be well, be calm and keep clever....you can do those things....I've seen you do it lots of times.

Rest when you can.

Yours

Number.

• Oh don't worry about being taken seriously. They will listen to you, it's their job and they have to take you seriously and will be as supportive as possible. That's been my case with my own. Just having someone know how things are has helped me a lot. It's a weight of my shoulders and I think if you choose to write to yours it will be the same for you too. Remember you're 16 now, school is a lot harder now than it was 10 years ago for you and the counselor will be aware of this as well.

You don't have to write to the counselor, maybe write to yourself first and see how that works out for you and then you can take that in to the counselor if you decide to see one in the end. That's something my counselor suggested I do and this has also been helpful for me. It's a way of getting my worries and negative thoughts off my mind.

Give it a try and see how it goes. You have nothing to lose by trying this. Hopefully it will be useful for you.