I want life to stop

Lights, sounds, smells, everything is extra intolerable lately. I cant seem to make myself do stuff, I cant make decisions. I feel tired and am getting headaches. Words are harder. I keep almost having meltdown/shutdowns (just today I felt like a meltdown every 30min). Im exhausted 

I want it all to stop, I want to take a break from everything but I cant. I have homework, I have school, on friday we have an assembly which I always get overwhelmed at but im scared ill have a full on meltdown because I seem to not even be able to handle everyday stimuli so how could I survive a room with hundreds of students with everyone screaming to get hyped for stupid turnabout dance 

I started feeling like rubbish for a couple weeks but then the last 3 days have been absolutly unbearable. Why is life so hard

Took me 21min to type this (not even that long of a post...)

Parents
  • Everything you describe is listed as one of the characteristics of autistic burnout listed in this document:

https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/117253/pdf/

• Fatigue, extreme exhaustion
    • Increased sensitivity to sensory input
    • Loss of skills such as functional memory
    • Increasing meltdowns and shutdowns
    • Stop talking
    • Headaches and migraines

It isn't going to get any better while you continue to be put under extreme pressure in an unsuitable environment on a daily basis. Something needs to change and you desperately need the kind of adjustments and accommodations described in the post by Natalie above.

I did just fine with the other 10 years of school, so id probably just be making it up or being lazy.

Burnout has a cumulative impact, so all of those 10 years have built up to the point where you are no longer able to function effectively and mask. It is very real and you're not being lazy. Anyone who may think that is completely invalidating your experience of the world.

As this article explains, you're currently in survival mode. The only way out of that is getting the support you need combined with having the demands placed on you reduced.

https://www.barrierstoeducation.co.uk/burnout

• Everything you describe is listed as one of the characteristics of autistic burnout listed in this document:

https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/117253/pdf/

• Fatigue, extreme exhaustion
    • Increased sensitivity to sensory input
    • Loss of skills such as functional memory
    • Increasing meltdowns and shutdowns
    • Stop talking
    • Headaches and migraines

It isn't going to get any better while you continue to be put under extreme pressure in an unsuitable environment on a daily basis. Something needs to change and you desperately need the kind of adjustments and accommodations described in the post by Natalie above.

I did just fine with the other 10 years of school, so id probably just be making it up or being lazy.

Burnout has a cumulative impact, so all of those 10 years have built up to the point where you are no longer able to function effectively and mask. It is very real and you're not being lazy. Anyone who may think that is completely invalidating your experience of the world.

As this article explains, you're currently in survival mode. The only way out of that is getting the support you need combined with having the demands placed on you reduced.

https://www.barrierstoeducation.co.uk/burnout

Children
  • Burn Out -   

last August , After I fled the fire that burned down my town and all that I owned I felt very much like you describe for days and weeks at a time.

One day, aimlessly looking through a donation pile where people were picking through for clothing, I found a clip board with some paper in it. I clutched it and kept it with me everywhere I went. It gave me a sense on purpose and became a sort of totem.

I had had a business in which I did a lot of "executive" decision making before the fire so as I held the clip board I could channel that executive" mode again, even if it was a sort of play acting: It was like Id forgotten how to do it otherwise.

I am good at imitating people though, too, and there were a lot of them around so I just imitated the busiest person there, found some wifi a got a cheap computer and began back at the basics again bit by bit as if it were a new enterprise. The clip board was the key. I had to see it there. I used it to first make a list of all the things needing doing (without thinking of who would have to do them) Then I just went down the list one by one.

I hope there is something in this story to lend you some inspiration or at the very least the knowing that others have been where you are and you can conquer these feelings your having.

want it all to stop, I want to take a break from everything but I cant.

• ^^^ - this! 

I went through similar at school when I was your age and it very near killed me. I was exhausted, my pain sensitivity was at max the worst it had ever been and I felt like I was at breaking point.

Do talk to your teacher or counsellor and explain your situation and that you need support with this. How you feel is valid and no one will think you're being lazy or not serious. The teachers can reduce the workload and offer support and help which will reduce your stresses and then you'll start to feel better gradually.

Also talk to us here. The world can be a lonely place for us autists which is why sites like this one exists so we can support each other when times are hard.

Hang in there it will get better for you. We're all here for you x

• If it is burnout, it says it can last months. If I do have all this for months then how will I pass school? 

• You're a sight for sore eyes...it's been windswept around here!