Diagnosed today

Hello everyone! My youngest son (12) has finally been diagnosed today, 10 years after I first called my health visitor in tears. I know this isn't the end of the journey, and perhaps I should be sad, but I've always known and finally, FINALLY, this might mean that his mainstream school will take notice and provide adequate allowances for Jack's behaviour. So far, he has narrowly missed exclusion many times and was labelled a naughty boy (he also has ODD, possibly PDA, anxiety and dyslexia)

But just wanted to say hi to everyone and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Happy Otter X 

• Sorry my previous message sent before I was a ready!

I was just going to say I suppose it will be slow little gains at a time and never giving up as you say.

Sending lots of positive thoughts xx

• Hi Faith35 and Cricketer,

I agree with Faith35, it's very reassuring to hear from you Cricketer. Like you Faith35 I just want our little boy to have a fulfilling happy life. I also feel we could conquer so many of our little boy's struggles if he could talk to us and we also pray he gets there. He is also a stubborn little thing and to be honest at the moment I don't think he feels he needs to talk, as for the moment he can get by requesting what he wants (food, his toys) by taking us to them. So now I'm really trying to play a bit dumb and make him work a bit harder when asking for things in the hope that he'll start to see the benefits of talking! 

• Hi Cricketer

was nice to read your post. It has given me some reassurance that altough things may be tough my daughter can and will have a bright future. It was lovely to read all the activities your children do. You yourself show that living a normal life is achievable. My daughter will soon be 3 years old. The toughest/biggest obstacle is her not speaking. Many members of my family believe her speech will come its just taking longer. I only pray that this is the case but I'm scared to build my hopes up incase it doesn't happen. I feel if we conquered this it would solve so many issues. we're either of your children late to speak? I'm trying many techniques from speech and language sessions and although I've seen small improvements I strongly believe she's so stubborn she will only begin to talk when she is ready and on on her terms. 

Again thanks for your post. You're living proof that all the things I want my daughter to achieve are obtainable with perseverance and my guidance xx

• Hi my daughter is now nearly eighteen and 4 years ago knowing something was wrong and trying to tell doctors i thought it was Autism with no success and after a call from the police she was finally assessed and diagmosed with High Functioning Autism. With help from the local Cahms team and much perserverence she is doing well and hopes to go to University. She can do things other children or young adults cannot do, plays the drums, plays County Women's Cricket despite despraxia, cooks etc. Things are still difficult but take one day at a time. Two years ago my youngest son was diagnosed with ASD with short term memory loss and now goes to a special needs school, but leads a full and active life, also plays drums and a talented sportsman especially cricket. Today at 63 have been diagnosed with Asperger's while life has been difficult and much has now been explained, hand on heart i regret nothing, held down a job for 35 years, played sport, coached and played cricket all my life at a reasonably high level (still playing County sebiors cricket), been happily married for 21 years, basically i am saying never give up, anything is possible with guidance and peserverence and although there will be very hard times and you will sometimes feel the world is against you, your child will learn to manage the condition and prosper.

• Hi Beds14

wow! Sounds like your explaining my life. I have 3 children so like you life is already hectic. I actually welled up when you wrote about seeing other children reaching milestones.  I feel the same and that can make me feel guilty. I have a nephew also two. His vocabulary has exploded. I listen and only wish I was having these conversations I see my sister have. Car journeys can be gut wrenching driving in silence. My daughter just stares out the window taking the world in. I wish I knew whats going through her mind. She is practically non verbal but has started pointing to what she wants. I guess this is a positive sign. I find music to be helpful as she seems more willing to sing.

Dont think you're over reacting.  Just remember you know him better than anyone. I think a mothers instinct is rarely wrong. Like your son, my daughter shows many characteristics other than the delay in speech and language. I feel the hardest thing is the meltdowns over the smallest thing. Some days it can take forever to calm her down. I see the frustration in her face not being able to explain how she feels and I feel so helpless.

I'll look into ABA. I'll feel better knowing I'm trying other avenues whilst waiting for our next appointment. 

Just remember our little ones are special in their own way. We won't love them any less. No matter what happens we'll be there to guide and love them through it. 

Thanks for your positive thoughts xx

• Hi Faith35, our little boy doesn't yet technically have a final diagnosis either so we know how you feel. We know he's on the autism spectrum - he's non-verbal at the moment and has other characteristic behaviour, but my family in particular almost seem to dismiss it and think I'm over-reacting. I know bringing up any toddler is difficult, but autism seems to have an impact on all aspects of life - behaviour, eating, sleeping.....so it is really hard! I also find it very difficult seeing toddlers of family/our NCT group. Obviously I'm very happy for them, but seeing other toddlers who are developing so rapidly and seemingly with ease is heartbreaking when you see your little one struggling.We are also trying to focus on the here and now but it's extremely difficult not to worry about the future and picture what life might be like for our whole family.

At the moment I'm making a real effort to choose positivity - a positive mind attracts a positive life - isn't that what they say?! Our little boy is a gorgeous little guy and others have recommended an intensive interaction programme and also ABA which we're hoping to try, so maybe they'll make a difference. 

So sending lots of positive thoughts! x

• Hi my 2 year old daughter just had her first appointment with a paediatrician. Like I suspected they have said it looks like autism. Still have to wait to be fully diagnosed. Felt daunting knowing this is the first step of a long journey. I also feel isolated at times as family members and friends although they try never really understand how demanding and draining it can be. As it's early days I'm still hearing the " she'll be fine " comment which i know deep down won't be the case. Nice to read there are others in my position and I'm not really alone. Still wishing I could just push a button and fix everything. Trying to focus on the here and now but I worry what the future holds. Wondering if school is going to be a struggle and if her school years will be isolated. Wishing all of you in this position strength and warm hugs x

• Hi everyone! Our little boy has recently been diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum. He's only 2yrs old and we also have a baby girl, so together they keep us rather busy! It's a pretty scary and isolating time at the moment, so we're keen to chat/perhaps meet with those going through a similar situation.

Bye for now :)