Diagnosed today

Hello everyone! My youngest son (12) has finally been diagnosed today, 10 years after I first called my health visitor in tears. I know this isn't the end of the journey, and perhaps I should be sad, but I've always known and finally, FINALLY, this might mean that his mainstream school will take notice and provide adequate allowances for Jack's behaviour. So far, he has narrowly missed exclusion many times and was labelled a naughty boy (he also has ODD, possibly PDA, anxiety and dyslexia)

But just wanted to say hi to everyone and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Happy Otter X 

Parents
  • Hi Beds14

wow! Sounds like your explaining my life. I have 3 children so like you life is already hectic. I actually welled up when you wrote about seeing other children reaching milestones.  I feel the same and that can make me feel guilty. I have a nephew also two. His vocabulary has exploded. I listen and only wish I was having these conversations I see my sister have. Car journeys can be gut wrenching driving in silence. My daughter just stares out the window taking the world in. I wish I knew whats going through her mind. She is practically non verbal but has started pointing to what she wants. I guess this is a positive sign. I find music to be helpful as she seems more willing to sing.

Dont think you're over reacting.  Just remember you know him better than anyone. I think a mothers instinct is rarely wrong. Like your son, my daughter shows many characteristics other than the delay in speech and language. I feel the hardest thing is the meltdowns over the smallest thing. Some days it can take forever to calm her down. I see the frustration in her face not being able to explain how she feels and I feel so helpless.

I'll look into ABA. I'll feel better knowing I'm trying other avenues whilst waiting for our next appointment. 

Just remember our little ones are special in their own way. We won't love them any less. No matter what happens we'll be there to guide and love them through it. 

Thanks for your positive thoughts xx

• Hi Beds14

wow! Sounds like your explaining my life. I have 3 children so like you life is already hectic. I actually welled up when you wrote about seeing other children reaching milestones.  I feel the same and that can make me feel guilty. I have a nephew also two. His vocabulary has exploded. I listen and only wish I was having these conversations I see my sister have. Car journeys can be gut wrenching driving in silence. My daughter just stares out the window taking the world in. I wish I knew whats going through her mind. She is practically non verbal but has started pointing to what she wants. I guess this is a positive sign. I find music to be helpful as she seems more willing to sing.

Dont think you're over reacting.  Just remember you know him better than anyone. I think a mothers instinct is rarely wrong. Like your son, my daughter shows many characteristics other than the delay in speech and language. I feel the hardest thing is the meltdowns over the smallest thing. Some days it can take forever to calm her down. I see the frustration in her face not being able to explain how she feels and I feel so helpless.

I'll look into ABA. I'll feel better knowing I'm trying other avenues whilst waiting for our next appointment. 

Just remember our little ones are special in their own way. We won't love them any less. No matter what happens we'll be there to guide and love them through it. 

Thanks for your positive thoughts xx

Children
No Data