Autism and Tattoos on autism?

So I'm 43 and have never gotten a tattoo. The decision not to get one was purely a logical one. I rationed that we are continuously evolving and what our interests are today are not likely to appeal to us un the years to follow.

Anyone else think the same?

• This rationale is why I got all my tattoos where I don't normally look. Think like Back of legs, Back of arms, Back. Sometimes I go a year not remembering I have them. 

• I think some of us want (need, obsessively!) to understand things though. Of course some people might say they don't understand in a judgy way, but usually when I say it I mean that I would like to understand but can't intuit it or work it out logically.

As I have sensory issues and needle phobia there is just no way I could ever consider body art myself, but tattoos can be very interesting and good to look at. Somehow when I see them, although I know they were done with needles I don't think about that so much as the subject matter, and can appreciate and admire them like I might admire art or clothing. Or equally, dislike some as art is subjective.

But body piercings I do struggle more with because I can't seem to get past thinking about what sort of sensation it would cause, all the time, even if it was removed there would be a hole and then the sensation of it being put back. It's the same whether it is a simple earring or a more extreme piercing, or the ear tag on a cow (please don't find that offensive that I would compare a human to a cow, I care about animals), or someone who has to have a medical thing implanted in them. Or as for the hole, like a tooth removal, which is not something I enjoy or want!

I am not judging a person with piercings, I have to assume they either like the sensation or maybe they are hypo-sensitive and don't feel it much. I can't even stand wearing glasses for long and prefer to squint because I don't like the feeling of them touching my face. Also I would be very worried about it getting caught on something and tearing, because I am hypersensitive to pain and anxious about damaging myself.

Please don't feel obliged to explain (although don't hold back either if you don't mind discussing it) I just wanted to say why some people here might say those sort of things but probably don't mean them the same way a NT would. And those of us with hyper empathy do care, whether people want us to or not.

• I am a bit sensitive to touch, but it was ok. It was on my shoulder. I didn’t eat enough before hands, so I did pass out, but once I recovered it was fine. Not too painfull.

• Are you sensitive to touch at all? And did it hurt bad? :)

• I got my first tattoo last month. I though about it for 10 years before doing it.

• I rationed that we are continuously evolving and what our interests are today are not likely to appeal to us un the years to follow.

I actually took this into account when I got my first tattoo- it's a floral tattoo in reference to my favourite book, but if I ever do go off the book then I have a nice non-specific floral tattoo that won't annoy me every time I look at it and won't need to be covered up.

• I've always wanted one but i assumed they would hurt me more as i am sensitive to touch.  I'm in my 40's now so i don't think i'll bother.

• It isn't really for you to understand. It is for the individual who is getting them done. And, as it doens t affect anyone but that individual  there is literally no reason for anyone else to understand or care  

• I am covered in tattoos, with multiple piercings. Whilst they may be a fad to some, I have waned tattoos and piercings since I was a small child. I have the same main interests as I did decades ago, I enjoy the same music and clothes, films, etc. I had my first tattoo at 27, and the only thing I regret about some of them is that the artistry was not as good as would have liked. The choice of subject, however, is just as appealing to me now as it was nearly 20 years ago. Some people love tattoos and some people don't. There are many non autistic people out there with tattoo regrets. If anything, I thought harder about each one prior to having then done, so I knew that I was making the right decision. 

• I've considered getting tattoos before. I think really good body art can look beautiful, and the artist part of me can appreciate that. I also think there are some things that you could get because they aren't things you'd get bored of - like the names of your children, for example, or a memorial tattoo for a loved one who has died. But I think its probably wise if the art work you get inked means more to you than just a current interest or something pretty because everyone else is doing it or, heaven forbid, because you got drunk and thought it would be funny. 

• neither do I -

---- except for this example ----- once met a soldier who had his army number tattooed  all over his body ( every 12 inches or so )  so in the event he was blown to bits any part would identify him and they could collect him back together again !!!!    

• I don't understand why people have tattoos?  Nor things like tongue piercings.

• Never felt the urge to have a tattoo.  I sometimes get a felt pen and draw on myself without realising I'm doing it ( some sort of stimming I suppose!) but that is not really for decoration and is easily removed.  There are plenty of other things I'd rather spend my limited funds on than tattoos which on other people seem to fade to a blue colour and lose their vibrancy after a very short time.  My grandfather, who married in his teens, carried a tattoo of a girls name that was not my grandmother.  Some things are perhaps better not done!

• I don’t have any tattoos. I think I would end up regretting it if I did because I think i would get fed up of looking at them. It’s becoming more rare not to have any tattoos these days. I thought about getting one in the past just so I could say I’ve had one and knew what it felt like, I changed my mind now though.

• Got some tatts and a few piercings when I was a teenager, mostly because I could, but also because it garnered attention from the people around me at the time.  The piercings are long gone but the tattoos remain, serving as a daily reminder (as if one were needed) of the foolishness of my youth.  Risky behaviour was my thing, logic took a back seat.  That was my mask I suppose.

Don't know how I managed tbh, stepped through the door and there were these 5 or 6 muscled skinhead biker guys all staring at me as if to say 'you lost?' lol.  I don't think I'd have the stones to even walk into a tattoo parlour today.  

• You don't put stickers on a Ferrari.   Smiley