Autism and Tattoos on autism?

So I'm 43 and have never gotten a tattoo. The decision not to get one was purely a logical one. I rationed that we are continuously evolving and what our interests are today are not likely to appeal to us un the years to follow.

Anyone else think the same?

Parents Reply Children
  • I think some of us want (need, obsessively!) to understand things though. Of course some people might say they don't understand in a judgy way, but usually when I say it I mean that I would like to understand but can't intuit it or work it out logically.

As I have sensory issues and needle phobia there is just no way I could ever consider body art myself, but tattoos can be very interesting and good to look at. Somehow when I see them, although I know they were done with needles I don't think about that so much as the subject matter, and can appreciate and admire them like I might admire art or clothing. Or equally, dislike some as art is subjective.

But body piercings I do struggle more with because I can't seem to get past thinking about what sort of sensation it would cause, all the time, even if it was removed there would be a hole and then the sensation of it being put back. It's the same whether it is a simple earring or a more extreme piercing, or the ear tag on a cow (please don't find that offensive that I would compare a human to a cow, I care about animals), or someone who has to have a medical thing implanted in them. Or as for the hole, like a tooth removal, which is not something I enjoy or want!

I am not judging a person with piercings, I have to assume they either like the sensation or maybe they are hypo-sensitive and don't feel it much. I can't even stand wearing glasses for long and prefer to squint because I don't like the feeling of them touching my face. Also I would be very worried about it getting caught on something and tearing, because I am hypersensitive to pain and anxious about damaging myself.

Please don't feel obliged to explain (although don't hold back either if you don't mind discussing it) I just wanted to say why some people here might say those sort of things but probably don't mean them the same way a NT would. And those of us with hyper empathy do care, whether people want us to or not.