Autism and Tattoos on autism?

So I'm 43 and have never gotten a tattoo. The decision not to get one was purely a logical one. I rationed that we are continuously evolving and what our interests are today are not likely to appeal to us un the years to follow.

Anyone else think the same?

Parents
  • I don't understand why people have tattoos?  Nor things like tongue piercings.

• It isn't really for you to understand. It is for the individual who is getting them done. And, as it doens t affect anyone but that individual  there is literally no reason for anyone else to understand or care  

• I think some of us want (need, obsessively!) to understand things though. Of course some people might say they don't understand in a judgy way, but usually when I say it I mean that I would like to understand but can't intuit it or work it out logically.

As I have sensory issues and needle phobia there is just no way I could ever consider body art myself, but tattoos can be very interesting and good to look at. Somehow when I see them, although I know they were done with needles I don't think about that so much as the subject matter, and can appreciate and admire them like I might admire art or clothing. Or equally, dislike some as art is subjective.

But body piercings I do struggle more with because I can't seem to get past thinking about what sort of sensation it would cause, all the time, even if it was removed there would be a hole and then the sensation of it being put back. It's the same whether it is a simple earring or a more extreme piercing, or the ear tag on a cow (please don't find that offensive that I would compare a human to a cow, I care about animals), or someone who has to have a medical thing implanted in them. Or as for the hole, like a tooth removal, which is not something I enjoy or want!

I am not judging a person with piercings, I have to assume they either like the sensation or maybe they are hypo-sensitive and don't feel it much. I can't even stand wearing glasses for long and prefer to squint because I don't like the feeling of them touching my face. Also I would be very worried about it getting caught on something and tearing, because I am hypersensitive to pain and anxious about damaging myself.

Please don't feel obliged to explain (although don't hold back either if you don't mind discussing it) I just wanted to say why some people here might say those sort of things but probably don't mean them the same way a NT would. And those of us with hyper empathy do care, whether people want us to or not.

• I think some of us want (need, obsessively!) to understand things though. Of course some people might say they don't understand in a judgy way, but usually when I say it I mean that I would like to understand but can't intuit it or work it out logically.

As I have sensory issues and needle phobia there is just no way I could ever consider body art myself, but tattoos can be very interesting and good to look at. Somehow when I see them, although I know they were done with needles I don't think about that so much as the subject matter, and can appreciate and admire them like I might admire art or clothing. Or equally, dislike some as art is subjective.

But body piercings I do struggle more with because I can't seem to get past thinking about what sort of sensation it would cause, all the time, even if it was removed there would be a hole and then the sensation of it being put back. It's the same whether it is a simple earring or a more extreme piercing, or the ear tag on a cow (please don't find that offensive that I would compare a human to a cow, I care about animals), or someone who has to have a medical thing implanted in them. Or as for the hole, like a tooth removal, which is not something I enjoy or want!

I am not judging a person with piercings, I have to assume they either like the sensation or maybe they are hypo-sensitive and don't feel it much. I can't even stand wearing glasses for long and prefer to squint because I don't like the feeling of them touching my face. Also I would be very worried about it getting caught on something and tearing, because I am hypersensitive to pain and anxious about damaging myself.

Please don't feel obliged to explain (although don't hold back either if you don't mind discussing it) I just wanted to say why some people here might say those sort of things but probably don't mean them the same way a NT would. And those of us with hyper empathy do care, whether people want us to or not.

Children
No Data